Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
May 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,156 of 1,656
I cannot comment on cables, but I think the general consensus is that the SM64 is a rather full sounding IEM as it is. Are you listening on mid or high gain through the DX50?

mid gain. Sorry i think i confused everyone. I don't mean to make it more full. I find it a little laid-back so i want to make it slightly livier. 

May 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,157 of 1,656
mid gain. Sorry i think i confused everyone. I don't mean to make it more full. I find it a little laid-back so i want to make it slightly livier. 

you have a few options, but in general if you're not satisfied with the sound as it is you may need to look for a new IEM. Silver or silver plated cables sometimes bring out the upper frequencies which maybe what you're after. You can also try different tips like the Weststone stars or phonak silicones.

May 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,158 of 1,656
you have a few options, but in general if you're not satisfied with the sound as it is you may need to look for a new IEM. Silver or silver plated cables sometimes bring out the upper frequencies which maybe what you're after. You can also try different tips like the Weststone stars or phonak silicones.

Jup, try some different tips first and maybe save lots of money through that
wink_face.gif

May 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,159 of 1,656
  any aftermarket cables that improve on the SM64? I'm looking for something to make them sound even more full. Using DX50 as source.

I find they sound very full already. They aren't as thick as the SM3s, but they're still fairly thick sounding.

Play around with the different tips. Tbh, I don't think the cables will change much (and they're super expensive to boot).

If they sound less full/lively as in they kind of sound ... I dunno, deflated and muffly, consider taking out the filters in the spouts. I hated my SM64s and thought they sounded like crap when I first got them ... and then I took the dive because I was so upset and just pulled out the filters (like I did on my SM3s) and then it sounded like an actual high class IEM (was like a 100% difference).

But for IEMs, it's mainly an issue of tips... Try different materials too. Some tips are gooey, some of them have a hard, plastic core. I usually like the ones with the hard plastic cores better, but you might like gooey tips more (like double/triple flanges, etc.).

May 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,160 of 1,656
I find they sound very full already. They aren't as thick as the SM3s, but they're still fairly thick sounding.

Play around with the different tips. Tbh, I don't think the cables will change much (and they're super expensive to boot).

If they sound less full/lively as in they kind of sound ... I dunno, deflated and muffly, consider taking out the filters in the spouts. I hated my SM64s and thought they sounded like crap when I first got them ... and then I took the dive because I was so upset and just pulled out the filters (like I did on my SM3s) and then it sounded like an actual high class IEM (was like a 100% difference).

But for IEMs, it's mainly an issue of tips... Try different materials too. Some tips are gooey, some of them have a hard, plastic core. I usually like the ones with the hard plastic cores better, but you might like gooey tips more (like double/triple flanges, etc.).

If I take the filters out and don't like it, are they easy to reinstall?

May 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,161 of 1,656
If its like SM3, very easy. Just buy an etymotic filter removal tool. Make sure you just screw it enough to catch the threads though; if you screw it all the way it punctures the filter.
If I take the filters out and don't like it, are they easy to reinstall?

May 19, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,162 of 1,656
Hi guys, I'm wondering which has better synergy with the SM64, AK100 or dx50?

AK100 Mk II, the one with lower output impedance.

any aftermarket cables that improve on the SM64? I'm looking for something to make them sound even more full. Using DX50 as source.

Try the Silver Dragon SD1.

May 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,163 of 1,656
I did the filter removal, tiny things, hard to handle (especially if you have 9.5 thumbs), lost one, pulled out the metal piece surrounding the filter. I do like the sound since removing it though, richer, more involving, think it worked out OK...:)

May 21, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,165 of 1,656
I did the filter removal, tiny things, hard to handle (especially if you have 9.5 thumbs), lost one, pulled out the metal piece surrounding the filter. I do like the sound since removing it though, richer, more involving, think it worked out OK...
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting.
I was thinking about getting one of these sets and try the whole filter thing for myself.
http://www.mp4audio.de/index.php/cerumen-filter-h3.html

May 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,166 of 1,656
Looks interesting. Do you know if these are the correct diameter for the SM64. It looks like ALO also sells this product and their website said they were for the Stagedriver IEMs. Does anyone know if the SD2/SD3 nozzles have the same ID as the SM64?

May 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,167 of 1,656
Looks interesting. Do you know if these are the correct diameter for the SM64. It looks like ALO also sells this product and their website said they were for the Stagedriver IEMs. Does anyone know if the SD2/SD3 nozzles have the same ID as the SM64?

Oh I totally did not see that.
Hmmmm that's rather unfortunate since the SD3 look like they have nozzles similar to the TF10 and such.

May 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,168 of 1,656
Unintentionally, I may have implied something I don't really know. I just searched the net for "Cerumen filter H4" and noticed the ALO having these for the Stagedrivers in the search results.

The Cerumen filter H4 may be available in various diameters for all I know.

May 22, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,169 of 1,656
I did the filter removal, tiny things, hard to handle (especially if you have 9.5 thumbs), lost one, pulled out the metal piece surrounding the filter. I do like the sound since removing it though, richer, more involving, think it worked out OK...
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed. Got my Ety filter tool today. First one I removed fell onto the carpet... it's a goner. 

Luckily the upgrade in SQ was worth it. They should make these without those filters. The treble sparkle they don't have naturally is there now!

May 23, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #1,170 of 1,656
Agreed. Got my Ety filter tool today. First one I removed fell onto the carpet... it's a goner. 

Luckily the upgrade in SQ was worth it. They should make these without those filters. The treble sparkle they don't have naturally is there now!

So are you running filterless, or have you installed filters of a different value?

Also, what is your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back