earplugs for concerts
Feb 23, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #16 of 20
Maybe I'm thinking about a different "Hearos" then... the ones I'm thinking about are a sort of foam that you stick in your ears to totally block all sound.

Feb 23, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Maybe I'm thinking about a different "Hearos" then... the ones I'm thinking about are a sort of foam that you stick in your ears to totally block all sound.

Yeah, they have a whole range. Are they "nude" coloured? If so, then those suck.

BTW, re-read the thread, and I was not thinking of the Hear-O's, I was thinking of the good ones that I posted the link to (first link). Those are "EarWare" (tm). They are the ones that look like re-packaged blue-tip Ety's.

Feb 23, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #18 of 20
The Hearos I have are labeled High Fidelity and are white rubber xmas trees with blue trunks, just like the ER-20BNC. I needed them because I'm having a (likely blood pressure induced) tinnitus right now and didn't want to aggrevate it or mask it with the temporary tinnitus that concerts sometimes induce so that I could keep my appointment with my general practitioner, monitor the effects of stopping certain drugs (allegra, ibuprofen, etc.).

So anyway... I wore them to Bob Dylan tonight at Dallas' reunion arena, a venue that almost always gives me serious ringing and headaches because it has the accostics of a concrete cellar. With the plugs in the concert actually sounded better than without--the discrepency between the bass impact I felt in my body and the volume of the bass I was hearing was the only problem I had with them. The attenuation was "even enough" and it seemed to block just enough to bring the music down to an enjoyable level.

Feb 23, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #19 of 20
I use the foamies, various brands such as North, EAR, etc. that are OSHA mandated in noisy industrial environments. Probably not fantastic for concerts as I'm sure the frequency response curve sucks. They sure as hell block noise though. I hate sticking them in my ears, as I've never found such things comfortable, although I can tolerate them for 3 or 4 hours. Supposed to be around -30db.

Fantastic at race tracks. I normally use sealed 'phones with my scanner, -30db, but sometimes at local races I don't use the scanner, so I use the foamies. I generally carry about 10 pair and pass them out to people around me. We can carry on conversations fairly well and not be listening to the cars 2 days later. Probably the same as Rite-Aid, but I grab a habdful every time I'm in a plant some where.

Most live music I hear these days is jazz trio's and quartet's, and they really aren't that loud.

Feb 23, 2002 at 9:24 AM Post #20 of 20
I ordered 6 0r 7 pair of the Ety earplugs a couple of months ago, one pair for each of our three cars, and one pair for each of the three jackets I wear to go out most often. I already have two or three pairs of the "musicians earplugs" that I got at Sam Ash and Musicians Friend, and I'm pretty sure they are the rebadged Etys too. The way I look at is if I don't have them with me when I need them, they don't do me any good.

I usually use them at movie theaters, concerts, races, etc. For work I sometimes wear the Hearos soft, tan colored plugs that you roll up as I find they are more comfortable for long-term use than the Etys. For extremly loud noises like shooting, or watching top fuel dragsters (nothing like 5000 horsepower to make a little noise
biggrin.gif
) I usually use full sized hearing protectors for easy removal or sometimes the highest noise rating foam plugs I can find.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back