Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #288 of 1,656
Just received my V2 today. Been playing for 1 hour now. I definitely like V2 more than V1. 

What i like most about the changing is the highs. Now is smoother. Less sparkling compared to V1. Not by much..but noticeable in the upper highs. This is exactly what I've been waiting for.

The mids is not much different as well. But now is thicker and a bit more forward (from cream soda to cappucino 
size]
). It is not as creamy as SM3V2, though i prefer the mids in SM64V2, is more neutral and exciting to listen to. human voice is now better to my ears. Very good for jazz and vocal.

The bass is not as deep as V2. The quantity and quality is about the same. I feel like V1 can go deeper. Though, i feel like V2's bass is tighter and maybe just a bit faster too. I am good with that.

They do still share the same sound signature. Same tonal base. Different is just slightly. For me, overall sound V2 is just a  bit smoother, and thicker sounding which i like. For sound staging and imaging..they just about the same. Nothing to be worried of.

Back to music 
size]

--- Pico Power + SM64V2 is a very good match btw 
size]

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #289 of 1,656
Quote:
Just received my V2 today. Been playing for 1 hour now. I definitely like V2 more than V1. 

What i like most about the changing is the highs. Now is smoother. Less sparkling compared to V1. Not by much..but noticeable in the upper highs. This is exactly what I've been waiting for.

The mids is not much different as well. But now is thicker and a bit more forward (from cream soda to cappucino 
size]
). It is not as creamy as SM3V2, though i prefer the mids in SM64V2, is more neutral and exciting to listen to. human voice is now better to my ears. Very good for jazz and vocal.

The bass is not as deep as V2. The quantity and quality is about the same. I feel like V1 can go deeper. Though, i feel like V2's bass is tighter and maybe just a bit faster too. I am good with that.

They do still share the same sound signature. Same tonal base. Different is just slightly. For me, overall sound V2 is just a  bit smoother, and thicker sounding which i like. For sound staging and imaging..they just about the same. Nothing to be worried of.

Back to music 
size]

--- Pico Power + SM64V2 is a very good match btw

That is just what I thought when I received my V2 :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #290 of 1,656
Quote:
That's great. do you have v1 or v2?

Must be V2. Honestly, as much as I loved the SM3, the SM64 just blows it away. It's the sparkle, lack of hiss, but sustained sound pressure that seems stable on every source I throw at it that is killer.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #291 of 1,656
I agree shigzeo, I'm of the same opinion. I would describe these as more of a headphone experience. Everything tight and complete, still smooth but not as thick in the mids. Better extension on both ends. The SM3 is still great, these are that much better. Enough IMO to justify the price difference. That's saying a lot considering how cheap I am 
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #292 of 1,656
just tested some of my amps...to find what best to go with my sm64v2...and finally i find this combo (Ipod + Apex Glacier + Fostex HPP1 as DAC) to be my best pick for now. Apex Glacier is VERY good at picking up details in sound. So clear, neutral and transparent. Very good bass foundation at lower end. It has a very tight solid bass with good impact. It makes my sm64v2 having so much dynamics energy during the play. NICE !!! 
size]

Here's the picture:

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #293 of 1,656
What I love about the SM64 is that it really doesn't need an amp unless you really really listen loud. I go straight from an iPod shuffle or iPod nano no problems. Even the HiSound AMP3 might be able to properly run these earphones. Maybe. It's set for any wireless transmitter/mic combo on the stage and more than enough for any portable player.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #294 of 1,656
Hi Zhig,
For this V2 yes...i agree with you. Amplification is not that necessary to make it sound good, is good and loud already using just an ipod, though i do think using amps is sounded better. But with V1 is different. I do not like the sound of V1 plugged directly from ipod/samsung s3. I feel like the sound is loosing weight. And more sparkling presentation, makes the mids even sounded thinner. With amplification, sm64v1 sounded much better, though a bit still  too sharp for my taste. But yes...if i yet had any amps with me, i may not need one to go and enjoy with my sm64V2 
size]

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #295 of 1,656
I hope the e17-like built-in amp in the Fiio X3 will do a good job with the SM64.
Some e17 + SM64 v2 impressions would be sweet!

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #296 of 1,656
Technically speaking, the SM64 shouldn't need an amp. If something 'sounds' better via the SM64 and an amp via an iPod for example, either it is just the amp's sound you like, or, in the case of a truly neutral amp, volume hasn't been matched.

The gotcha to my reply is this: I've not yet tested extreme dynamic range found in classical music. If after testing I discover digital sizzle in any spot, there may be argument for an amp.

However, the SM64 was made in such a way that at normal listening levels, an amp simply isn't necessary. On the stage, at dangerous monitoring levels, it may be different.

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #297 of 1,656
Quote:
Technically speaking, the SM64 shouldn't need an amp. If something 'sounds' better via the SM64 and an amp via an iPod for example, either it is just the amp's sound you like, or, in the case of a truly neutral amp, volume hasn't been matched.

The gotcha to my reply is this: I've not yet tested extreme dynamic range found in classical music. If after testing I discover digital sizzle in any spot, there may be argument for an amp.

However, the SM64 was made in such a way that at normal listening levels, an amp simply isn't necessary. On the stage, at dangerous monitoring levels, it may be different.

OK, I gotta ask.  What's "digital sizzle"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back