Earphones you can mow the lawn with?
Jul 13, 2008 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ADDAvenger

New Head-Fier
Title says it all, I'm a complete audio noob that doesn't want to get ripped off, and I'm looking for some earphones that will block noise at least as well as a pair of cheap earplugs. I have no idea what I'm looking for or even what I can reasonably expect these to cost, so shoot.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 19
you will probably want to look at some IEMs from either Shure, Etymotic, Westone, or Ultimate Ears.

The tips on them are similar to earplugs and do a great job isolating outside noises. The basic models start around $75

another option, which is much cheaper, is the JVC HA-FX33 (the marshmallows) they can be found at most electronics store for less than $20 and are a great budget earphone with awesome isolation. I mowed the lawn in some today

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 19
I've been using JVC marshmallows for a while now. Not really good enough isolation to listen to music enjoyably, but good for podcasts & audiobooks. Today I tried my SA6 and they actually isolated enough to listen to music - a bit expensive for mowing the lawn, but they did work well.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skullcandy Ink'd buds for $9.99 at FYE(at the mall). Definately not high end, but not bad for something like yard work.

glad to see someone taking a stand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 19
I use my Ety ER4P's simply because I have them. I tried the IM716s but they have a larger barrel that did not fit my ear canal comfortably. I'm sure there are other, lower priced options that are worth considering if you don't already have a pair of IEMs. Also, given the amount of isolation that you experience you might want to consider supplemental protection (over the ear type muffs) so that you aren't tempted to crank whatever it is that you're listening to to compensate.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 19
I mowed the yard in my Freq last night
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 19
I use my UM1 and 30dB ear muffs. I barely hear the mower even without music playing. I do the same for vacuuming.

For me, IEMs by themselves don't isolate enough. I hear too much of whatever is making the noise.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 19
I have done many experiments looking for a lawn mowing solution. Early on I used some open phones just lying inside the cups of a David Clark earmuff. Not hi-fi but it did work - sort of. To minimize noise even a pair of Koss plugs will work and as long as you don't really "listen" they sound OK. Currently I use IM 716 or ER-6i's. I can still hear the lawnmower engine a little but that is what I want for safety and efficiency.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 19
"Earphones you can mow the lawn with"

I would use a lawnmower to mow the lawn. I'm not sure that Sure, Sennheiser, UE, or any of our favorite IEMs on this forum are sharp enough to cut grass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Ultimate Ears UE5c.

I use my travel rig when I mow the lawn:
8gig iPod Nano > ALO four wire Jumbo Cryo LOD > RSA Tomahawk > Ultimate Ears UE5c.

Truly a wonderful combination that provides KILLER sound, portable, lightweight, blocks out a ton of background noise, etc.

Never been so happy cutting the grass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back