earplugs for concerts
Feb 21, 2002 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Since the hearing loss threads have come up several times...

What are the best earplugs to get for attending loud concerts? Do any chain stores carry them?

I picked up some Hearos from Guitar Center last night for $15. They only block 12db and they're not really that flat if you look at the attenuation curve on the back of the packaging.

I'd intended to find etymotics but didn't know if anyone sold those locally.

My hearing tested perfect at the audiologist, but I know I've got some reduction since when I was a kid--loud noises used to hurt more than they do now, for instance. Rock concerts still cause me some pain though and I don't like the whole after-concert-can't-hear-each-other-yelling-at-Dennys experience.

Feb 21, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 20
I use the Etymotic ER-20s myself. I always carry them now to every movie I go to. I never can get as good of a seal as I'd like to since I'm trying to be discreet about plugging my ears while everybody sitting around you is acting like Superman, taking in 95+db of sound, but even just by casually sticking them into my ears, it's still enough to cut the noise down by a lot. And since there's filters, you don't miss too much other than the dangerous sudden dynamic bursts of sounds such as gunshots, which I believe is what the ER-20s try to eliminate. Voices still come through quite clearly, and with theaters you can easily feel the bass.

I ordered mine through Headroom, I've gotta say, they're the best open air earplugs I've ever used to date. There's another type I picked up before from a guitar store that also had filters, but they're not as comfortable as the Etys and the filter isn't nearly as transparent sounding. The ER-20s were definitely an upgrade from those.

Feb 21, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 20
I second Vertigo

The ER-20's are perfect for concerts and cinemas like he described
smily_headphones1.gif
and I would know as I use them too
smily_headphones1.gif

Kudos to Etymotic
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 20
Last time I checked, if you were just ordering ER20s (see the infamous language threads for alternative spelling suggestions), it was cheaper to order them straight from Etymotic, since their minimum shipping cost was slightly cheaper than headroom.

For me a $2 differences represents one lunchspecial at the local Chinese place....

Feb 21, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 20
i got the clear er20 from etymotic directly. i also got the cord for another buck, but i don't know if i'll ever use it. i haven't tested th er20 at a concert yet, but they do let a lot of high frequency info in. so far i haven't gotten used to the feel... they are much less comfortable than the er6 silicon tips.

vert-
proudly pull on your ear, and with a flourish work those plugs in until you get a good seal. who knows, some kid may see you and say to himself "man, if someone as kewl as him uses plugs, maybe i should too!"
wink.gif
heck, if my dad has no problems cleaning his ears with his car keys in public you shouldn't be shy about putting the er20 in.

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 20
So basically you can't get the Etymotics in a local store? Mail order only?

Also, 20db seems like a lot to reduce for a movie to me. Is it not? The Hearos I got are only 12db and I'm planning to use them at a loud concert.

Feb 21, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 20
I picked up ear plugs from Rite aid a few weeks ago. The brand is: Howard Leight Hearing Protection. They claim to offer 33db of protectionand are orange and basically you pinch and roll with your thumb and index finger and insert into your ear. The ear plug then expands into your ear. I used them once at a radiohead concert and they worked EXTREMELY well. Blocked out all the audience noise (this was at Madison Square Garden) and all i could hear was the band
biggrin.gif

Oh, i paid $3 for 4 pairs and it comes with a plastic container to carry your earplugs around with you
biggrin.gif

Check em out!

George

Feb 21, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 20
I also picked up some 'hearos' brand plugs for a weezer concert tonight, 27 db protection, i'm wondering if i'll still get a pretty good sound from the concert? they're rubbery, and look like the etymotic earphones in shape. i'm also wondering about the good seal...i'm wearing them as i'm typing and i can still hear the sounds of the keyboard clicking and the air conditioner in the background but i really can't imagine putting the earplugs any farther in than they are now and it still be safe. any ideas?

Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
heck, if my dad has no problems cleaning his ears with his car keys in public you shouldn't be shy about putting the er20 in.

i don't think i needed to hear that!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

proudly pull on your ear, and with a flourish work those plugs in until you get a good seal. who knows, some kid may see you and say to himself "man, if someone as kewl as him uses plugs, maybe i should too!" heck, if my dad has no problems cleaning his ears with his car keys in public you shouldn't be shy about putting the er20 in.

LOL!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
"Yeah kid these are the very same earplugs Vertigo-1 uses, cool noh? Go get some too!"
very_evil_smiley.gif

I do wish Headroom stocked the clear ones, I ended up with ones with blue filter tips...oh well, in a theater nobody can see em, and that's the only place I really use them.

Feb 21, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 20
like i said, etymotics.com has the clear ones and they are the saem price as headroom.

the only problem with those full foam plugs is the frequency response looks like a steep slope: all bass and no highs.

sa44,
yeah, sometimes i ask him if he's trying to start his brain.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

biggrin.gif

ROFL!!

biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 20
The problem with Hearos and the other drug store earplugs is that they work by simply blocking your ear canal. You block out noise, but you also can't hear very well
wink.gif

The ER20s are completely different. They attenuate external noises fairly consistently across the frequency spectrum, but still let a certain amount of all frequencies in. So you can still hear everything perfectly, just at lower SPLs. This is great for concerts because you can still enjoy the music in all its splendor. It's also great for other noisy environments, because you can still carry on normal conversations. I have three pairs of the ER20s -- I keep on in the car, one at home, and one in my backpack, so I'll always have some around if needed.

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
The problem with Hearos and the other drug store earplugs is that they work by simply blocking your ear canal....The ER20s are completely different. They attenuate external noises fairly consistently across the frequency spectrum, but still let a certain amount of all frequencies in.

As it turns out, according to someone at Etymotic, the Hearos are actually remarked ER-20BSCs:
ER-20BSC
The price of the label and buying from Guitar Center was an extra $5. They're only $10 from Etymotic, but the Hearos version from Guitar Center is $15. Go figure.

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

I used to do that. I was talking to someone (who happens to be very clever), and he caught me saying, "I was thinking...", and he said, "...of unlocking the potential of your mind?"

I don't think I've done it since, but every time I see someone sticking a key in their ear, I smile.

Okay, serious answer to the question: I have several different levels: 6, 20-something's, and something around 30. I hate the 30's, they do that dum-bass thing. I need to try those Ety's and those Rite-aid ones. Because sometimes concerts are only a little bit too loud (I find these to be pretty good for the likes of The Church, Afghan Whigs, Chris Isaak, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/35825

And sometimes they're a lot too loud (I find these good for the likes of Opeth, Moonspell, Dimmu Borgir (seeing them on Sunday!), Dream Theater):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/35826

Maybe I should try those Rite Aid ones.

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 20
Oh, really? So I'm already using Ety's, and I didn't even know it? Cool. I think I recommended these to Fiddler before in a different thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back