EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Sep 21, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,112 of 1,557
Um. I'm listening right now but don't know what to tell you.. It's really not my type of music, the iem can't change that :)

ps. If you're interested in a 8.A pm me, I've put mine up for sale.

well i was exited about your price but then i realized its a custom so i have a thing against custom as i will not be able to reshell it where i live, and if i decide to sell it i will be doomed as no one buys customs in my country

which iems do u own now, i see you have the solar am I right, which one is ur ultimate favourite

as for the song its not my type as well, but it can tell me which iem can i still use with bad recordings, so i assume you struggled with that song on your velvet am I right?

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,113 of 1,557
Well I struggled with the song, but it didn't have anything to do with the recording :) Again, the Velvet is quite forgiving. I've had far more sensitive iems, and the Velvet isn't among them also because it doesn't sound analytical at all. Can't you also buy it from Amazon and send it back if you don't like it?

As for ultimate favorite, right now it's the Solar of course but it's a 10 BA ciem that costs twice as much as the Velvet. But if I lost all my iems and had to buy one back, the price/quality of the Velvet is prob unbeatable.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,114 of 1,557
  Well I struggled with the song, but it didn't have anything to do with the recording :) Again, the Velvet is quite forgiving. I've had far more sensitive iems, and the Velvet isn't among them also because it doesn't sound analytical at all. Can't you also buy it from Amazon and send it back if you don't like it?

As for ultimate favorite, right now it's the Solar of course but it's a 10 BA ciem that costs twice as much as the Velvet. But if I lost all my iems and had to buy one back, the price/quality of the Velvet is prob unbeatable.

no amazon for me as they dont ship to israel

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,116 of 1,557
Ah that sucks.. Does your friend have the same music taste as you?

no we both like edm and synthpop, but i use that song as to me its such a bad reocording that i sometimes like to see what an iem would sound when i have to listen to such bad reocrdings

with shure 846 its torture, but with my z5 i can accept it, with my audeze lcd2 its also a pain

i do not know how come with z5 almost everything sounds good, even that bad recording

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,118 of 1,557
  well guys u are making me more and more intrigiued

how about comparing it to heir 8

now to test an iem I always use a bad recording, which can be an ultimate journey of pain, to see how much an iem can handle badly recorded music so here is my link to for that song, tell me how it sounds on the velvet can you tolerate it, with the z5 i can listen to it but with the shure now way at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fofKTumBz88

this is how i test how bad the sound can be on an iem and if i can tolerate listeing to that song on an iem and still enjoy it is a good iem

I loathe metal but I had no problems listening to that song with the Velvet.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,119 of 1,557
  how bout the song i linked , how does it sound on the velvet

I can tolerate it to use your words but enjoy it, not really although I like some metal from time to time and even more so with the Velvet
I'll have to check with a different IEM / headphone to compare (Z7 should be way more forgiving)... never did that kind of testing before :p

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,120 of 1,557
So I went off the deep end, auditioned the ZX2 with the Velvets at a store in Paris... I expected something marginally better than the ZX1 I owned for 2 years, and how wrong was I ! It's a revelation !!! Then again I am not as experienced as you guys are and never owned a high end DAP before, I just didn't expect THIS... I mean the Velvet sound way better on ZX2 than out of the PHA-3 oO. So much so that it's up for sale and I got myself a ZX2 :D

I just *love* the soundstage extra depth, decay is way nicer too and layers oh my they did something right here. Overall what strikes me the most is how "subtle" is the way the ZX2 portrays the sound and also here is that fullness and 3 dimensionality that I was missing from my sources.

Now I need to burn in my unit, apparently a 100 hours is a minimum with the POSCAP / OSCON stuff, and I do notice a difference between the demo unit and mine but even out of the box the ZX2 sounds damn great already... I switched the Velvets to "tight" as it feels like the best synergy with the ZX2 sound sig, wait and see but I am in for hours of sonic bliss :D

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,122 of 1,557
I was looking at the ZX2 for a long time but went with the P1, mostly based on availability. Congrats man, an awesome dap to have!

Thanks :) As usual, kudos to headfiers for providing feedback on the ZX2 thread (although hard to dig up in the 500+ pages !) as you don't find that many reviews and this DAP seem to be polarizing some harsh criticism, nothing like an audition to lift doubts when possible... The great thing is that the Velvet now shine fully and they're just great, be it with jazz or classical I feel with the ZX2 they're more versatile :)

My wallet is in hell but my ears are in heaven :p

Edit : Received the Spinfits today, much better fit for me than the spare Sony tips I had. Since those are bigger, I do have a better and more comfortable seal (I had to insert the Sony deep enough for the housing to be hurting a bit before), you can never insist enough on tips for IEMs, those are really key to enjoying them. I like that the Spinfits are larger than other brand for similar size, L size is perfect. I didn't notice any treble harshness or change in sound sig except better seal means fuller sound and even better bass. The silicon is real good quality, even more comfortable than the Westone star tips I used with SE846 and on par with the IE800 tips which were really comfy.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,123 of 1,557
After dozens of hours listening to the Velvet with the ZX2 and over 100h burn in of the DAP, it's a whole different game in terms of SQ ! I wouldn't have imagined that the ZX2 would blow the PHA-3 away pure and simple : much more depth, better decay and timbre, textured bass and mids and refined high and better imaging too. Vocals are rendered beautifully, much more emotional than I gave them credit for initially. Overall the ZX2 brought me the emotion I was missing from FiiO E18 or PHA-3. Pure joy... I'll be careful in the future of judging an IEM before giving it a listen on different sources of different grades...

The Velvet are now as "velvety" as can be, smooth yet detailed, engaging and involving... hard to put down ! 

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,125 of 1,557
The PHA-3 uses the ES9018 dac right? I think I have heard more often that it is technically highly capable dac but lacks emotion

Yes it does and I have read that, also read many times that implementation is more determining than the DAC chip, and of course there is the amp part too... ESS9018 is deemed one of the top chips and used in many high end DAPs and amps. PHA-3 is on the warm side, it's not cold and analytical but definitely not as lively at the ZX2 in house DAC / amp (with the Velvet). Pairing is also key, the PHA-3 paired well with the Z7 better than ZX2, but the Z7 is so dark it makes sense.

I'd love to have the opportunity to test (or re-test the ones I know in particular) the ZX2 with other IEMs out of curiosity, the Velvet are sure a very good match :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back