Ears. The most important piece in our rigs.
Apr 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

DarkSleip

100+ Head-Fier
This is a thread supposed to bring a little conscience as to what audio lovers should not do in order to maintain their actual hearing capabilities. I am thinking about the people who use open-backs outside their homes, and, how loud would they have to play their phones to be able to enjoy their music?

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 35
You can enjoy open headphones in the outdoors and in transit without turning it way up - you just have to be willing to deal with some outside noise too. I actually prefer this in most instances, as I like to be at least moderately aware of my surroundings. I really only have trouble on the subway, and there, I just deal with the fact that I'm not going to hear my music from time to time. Honestly, our trains are noisy enough even my HD25-1 ii and Etymotic in-ears only did moderately better. 

In-ear and earbuds offer quite a lot of danger from that perspective as well... it is quite easy to do damage.

Always moderate your volume, damage can occur without pain - especially over long periods of time.

Maybe this would be a good place to have guides or resources on proper ear cleaning and other care, as well? 

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 35
Yes, just what i was thinking, there's also an issue with many people who listen at ridiculous sound-pressure levels. Using IEM's with a common source, say an iPod, should not exceed three squares in my opinion, as they'll probably have an impedance close to 16. And the only situation at which it's sane to use the full power is when you have at least 100 Ohm phones'. I use that example because there's many differences when gain matching and it's not like everybody would bother to implement it. ( What was the method to do so?, was it just a measurement device?)

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 35
So, for ears, what's a better solution, silver-plating or cryo?

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 35
I'm always skeptical of people looking for an amp just for the heck of it, or those that say they max out their volumes with low power earphones and are looking for an amp.
It can do more damage than good with all the extra power. Normally, 10dB causes a doubling of perceived loudness, but this increases if you keep listening to high volumes.
Commercial aspects aside, this being an audio forum, I'm surprised there's very little effort to guide people regarding the dos and donts, especially those new to this field.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 35
many say that they like "the extra juice", and I can't help but to feel confused at their meaning, because it most probably means higher volumes, we really should rise awareness

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 35
I think its the feeling that they are not getting the most out of their equipment.
Mostly because 
a) They find someone using superlatives to explain their listening experience with the same headphone when paired with some BazingaMagicDACAmp. Its magic for others, maybe I'm missing something?
b) They feel everything is rated/performs lower than it actually can. I want to push it harder so that it can do better than all the other ones out there. Maybe the manufacturer was hiding something?
c) They have already damaged their hearing to a certain level. No can do anything.
d) Too much money to spend so don't care.

'a' works like marketing.
 'b' is the promise a lot of companies out there are built upon. It can work in some cases, but you really, really need to know what you are doing and accept the responsibilities. 
'c' and 'd' are besides the point, and there are companies built upon those as well :p

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 35
I got around the subways for a month with the O2/E1, TF10s paired with my Iphone because of a better sound(impedance issues). Anyway I'm sure many of our members here take good care of their hearing(which is why I got the TF10s). Most here use open backs at home, not out. As for using other portable amps with high power, I do believe its more for travelling(hotel to hotel) than actual portable use.

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 35

2 questions I´ve wanted to ask since I started using headphones:

How can one tell if the listening volume is low enough to not cause any damage in long listening sessions? is there a volume than can cause long term damage but no immediate pain or discomfort?

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 35

Quote:

2 questions I´ve wanted to ask since I started using headphones:

How can one tell if the listening volume is low enough to not cause any damage in long listening sessions? is there a volume than can cause long term damage but no immediate pain or discomfort?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure#Examples_of_sound_pressure_and_sound_pressure_levels
Maybe this can help. Hearing damage over long term usage is 85 dB. Most headphones/earphones max out way beyond that (~120 dB).
Check this with the Peak SPL of your headphones. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 35

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure#Examples_of_sound_pressure_and_sound_pressure_levels
Maybe this can help. Hearing damage over long term usage is 85 dB. Most headphones/earphones max out way beyond that (~120 dB).
Check this with the Peak SPL of your headphones. 

And that specs are for an average ear, many people are more sensible and can suffer worse damage, ear damage may produce high frequency roll-off and in bad cases permanent tinnitus

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 35
HF roll-off is part of aging too, so don't be freaked out when you're 40 and 20k no longer exists for you. It's natural. If you're 12 and this is the scenario, and there's no good medical reason for it, maybe turn stuff down. 

Generally speaking, you shouldn't listen to anything at a level that causes you headaches, ringing, or any sort of pressure/discomfort. 85 dB is pretty loud just for reference (and sustained exposure does lead to fatigue) - 50-70 dB is probably where you're going to be comfortable for long-term sessions. 

The argument about "blocking" (literature usually rips on earbuds not open-backs, but same principle) is very valid, and it's considered to be one of the leading causes of NIHL. I'd equate it to self-harm along the same lines as drinking oneself to death; you're actively choosing to do something that has serious and long-term consequences. I absolutely cringe when I see a young kid on a train with earbuds or even worse, closed-back ANC headphones, cranked up so loud that you can hear them at the other end of the car. 

The other issue is cranking stuff up to hear one part of the spectrum because whatever you're listening through is rubbish. For example, if you have iBuds and want a lot of bass, you have to crank them up absurdly loud to get any meaningful response on the low-end. That's a problem. Instead, get something that can reach down low with a higher impulse response than the midrange (we perceive low and high notes less intensely). 

As far as the amp for "extra power" - there's a perpetual belief that somehow having a mountain of power "in reserve" will improve sound quality. In other words, if I need 1 mW (which is a whole lot for most headphones), having an amplifier that can provide 5 mW is not sufficient, but having one that can provide 5000 mW is going to make some superlative difference. I'm still only using 1mW though. I also agree with the other four reasons provided.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 35
For non audiophiles who use the apple earbuds, the biggest problem is poor isolation. In order to hear more of the music, and less of the outside noise they pump volumes to ridiculous levels. On my commute to work I've heard people's earbuds blasting music from metres away. I wonder what torture those ears are going through.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 35

From what I've read (thankfully not experienced), it's a gradual but progressive loss of broad-band hearing. In other words, the buds don't seem as loud (nothing does) until eventually you get into serious hearing loss territory (where you have trouble talking to people and such). If memory serves, top-end and bottom-end loss doesn't screw with your ability to orient yourself or carry-on in daily life, but once you destroy that mid-band you've got problems. 
Quote:
For non audiophiles who use the apple earbuds, the biggest problem is poor isolation. In order to hear more of the music, and less of the outside noise they pump volumes to ridiculous levels. On my commute to work I've heard people's earbuds blasting music from metres away. I wonder what torture those ears are going through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back