EarPods..! - Its what apple calls its next gen Earbuds.. Fancy anyone?
Sep 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #166 of 312
Quote:
Reviewers from sources that are not Apple enthusiastic tend to give them pretty bad reviews, albeit touting them as an improvement. I don't expect a lot since they are simply Apple stock earbuds, but I'll reserve judgement unti I have the chace to listen to them. Still...the fact that it took them 3 years to find that form factor which has been around in philips sports earbuds for ages makes me wonder how competent that company is (and shows how little they invest in R&D). At least they are not $40 as the first pairs with in-line remotes. 

Ya, the Bose IE have also had this form fit.  And I personally have owned every walkman model ever made.  That said, I usually listen to those plugged into a car stereo or my home stereo.  When I put headphones on of any type, it's my Sony Walkman.  So, I tested these apple earpods on my Walkman s7 series walkman, not an ipod.  Although I plugged them into my touch to see how they sounded.  They aren't bad, but I just prefer the sound of my Sony better.  They did sound better in my 3 gen nano with eq set to rock.  But personally I think that's among the top three ipod in terms of sound.  So, I would say in terms of headphone enjoyment, I am not an Apple enthusiast at all. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #167 of 312
Quote:
as good as the X10, the flagship of klipsch
eek.gif

I love my X10s. Bought them 4-5 years ago. Have used them a lot since then. To be fair it's difficult to compare two headphones. I only listened to the Earpods for 30 minutes. Running through all my usual go-to tracks for testing speakers/headphones. My impression based on that was that there wasn't that must difference in quality. The earpods are large compared to the tiny X10s, that size and weight difference might allow them to do some stuff to catch up. 

I will be happy to have both. They are both great on the go. The X10s give me isolation for when I need that (which is often), the Earpods give me the comfortability of not being in-ears while still having good sound, and for sitting in front of the computer at home, I have the HD595s.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #169 of 312
Sep 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #170 of 312
review: good for a pair of 30 dollar earbuds, but don't listen to all the fancy-word nonsense marketing apple does. They are worth their price, but... I'd rather have my own earbuds, they don't really compete with the more expensive stuff like apple claims. They are just good for their price imo.

I'm sure after a while people will become bored of them and move on to their old gear. 
etysmile.gif

also "EarPods are designed to direct sound into the ear."

LOL. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #171 of 312
Quote:
Reviewers from sources that are not Apple enthusiastic tend to give them pretty bad reviews, albeit touting them as an improvement. I don't expect a lot since they are simply Apple stock earbuds, but I'll reserve judgement unti I have the chace to listen to them. Still...the fact that it took them 3 years to find that form factor which has been around in philips sports earbuds for ages makes me wonder how competent that company is (and shows how little they invest in R&D). At least they are not $40 as the first pairs with in-line remotes. 

No source should be "enthusiastic" about the product being reviewed.

That just creates bias. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #172 of 312
No source should be "enthusiastic" about the product being reviewed.

That just creates bias. 

Oh if only that were true...

Especially of the members here giving purchase advice.

Myself included!!!

Jim

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #174 of 312
Personally I have no loyalties to any company. I could honestly care less.
If a product is good then it is. If it sucks then it sucks.

Enthusiasm, and not loyalty was the message I was trying to convey.

Jim

PS You do mak a good point though, and I agree... If it sucks, it sucks.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #175 of 312
Quote:
Enthusiasm, and not loyalty was the message I was trying to convey.
Jim
PS You do mak a good point though, and I agree... If it sucks, it sucks.

For $30 it doesn't suck.

In fact, I'd say it competes well with most of the crap ones up to about $100... Koss PortaPro, CAL, plus such and such nonwithstanding as those don't represent the market segment at that price point.

I'm sure as hell that whoever listens to these and only listen to these (new iPod owners) will love them, and they will only move on to $100+ good value headphones the likes of M50 or Q40...

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #176 of 312
Agreed...

The best/sleeper part of this is that Apple will put MILLIONS of these in households all over the world.

Win Win, Apple has done it again.

Jim
Quote:

For $30 it doesn't suck.

In fact, I'd say it competes well with most of the crap ones up to about $100... Koss PortaPro, CAL, plus such and such nonwithstanding as those don't represent the market segment at that price point.

I'm sure as hell that whoever listens to these and only listen to these (new iPod owners) will love them, and they will only move on to $100+ good value headphones the likes of M50 or Q40...

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #177 of 312
I'm sure as hell that whoever listens to these and only listen to these (new iPod owners) will love them, and they will only move on to $100+ headphones the likes of Beats Solos/Studios only to find that their OEM phones sound better.

Fixed. :D
Maybe some people will start to wonder why Beats headphones suck so much.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #179 of 312
Quote:
Fixed.
biggrin.gif

Maybe some people will start to wonder why Beats headphones suck so much.

Well, in my opinion, even the former apple earbuds sound better than Beats headphones. A lot of people buy Beats to look cool, whatever cool is.

I'd like to try the earpods, but I don't want to pay $30 for an earphone bundled to a product I don't have... or want.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #180 of 312
I've had a set for 24 hours now.  First impressions - not bad.  Can't decide if I want to run them with Treble Reducer EQ out of iP4, but it seems to be settling down after 12 hours.  That or they've successfully fried my hearing in just one day.

Bass performance is the best I've heard from an earbud.  I've got Skullcandy Titans in my bag too, so... these are not those.  Bass is controlled and balanced.

Mids are dry but clear.

Treble is... yuk.  So much of it, sibilant, and... but it seems to be smoothing  out as I'm listening. 

All told, a good buy for $29 with remote and mic functions.  Well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back