Earsonics SM64 vs. Westone W30 and others
May 20, 2016 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rhydonia

100+ Head-Fier

Hi everyone,

I’m having a hard time deciding on which IEM to buy, so I thought I’d ask for some advice. My budget is $400, although that is not set in stone and I’d be willing to spend up to $500 for a really special pair. I do not have a lot of previous experience with high-end audio, but based on what I do know I think I’m looking for a fairly balanced sound signature that has emphasized bass (extended sub-bass especially) but still manages to keep some amount of clarity and is not too dark. I am not interested in an extremely v-shaped sound as I don’t care for the recessed mids and emphasized treble it brings. Soundstage and noise isolation are not particularly important to be, though both would be nice to have. I am a bit concerned about comfort and fit, however, as pretty much no (admittedly low-end) IEMs I've tried have stayed in my ears without falling out. The only brand I’ve found that fits me is Bose (I know, I know). However, I’ve never tried Comply foam tips as some others with hard-to-fits ears have suggested; do you think I’d have good luck with those? Also, I currently do not have any sort of amp, and will be powering these out of my MacBook Pro and iPhone 5s. I am planning on getting an amp in the future, but for now I’d rather splurge on a high-quality IEM and let the rest of the equipment catch up later. So I’m looking for an IEM that will sound fairly good without amplification.

So far, my research had led me to narrow down my choices to this list:

Earsonics SM64
Westone W30
Sennheiser IE80
Dunu DN-2000J
Flare R2Pro

The SM64's are my leading candidate right now, but I'd love any input on any of the above IEMs or any others that might fit my needs. Thank you so much!

May 20, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Hmm W4R might fit you better. All the W lines are exactly the same sounding from what I recall(4, 4R, and 40), and I personally like the design of W4R more than W40. It's a warm sound, and the around the ear cables will definitely help it stay in your ears. I would shy away from Dunu, as, as amazing as the sound is, the fit might not work that well for you. If you're a fan of darker sound, and have bigger ears, IM04 or IM03 might work pretty well too. Just my two cents.

May 21, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the advice! I hadn't considered the W4R's before because they're a discontinued model, but other reviewers seem to agree with you that they sound extremely similar to the W40's, and they're cheaper too. 
biggrin.gif

I was already a little hesitant about the Dunu's because I've heard there can be some issues with sibilance, and the potential fit issues make me even more wary. I think I can cross them off my list, which is a bit of a shame since they seem like they are a great value for the sound. 

The IM03 also sounds tempting- why are there so many good IEMs available that make it hard to decide?!

On another note, I thought I'd throw in the types of music I like to enjoy in case that has any influence. I mainly listen to rock (classic rock, alternative, prog, indie), with some pop, country, and blues thrown in. I also really like vocalists who can do a good falsetto, so any IEM that can make that vocal range stand out would be excellent. Thanks!

May 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 8
  research the trinity audio line of iems ... upcoming better iems offered for less with superior audiophile sound signatures

Thanks for the heads-up about trinity, the Phantom Master 6 seems very intriguing. I like that it has 5 tuning filters, and the kickstarter price seems very reasonable. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 8
I have not heard the Dunu's but have owned the IE80, listened to the w30, and own currently the Sm64, which for not being a hybrid IEM has very good bass, low end, midrange, with more of a smoother up mid to treble but still detailed. Good sound stage for an IEM for sure, and honestly I think it would suit your tastes from what described. I definitely thought they were better the IE80, by a bit too, and the W30 imo were not as good. So I still own mine and wouldn't really consider selling them for anyhthing new. Unless it was like Earsonics Velvet( which there is one used in good condition for 500) or the EM6 or 32. So if that helps then great if not then just ignore my rambling, because I super overtired

Users who are viewing this thread

Back