Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #1,637 of 1,656
If your source has a mono setting give it a try. It's easier to gage the imbalance when both channels play the same sound.

Also as a shot in the dark, check the filters for damage or debris.

What would your budget for a new IEM be?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #1,638 of 1,656
If your source has a mono setting give it a try. It's easier to gage the imbalance when both channels play the same sound.

Also as a shot in the dark, check the filters for damage or debris.

+1, idk what kind of filters SM64 uses but sometimes even just moisture can do this- for instance Etymotic's filters will close up as a protective measure when exposed to excess moisture.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,640 of 1,656
Can one get new filters from Earsonics? I removed them to see if I could get more bass out of them, not sure it's actually an option...

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,641 of 1,656
Thanks guys. I will give Earsonics a call about it but out of curiosity, if it was moisture that was causing it, will Replacing the filters do the trick?

Yes, if you find that removing the filters clears up the imbalance (unless it is a nightmare scenario and whatever was causing the filters to block up also damaged the drivers, but that would probably affect the sound more than just muting it).
Here's a helpful post on removing the filters https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/e...ressions-thread.651654/page-108#post-12892660
I suggest also searching the thread for other pertinent information. Needless to say there is always risk in doing this yourself (i.e. the post after the one I linked lol) vs if Earsonics offers to investigate.

Can one get new filters from Earsonics? I removed them to see if I could get more bass out of them, not sure it's actually an option...

I think there has been some previous suggestions for filters on this thread... In the post I linked above he mentioned it being a Knowles Acoustic Damper which I belive it is possible to purchase from digikey/mouser or hearing aid suppliers, but no idea if these are same diameter. (I think these are the same that people have used with ER4 in place of the Etymotic replacement filters- those might work as well? There are different colors of Knowles available with differing acoustic impedances)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #1,642 of 1,656
Hi folks!

Being curious about the balanced cable from FiiO for these great iems, does anyone know if it is worth the change from the stock cable?

My SM64s would be paired with a X5 III

Thx in advance. :D

Jun 18, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #1,643 of 1,656
Hi folks!

Being curious about the balanced cable from FiiO for these great iems, does anyone know if it is worth the change from the stock cable?

My SM64s would be paired with a X5 III

Thx in advance. :D

Worth it? That cable is inexpensive enough there's really no reason not to try it and see for yourself. :)

Personally, I didn't find the Balanced Output on the X5III much of an improvement over the standard, single-ended output. I hear a bigger difference with some of my other DAP's balanced ports.

Still, like I say, you should buy the cable and see for yourself.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #1,644 of 1,656
Just bought a new SM64. Was an owner of three consecutive ER4S. It seems to me SM64 is easier to drive to than ER4S, correct?

I found that when I use the stock bi-flange, I can hear the bass much better if I push the tip against my ear canal. However, it bounces
back when I relieve the pressure and I couldn't hear the bass that well. Am I suppose to hear those bass? If so, how can I insert
my tips better?

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #1,645 of 1,656
I had an issue with the bass on these...as a general rule, if you don't get a good seal, you don't get good bass. I'd try foamies (Comply), Spin Fit, and/or JVC Spiral Dot tips to get a good seal. I often find the tips included with most iems don't work as well as one of these, and keep a supply of them handy. Steve Guttenberg did a good tutorial on getting a good fit on CNET:
https://www.cnet.com/news/uber-lyft-toyed-with-texas-to-get-their-ride-hailing-way/

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #1,647 of 1,656
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #1,648 of 1,656
Which version of the sm64 is it? bought a used sm64 very cheap, will not be with me until next week.

sm64.jpg

Are there good and cheap symmetrical cables for the sm64?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back