Earplugs to lower db that still sound good?
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

echoleaf

New Head-Fier
I’m on the lookout for a pair of earplugs that attenuate overall volume without coloring music too much - ideally something I can wear in non-concert environments & still engage in discussions. The older I get, the less I can tolerate loud environments; I have NO idea how I spent my 20s in crowded bars & clubs.

But I loathe the idea of music sounding like crap. I have a pair I got a few years back before going to my first punk show in years, which was pretty good but it still feels like I’m disconnected from the music. It’s better than getting hearing damage but they attenuate the mids & highs too much. I saw Journey in a small stadium last year that was LOUD (even friggin Toto was too loud) and the sound was a bit muffled.

My gut says I’m looking for something that doesn’t exist but if any forum has people who can help, it’s here 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 10
I’m on the lookout for a pair of earplugs that attenuate overall volume without coloring music too much - ideally something I can wear in non-concert environments & still engage in discussions. The older I get, the less I can tolerate loud environments; I have NO idea how I spent my 20s in crowded bars & clubs.

But I loathe the idea of music sounding like crap. I have a pair I got a few years back before going to my first punk show in years, which was pretty good but it still feels like I’m disconnected from the music. It’s better than getting hearing damage but they attenuate the mids & highs too much. I saw Journey in a small stadium last year that was LOUD (even friggin Toto was too loud) and the sound was a bit muffled.

My gut says I’m looking for something that doesn’t exist but if any forum has people who can help, it’s here 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

I'd look into hearing protection designed for mitigating shooting noise.

I haven't tried these myself, but have a friend who is very happy with them. I doubt there is no impact on music due to the general nature of hearing protection, but will allow you to hear music and voices.
https://www.amazon.com/GLORYFIRE-Sh...s&qid=1708705617&sprefix=,aps,128&sr=8-6&th=1

Something more basic that I use on occasion at concerts - they are relatively transparent:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks. I probably should have mentioned wanting something on the cheaper side, otherwise something like Minuendos would have made sense. The pair I have are similar to the Etymotics but likely not as good with regard to the sound - I just don't love the triple flange action.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Feb 24, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks. I probably should have mentioned wanting something on the cheaper side, otherwise something like Minuendos would have made sense. The pair I have are similar to the Etymotics but likely not as good with regard to the sound - I just don't love the triple flange action.

You can actually get the Etymotics with the dual flange now, which many folks find more comfortable.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 10
I might have to suck it up with the flanges because from reviews and audio tests, the Eargasms & Etymotics are best for music. The Eargasms seem to be noted for avoiding occlusion, which would be effin brilliant - the pair I have now (Hearos, possibly) are occluded to high heaven. It would be so cool to hear music like I had control over the volume.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 10
I agree with you, the worst earplugs for music ruin the bass. I found his vid to be pretty helpful but I'm skeptical of how accurate it could possibly be (the article is new to me). The Eargasms sound great, while the Loop Experiences sound better in another vid of his. I have no idea whether the mannequin head is anatomical or what, but I presume that it's common wrt to research for hearing aids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back