Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #1,607 of 1,656
I just did a small clip to try to prevent that more people ruin their SM64s (and need to send them back to factory). I do this very fast because I'm used to it, I advise you to do it very slowly. It's a simple process, no need to use too much force, just take it easy and learn from it.

You don't need to insert the filter (Knowles acoustic damper) back in with the Etymotic Removal Tool, just put the filter on the table (with the color that represents the number of Ohms of the filter faced up) and push the nozzle of the earpiece against it, like I did at the end. It's actually safer.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #1,608 of 1,656
I just did a small clip to try to prevent that more people ruin their SM64s (and need to send them back to factory). I do this very fast because I'm used to it, I advise you to do it very slowly. It's a simple process, no need to use too much force, just take it easy and learn from it.

You don't need to insert the filter (Knowles acoustic damper) back in with the Etymotic Removal Tool, just put the filter on the table (with the color that represents the number of Ohms of the filter faced up) and push the nozzle of the earpiece against it, like I did at the end.

unfortunately i didn't have one...

actually i didn't want to remove my filter, but suddenly the filter in the right piece is pushed back without reason... so i tried to pull it with a small screwdriver but i ended up pushing it too far, so in the end i pushed the filter in the left piece too

it's still works well btw, but it lost its earsonics sound signature which i love so much :frowning2:

thank you very much anyway for your clip!

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #1,609 of 1,656
One of my filters is slightly deeper than the other, I was going to return them but according to Earsonics it won't make any difference in sound, I believed them and to be honest I don't notice any issues between left and right. But now I know I can fix if I really wanted to.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #1,611 of 1,656
Guys quick question. What cable can I replace my stock ones with? Nothing expensive just within $20-40

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #1,614 of 1,656
I’ve had the TF10 for years, but recently lost my pair so was looking for an upgrade. Recently got these off Amazon (missed the Massdrop), as well as the FLC8S. 
Will probably keep either this or the FLC8S, still on the fence. 

Disclaimer: Everybody’s ears are different, both in terms of physical anatomy and frequency response. I think a lot of the variation that we see in IEM reviews has to do with fit and isolation, as well as what kinds of frequencies we’re sensitive to. 

Comfort:
For me, the SM64 is incredibly comfortable. The plastic shell settles perfectly into the bowl of my ear, and become essentially impossible to dislodge. The stock bi-flange tips are soft and grippy, making for a tight and moderately deep seal.

Cable microphonics are low. It’s a pretty thin twisted cable, soft and pliable. Seems a little fragile and cheap, but works fine. 

Sound:
Let’s address the elephant in the room. Yes, the dropout at 5khz exists and is audible. If you play a tone sweep, you can hear a noticeable dip in that range. It’s a fairly narrow cutout too, centered on 4.8-5.8 khz, at least to my ears. 

I’ve seen people debate the accuracy of the FR graphs for the SM64, but of course, what matters in the end is how that translates into psychoacoustic performance. In this case, the sound signature becomes lush and chocolatey. There’s essentially zero harshness.

Subbass is fairly authoritative, but what really stands out is the midbass. It’s textured and velvety at the same time. Resolving power is excellent — there is a clear distinction between different kinds of drum kicks, for instance, or different types of sawtooth bass synths. Even in lively sections of songs, the bass is both present and well-articulated. Other IEMs can give you bass rumble, but with the SM64, you can hear the different varieties of rumble. 

I’ve heard people complain about the bass on the SM64, and I’m pretty sure that’s a fit issue. The bass sounds dominant to my ears. This is not a bad thing — it’s a warm, enveloping sound. The SM64 brings out an underlying richness to songs. Not sure how accurate it is, but it’s very pleasant and addicting.

Mids are very smooth and present, though not entirely upfront. The 5khz dropout saps a lot of the harshness from cymbals, snare hits — drums seem like they’re a few feet offstage. Vocals sound sweet, never sharp. Depending on the recording the SM64 is capable of making singers sound quite intimate. Rihanna on “ANTI” is lively and very much in your ear; so is Adele on “25.” I think this is part because the atmospherics are a little more closed in on the SM64— it’s just a less airy sound. 

Treble is fine — a little veiled at times, but precise. Brass instruments are particularly piquant and stand out against the midbass backdrop. 

I’ve never had a good ear for soundstage, so I can’t speak to that aspect. For IEMS, I think it’s more of a psychological construct anyway hard to pinpoint whether it is a matter of driver placement / soundtube architecture / subtleties in frequency response — probably a combination of all that. The SM64 is not better or worse in terms of pinpointing instruments to my ear. 

Comparison:
I received the FLC8S around the same time, and have been switching back and forth. The SM64 is definitely harder to drive, but can be handled fairly well by an iPhone 6, and easily by a Macbook Pro. 

People seem to prefer the red-gray-gold tuning on the FLC8S, but that sounds overly harsh to my ears. Red-gray-gunmetal or even red-black-gunmetal on the FLC8S seems like a good match for the SM64, but the SM64 is still darker and lacks some of that treble excitement. 

In terms of bass quantity and accuracy, I feel the SM64 has the FLC8S beat. Especially in complicated passages, the bass on the FLC8S can sometimes sound a touch confused or undifferentiated. The SM64 is both precise and liquid — it’s a pretty addicting sound signature. 

With the red tuning plug, I would give the FLC8S just a slight edge on subbass (<50hz). But overall, the bass is by far much thicker and probably bit more pleasant on the SM64.
From what I remember of the TF10, the bass response and accuracy is probably comparable? What really stood out to me with the TF10 was the often harsh upper-mids/treble, which is completely tamed on the SM64.

(Also, BTW, the FLC8S stock cable is fairly disastrous — the version I got had no earguides so the wire won’t stay wrapped around the top of my ear. Walking around sabotages the fit, and the microphonics get pretty ugly. Will probably discuss this and more in a forthcoming review.)

Anyway, just wanted to add my thoughts to the thread. This is an articulate IEM — if you want detail, it's definitely there — but the big draw is the liquid, warm sound signature. Extremely pleasant to listen to. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,615 of 1,656
So, I just got a pair of SM64 for 299 and wow, these sound amazing. I can't believe how much bass quantity there is in this small IEM and how it doesnt leak into the upper frequency. But man there is a lot of bass! Not a bad thing though. Vocals woah....they can sound like you are just standing really near the singer. Really intimate in terms of vocals in my experience. I'm really glad I bought these. Now I have to wait for the my other purchase coming in march >__>. 

EDIT: I'm also using my westone star silicone tips for these.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #1,616 of 1,656
http://www.head-fi.org/t/829138/earsonics-sm64
Just gonna leave this here :)

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,617 of 1,656
I bought a pair of these from Amazon from a seller called MusicTeck who claims to be an authorised dealer in the US however after receiving the product I suspect that it's counterfeit. Upon receiving the product, I immediately noticed the packaging was different from what I've seen. The font looks a little blurry and came in a white box instead of the black box I've been seeing users post online. The cable was also grey instead of black and the headphone jack also doesn't look authentic. The cables seem too light as well. As for the sound quality, the sound is poor and does not seem like a USD400 dollar product. Bass is weak and overall no brightness or spark in the sound. Soundstage is almost non-existent. Last but not least, there is no warranty card in the box and when I asked the seller they said it doesn't come with a warranty card. I wish I could post photos to share but I'm new to this forum and can't start a new thread. Has anyone dealt with MusicTeck in the US or share any experiences regarding fake Earsonics products?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back