EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
May 3, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #781 of 1,557
  Shure Se846 has more of a mid-forward presentation whereas Earsonics has a slight v-shaped presentation. In terms of bass, I feel both are equally matched though the SE846's are a bit tighter. The highs extend more in the treble-based setting of the Earsonics velvet compared to the Se846's which I felt was more rolled-off. The velvet's are also smoother across the range whereas the Se846's have a texture to its bass.

Overall, the Earsonics definitely competes on the same calibre as the Shure SE846's but it's ultimately about your preferences at the end of the day. Do you want a more mid-forward sound with a very natural presentation, outstanding bass and slightly subdued highs [The SE846s] or do you want a very smooth, lush sound signature with great bass, slight upper mid recession but well-extended highs [The Velvets]?

well to be honest and i am so confused which iem is for me as i have the shure and find sometimes the mids not to my liking being forward

the sound sig i look for is

war, rich, thick, layered warm and no fatigue with great bass

people suggested asg2 but i am reading different threads so i do not end up with something like the shure 846

May 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #782 of 1,557
  well to be honest and i am so confused which iem is for me as i have the shure and find sometimes the mids not to my liking being forward

warm, rich, thick, layered warm and no fatigue with great bass

people suggested asg2 but i am reading different threads so i do not end up with something like the shure 846

VELVET

May 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #783 of 1,557

warm, rich, thick, layered warm and no fatigue with great bass

Agree with Ivabign, if you're looking for those particular characteristics, then the velvets are for you. 

May 3, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #784 of 1,557
Velvet mids are not recessed, just upper mids slightly but that's great since it's what makes the sound so smooth and fatigue free. Middle mids (right term? between low and upper mids) are actually very present and sound amazingly musical. Low mids are also so great. Upper mids are slightly recessed but that's what gives these IEMs its unique sound signature.

May 3, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #785 of 1,557

Agree with Ivabign, if you're looking for those particular characteristics, then the velvets are for you. 

so it has rich warm thick layered sound signature and its not harsh at all?

i just want to double confirm

May 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #786 of 1,557
  how does compare it to shure 846 and asg2

Much more musical than SE 846. AGS2? I'd stay away from hybrids if I were you. Well engineered balanced armature drivers are the best.

I would describe the sound as lively, smooth, full and fun. Treble is extended but has no harshness.

May 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #787 of 1,557

It is not the warmest IEM I have ever heard but on the warm mode setting, it is on the warm side of neutral. This IEM has absolutely no fatigue or harshness at all and is one of the selling points of the general Earsonics house sound. Despite it being a balanced-armature set, the notes are weighty and have thickness to them. 

May 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #789 of 1,557
@Ivabign- we've shared a few similar IEMS in the past, and probably enjoy the same sound signature. How would you compare these to your Heir or tralucent?

If you're referring to the Heir Audio 8/8A, they are an interesting juxtaposition. The Heir sound is more musical and is much bigger on the macro-dynamic side of things such as instruments and transient dynamics whereas the Earsonics doesn't place any real emphasis on dynamic sounds. The Earsonics is much more smoother and has notes which are weightier than the Heir's whose notes are slightly thinner. I felt that although both have similar soundstage dimensions, the Heir just have more layering in terms of the sound and so the whole listening experience is more comprehensive. The Earsonics however have better detail retrieval and can pick up small cues whereas the Heir Audio doesn't often reveal every single micro-nuance of tracks. Overall, they are both quite musical but have quite different sound signatures. I would sum the Earsonics as having a classy tuned signature and the Audio's as having an intoxicating, although empowering, sound.

May 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #790 of 1,557

If you're referring to the Heir Audio 8/8A, they are an interesting juxtaposition. The Heir sound is more musical and is much bigger on the macro-dynamic side of things such as instruments and transient dynamics whereas the Earsonics doesn't place any real emphasis on dynamic sounds. The Earsonics is much more smoother and has notes which are weightier than the Heir's whose notes are slightly thinner. I felt that although both have similar soundstage dimensions, the Heir just have more layering in terms of the sound and so the whole listening experience is more comprehensive. The Earsonics however have better detail retrieval and can pick up small cues whereas the Heir Audio doesn't often reveal every single micro-nuance of tracks. Overall, they are both quite musical but have quite different sound signatures. I would sum the Earsonics as having a classy tuned signature and the Audio's as having an intoxicating, although empowering, sound.

sorry to ask can u in simple words tell me from the above which suits me better the velvet of heir audio 8

May 3, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #791 of 1,557
  sorry to ask can u in simple words tell me from the above which suits me better the velvet of heir audio 8

When you said you wanted a thick, warm, layered, rich sound, I was thinking to myself that it fit more of the characteristics of the heir audio 8 than the velvets themselves. I would say that if you want a fatigue free, very smooth sound than the velvets are a good choice. For a layered, more dynamic, rich and musical sound then the Heir Audio 8.

May 4, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #793 of 1,557
I agree with Rockthemboots. If the original question was warm, rich, thick and layered sound I would think you're describing the 8.A. The 8.A and Velvet are a pretty much night and day difference for me, the only thing they have in common is great bass. The 8.A effortlessly produces a huge sound due to its incredibly strong mids. The Velvet might be slightly fuller in the highs, but overal I'd say the 8.A has a much bigger/fuller sound. Switching from the 8.A makes the Velvet appear very V-shaped with distant mids, and a brightish overall signature compared to the warmer and darker 8.A. Male voices sound thinner, more distant and higher in the Velvet compared to the 8.A which becomes especially apparent when listening to low voices like Elvis or Waylon Jennings (to name some extremes). Highs on the other hand are more forward and present (e.g. violins are a little tamed and pushed back in the 8.A but sound beautiful on the Velvet). The 8.A has a more laidback and coherent presentation. The Velvet on the other hand is more energetic and precise in overall presentation, with a punchier bass. They both have a wide soundstage but I'd say the 8.A has more depth and layers while the Velvet presents it more on a plateau (which can make it appear to be slightly wider maybe, both soundstages sound great).

IMO, the difference between the Velvet and 8.A is digital vs. analogue, modern vs. old school. Due its energetic presentation and higher signature the Velvet sounds great for the 'modern' genres like EDM, hip hop, R&B, pop, and metal or hardrock that uses fast or grungy electrical guitars. The analogue, warm, and big sound of the 8.A makes it better for most bands (with the exception of fast music like metal due to the laidback presentation). When I think of th 8.A, I think of old school rock 'n roll, blues and country to name a few.

Ps. Rockthemboots I see you added the 8.0, isn't Heir banned from Head Fi? I thought they removed everything Heir related didn't you get a warning or something 

-edit-
Forgot OP didn't want midforward - def go with the Velvet then

May 4, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #794 of 1,557
I agree with Rockthemboots. The 8.A and Velvet are a pretty much night and day difference for me, the only thing they have in common is great bass. The 8.A effortlessly produces a huge sound due to its incredibly strong mids. The Velvet might be slightly fuller in the highs, but overal I'd say the 8.A has a much bigger/fuller sound. Switching from the 8.A makes the Velvet appear very V-shaped with distant mids, and a brightish overall signature compared to the warmer and darker 8.A. Male voices sound thinner, more distant and higher in the Velvet compared to the 8.A which becomes especially apparent when listening to low voices like Elvis or Waylon Jennings (to name some extremes). The 8.A has a more laidback and coherent presentation. The Velvet on the other hand is more energetic and precise in overall presentation, with a punchier bass. They both have a wide soundstage but I'd say the 8.A has more depth and layers.

IMO, the difference between the Velvet and 8.A is digital vs. analogue, modern vs. old school. Due its energetic presentation and higher signature the Velvet sounds great for the 'modern' genres like EDM, hip hop, R&B, pop, and metal or hardrock that uses fast or grungy electrical guitars. The analogue, warm, and big sound of the 8.A makes it better for most bands (with the exception of fast music like metal due to the laidback presentation). When I think of th 8.A, I think of old school rock 'n roll, blues and country to name a few.

Ps. Rockthemboots I see you added the 8.0, isn't Heir banned from Head Fi? I thought they removed everything Heir related didn't you get a warning or something 

Hi yes that was by mistake actually. It needs to be removed. Agree with what you say on the comparison. The soundstage is fairly similar and large in both cases but yes the 8A has much more of a layered sound (possibly due to all those drivers) which make it sound more engaging. It is not as fast as the velvets which I agree with flinkenick that make the velvets more suited to more modern tracks where fastness and the like dominate.

May 4, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #795 of 1,557
  I agree with Rockthemboots. If the original question was warm, rich, thick and layered sound I would think you're describing the 8.A. The 8.A and Velvet are a pretty much night and day difference for me, the only thing they have in common is great bass. The 8.A effortlessly produces a huge sound due to its incredibly strong mids. The Velvet might be slightly fuller in the highs, but overal I'd say the 8.A has a much bigger/fuller sound. Switching from the 8.A makes the Velvet appear very V-shaped with distant mids, and a brightish overall signature compared to the warmer and darker 8.A. Male voices sound thinner, more distant and higher in the Velvet compared to the 8.A which becomes especially apparent when listening to low voices like Elvis or Waylon Jennings (to name some extremes). The 8.A has a more laidback and coherent presentation. The Velvet on the other hand is more energetic and precise in overall presentation, with a punchier bass. They both have a wide soundstage but I'd say the 8.A has more depth and layers.

I'm behind the curve on this Heir story...is there a link or info to get up to speed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back