EarPods..! - Its what apple calls its next gen Earbuds.. Fancy anyone?
Sep 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #16 of 312
Holy overpriced earbuds, batman, $29.99 for earbuds? Nice try, Apple

Edit: and the old earbuds were the same price? Yeesh

I'd be curious what like priced and like featured earbuds you would suggest over these.

Jim

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #17 of 312
Already posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/627101/earpods-apples-newest-entry-into-iem

Anyway, I'm not entirely optimistic about the EarPods' acoustic potential. The half-in-ear earbud concept has been tried before with Sony's MDR-ED238 as well as more recently with the FAD Piano Forte I/II, among others. Neither of those were really that great. Still, if Apple can pull it off, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 312
Quote:
I'd be curious what like priced and like featured earbuds you would suggest over these.
Jim

Oh, lord, I don't know if anyone actually makes earbuds that cost over $10. JVC Gummis? $10. The only one I can really think of at $30 or higher is the Sennheiser PMX680's sports earbuds stuff. But anything over $10 means you can get way better IEMs. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 312
Quote:
Already posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/627101/earpods-apples-newest-entry-into-iem
Anyway, I'm not entirely optimistic about the EarPods' acoustic potential. The half-in-ear earbud concept has been tried before with Sony's MDR-ED12 as well as more recently with the FAD Piano Forte I/II, among others. Neither of those were really that great. Still, if Apple can pull it off, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure that they will pull it off in a big way thanks to their fanboys.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #20 of 312
Quote:
Oh, lord, I don't know if anyone actually makes earbuds that cost over $10

yuin stopped making earbuds ?? what about sennheiser's omx980, technically still earbuds albeit attached to a frame ??

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #21 of 312
Quote:
Anyway, I'm not entirely optimistic about the EarPods' acoustic potential. The half-in-ear earbud concept has been tried before with Sony's MDR-ED238 as well as more recently with the FAD Piano Forte I/II, among others. Neither of those were really that great. Still, if Apple can pull it off, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

I think the sony earbuds which have that half in-ear style happen to be the best earbuds I've heard, certainly in the budget range (the most recent being the ed12s, which have superb mid and high end though lack in bass a bit compared to previous models). Regardless, even if these apple earbuds sound at least as good as those, the price is steep, and considering every apple earbud I've ever heard has been dreadful, I'm not getting hopes up. Would like to hear impressions though if anyone does pick them up.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #22 of 312
i think if they are as good as they say they are then it's not a bad price at all 

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #24 of 312
apple quote from website

Quote:
Using optical scans combined with silicone moulding, Apple designers created 3D models of various ear types to find a common shape across many different people. That shape led to the unique look of the new Apple EarPods. Unlike traditional circular earbuds, their design is defined by the geometry of the ear. Which makes them more comfortable for more people than any other earbud-style headphones… Apple acousticians re-engineered an earbud speaker diaphragm with both rigid and flexible materials to minimize sound loss and maximize sound output. Adding to the superior audio quality are strategically placed acoustic vents. The most notable of these vents is the one located in the stem of each EarPod. It allows air inside the stem, which acts as an acoustic chamber, to flow out. So you hear deeper, richer bass tones. The overall audio quality of Apple EarPods is so impressive, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more.

Last sentence made me laugh...

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #26 of 312
Well, who is going to take one for the team?

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #27 of 312
Personally I thought the ibuds that came with my iphone 4S sounded pretty good. I don't really understand what all the complaints are about. People seem to be making them out to be the worst headphones ever made. Imo, they are by far the best pair of headphones that I have got that came stock with an audio device I purchased. I know that's not saying a lot but I still think they are pretty solid. I own the MTPG, Denon AH-D 1001, Klipsch S4, so I tend to buy more bass heavy headphones (with the exception of the MTPG which I think is fairly accurate), so maybe the sound signature I prefer is a little different than other people. But I do think the ibuds (the ones that came with the 4S at least) are worth $30. I use them at the gym and other places and they suit me fine. Obviously they will not sound as good as the Denon's or MTPG, but for the price I think they are fair enough.

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #28 of 312
Oh, lord, I don't know if anyone actually makes earbuds that cost over $10. JVC Gummis? $10. The only one I can really think of at $30 or higher is the Sennheiser PMX680's sports earbuds stuff. But anything over $10 means you can get way better IEMs. 

That's what I thought... You haven't a clue.

Thanks for your educated answer.

Jim

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #29 of 312

Senn still do the 980 and 880 and others.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #30 of 312
Quote:
That's what I thought... You haven't a clue.
Thanks for your educated answer.
Jim

No, yeah, I admit that I don't have much familiarity with the earbud market. And it seems that a few people have suggested a few others already that other companies have done. What I do know is that Apple is charging a premium for a replacement set of earbuds that come free with any of their devices, including the $50 iPod Shuffle. That or the Shuffle is only $20 and the headphones actually cost more than the shuffle itself.

But hey, the iPhone 4 is free with 2 year contract, and my friend's thinking of getting an iPhone 5, so maybe I'll get my chance at giving them a shot soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back