Earsonics EM 10
Aug 7, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #241 of 363
2k $$$ for iem cable though.... For meThat’s a crazy price to make a slight difference in sound signature. I’ll leave that for a rich folks to play around :)

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #242 of 363
2k $$$ for iem cable though.... For meThat’s a crazy price to make a slight difference in sound signature. I’ll leave that for a rich folks to play around :)
Ever since then I have settled on Red Core which is considered a baby 1960, this is currently the best cable for me beside Aegis. Aegis will make the sound more organic, smoother but not adding the top end extension and resolution

This is as you said, I would never spend that much on a cable especially 1960 even though the improvement is real; However, It's actually worth it compared to many more expensive cables I have tried.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #243 of 363
I tried pw10 at canjam however, 1960 4 wires blew it out of the ocean.
That is a good thing for PW Audio considering it is almost 10X the price. I prefer the 2-wire. That said, for someone who does not want to spend as much or more on their cable than they do the IEM the No.10 has been a great all-rounder, and pairs so well with so many other iems.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #244 of 363
Ever since then I have settled on Red Core which is considered a baby 1960, this is currently the best cable for me beside Aegis. Aegis will make the sound more organic, smoother but not adding the top end extension and resolution

This is as you said, I would never spend that much on a cable especially 1960 even though the improvement is real; However, It's actually worth it compared to many more expensive cables I have tried.

Still I can hardly justify that for a regular person like me. I felt sound improvement on EM10 with added external dac/amp, but nothing when compared 20$ and 200$ cables. Even with amping I was failing to guess which is wired and which is "lower" quality bluetooth amp. Personally it seems that all EM10 needs is a bit of power.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #245 of 363
Still I can hardly justify that for a regular person like me. I felt sound improvement on EM10 with added external dac/amp, but nothing when compared 20$ and 200$ cables. Even with amping I was failing to guess which is wired and which is "lower" quality bluetooth amp. Personally it seems that all EM10 needs is a bit of power.
Ofc, the extra money should be prioritized on amp/dac first and only on cables when you have finally settled. Also the cable only benefits when you have a resolving capable system to recognize all the changes. It's actually ridiculous for me to see people with lower tier, mid-fi amp/dac/dap with expensive cables.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #246 of 363
Yes PW No10 is great with both EM10 and EM64, the choice between the two IEMs depends what you're looking for the EM64 is punchier and energetic, blazing fast (those transients....) and more forward than the EM10 (actually more forward than anything else I know). The EM64 is tuned for the stage you're with the band, the EM10 is a more refined beast that lets you sit back and relax enjoying the nuances while keeping a high level of engagement. The EM10 is groovy but it won't grab you by the b%lls like the EM64 :p The EM64 will jack you up good :)
Thank you for your answer, even so at the time of purchase the choice is difficult, even if the Em10 is more expensive 800 €
In general do you think it is worth the difference between one and the other? through value?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #247 of 363
Ofc, the extra money should be prioritized on amp/dac first and only on cables when you have finally settled. Also the cable only benefits when you have a resolving capable system to recognize all the changes. It's actually ridiculous for me to see people with lower tier, mid-fi amp/dac/dap with expensive cables.

I get you, but if only small nuances were brought to the table with better cables, i’m skipping it, don’t really care what Peter says in a review. If i can’t or “can” barely hear it, I won’t justify such purchase just to make myself feel better. Maybe it’s a different story for audio purists with trained ears, but I believe thats such a minority even within hi-fi community and regards portable gear nothing wow’ed me anymore once I’ve reached mid tier 3-4 years ago and it’s more like what goes better with your personal preference

Aug 9, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #248 of 363
Thank you for your answer, even so at the time of purchase the choice is difficult, even if the Em10 is more expensive 800 €. In general do you think it is worth the difference between one and the other? through value?

Not easy to answer, but I wouldn't place the EM64 and EM10 in different performance bracket, the EM64 is just as good it's just a very different tuning. Keep in mind the EM64 is less expensive mainly because Earsonics sells much more of them than the EM10, they're a pro brand first. The EM64 value for money is greater and just amazing, but its forward tuning won't be for everyone.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #249 of 363
Not easy to answer, but I wouldn't place the EM64 and EM10 in different performance bracket, the EM64 is just as good it's just a very different tuning. Keep in mind the EM64 is less expensive mainly because Earsonics sells much more of them than the EM10, they're a pro brand first. The EM64 value for money is greater and just amazing, but its forward tuning won't be for everyone.
Well, the EM64 is a lot cheaper, so I ask, but for some reason it must be, I believe that the EM10 is at a higher level, I love my Velvet V2 for its value it has a fantastic sound, but even so I wanted to evolve in all the aspects and I find both the EM64 and EM10 perfectly capable of that, in view of their analysis, but perhaps the EM10 will move to another league above in general, do you think I am right? You who have both hehehe

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #250 of 363
Well, the EM64 is a lot cheaper, so I ask, but for some reason it must be, I believe that the EM10 is at a higher level, I love my Velvet V2 for its value it has a fantastic sound, but even so I wanted to evolve in all the aspects and I find both the EM64 and EM10 perfectly capable of that, in view of their analysis, but perhaps the EM10 will move to another league above in general, do you think I am right? You who have both hehehe

Read my previous post again :wink:
EM64 and EM10 are in the same league performance wise, I have explained why price is more interesting for the EM64. Tuning on the other hand is quite different...

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #251 of 363
Target market is a first level of price's range difference, but the em10 is at the end a more capable performer on almost "every" technical aspect. "Every" because as @davidmolliere stated it's a matter of taste, the em64 is full and front with quick transients while the em10 is wider, more articulate and resolving. Moreover, the em64 is more on the neutral side while the em10 has a more mature tuning; treble extension, high mids harmonics, raw mid bass/bass power capabilities are the key points to me.
That said, the em64 is more easy to listen to, especially at low level and also with poor quality tracks. They are great with smartphones or Sony's daps, although it scales really well with powerful daps. The em10 works really better with a powerful dap.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #252 of 363
Target market is a first level of price's range difference, but the em10 is at the end a more capable performer on almost "every" technical aspect. "Every" because as @davidmolliere stated it's a matter of taste, the em64 is full and front with quick transients while the em10 is wider, more articulate and resolving. Moreover, the em64 is more on the neutral side while the em10 has a more mature tuning; treble extension, high mids harmonics, raw mid bass/bass power capabilities are the key points to me.
That said, the em64 is more easy to listen to, especially at low level and also with poor quality tracks. They are great with smartphones or Sony's daps, although it scales really well with powerful daps. The em10 works really better with a powerful dap.

EM10 sounded shallow/compressed using iphone7, though my phone has aged over the years and it can be that newer ones are sufficient for EM10. I don’t listen on loud volume and it can go quite loud using even old iphone, but with added dac/amp EM10 is just a different for me

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #253 of 363
EM10 sounded shallow/compressed using iphone7, though my phone has aged over the years and it can be that newer ones are sufficient for EM10. I don’t listen on loud volume and it can go quite loud using even old iphone, but with added dac/amp EM10 is just a different for me
I think that both EM10 and EM64, to be able to really take advantage of them you need a Dap / Amp. When I used my Velvet v2 on smartphones they were good, but when I bought a Dap, the story changed completely.

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #254 of 363
I think that both EM10 and EM64, to be able to really take advantage of them you need a Dap / Amp. When I used my Velvet v2 on smartphones they were good, but when I bought a Dap, the story changed completely.

I see little point of spending that much in IEMs without proper source really... and wait till you've heard those on a desktop amp as well it will blow your mind, especially the EM10... it scales insanely well I had the opportunity to listen with the iFi Audio Pro iCAN and let me tell you it's yet another ball game...

IEMs will trick you into thinking a lesser source can do the job because it can drive them loud enough thanks to their high sensitivity and low impedance, but the thing is the very low impedance on most IEMs (not the EM10, granted...) means they need quality current as well and it's one of the so very often missing spec how much current a source delivers. Loud enough doesn't mean well driven. Dynamic range, bass authority, treble energy and soundstage are just totally another league with a more powerful DAP and even better with a good desktop source. Forget smartphones...

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #255 of 363
I see little point of spending that much in IEMs without proper source really... and wait till you've heard those on a desktop amp as well it will blow your mind, especially the EM10... it scales insanely well I had the opportunity to listen with the iFi Audio Pro iCAN and let me tell you it's yet another ball game...

IEMs will trick you into thinking a lesser source can do the job because it can drive them loud enough thanks to their high sensitivity and low impedance, but the thing is the very low impedance on most IEMs (not the EM10, granted...) means they need quality current as well and it's one of the so very often missing spec how much current a source delivers. Loud enough doesn't mean well driven. Dynamic range, bass authority, treble energy and soundstage are just totally another league with a more powerful DAP and even better with a good desktop source. Forget smartphones...
I am 100% in agreement David, at this moment I only have my Ibasso Dx160 and I think it is already really good, maybe in the future I will acquire another one and then I think about it, now I think it does an excellent job even with the EM10 and join the Pw no.10 8 wires at 4.4 input, I believe I will still discover more than what the Dx160 is capable of delivering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back