Earphones with microphone controls for Android devices recommendations?
Feb 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kiraaaa

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I just ordered an android phone and it should be arriving later this month so I'm looking for a good pair of earphones that I can use with them to control the music player.

I currently own the Klipsch S4i's that work for Apple products, but I don't like the fact that the 3.5mm plug is not "L-shaped", so when it's plugged into my phone in my pocket, it's uncomfortable and I feel like it will eventually bend and break the cable.
Another thing I don't like is that they suffer from "microphonics", and so I can hear noises when the cable rubs against my shirt.
Comfort was a problem at first, since I never used IEM's before and so my ears were not used to it, but it doesn't bother me as much anymore..

I did actually enjoy the Apple earbuds that came with all the older Apple products because they were comfortable, they weren't 'in-ear' and so I could wear them under my beanie or wear them to sleep without it hurting. It's just that they always broke after about a year or two.
Oh, and I also enjoy a good amount of bass.

So I am looking for: 1) Obviously sound quality.
                             2) Comfort ( non 'in-ear' would be a bonus! )
                             3) Mic control ( for android devices! )
                             4) L-shaped connector
                             5) NO microphonics!
                             6) some bass would be nice

I did a quick search on these forums and only found recommendations for the S4A's.
Are there any good alternatives?
Btw, I would like to keep it under $100 , but if it's slightly over $100 please still let me know.
Thanks for any recommendations!

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 15
I'm using a pair of Klipsch S4A (second version, but also had the first gens too) and I personally do like them. I have a similar taste in music to yours. One thing to note though is that again, both the S4A versions have straight connectors rather than L-shaped.

As for the cord itself, the newer version is a "tangle-free" (thicker, flat cord), but I don't like how they put the mic so far down. It's placed right before it splits apart rather than on the left earphone cord which I prefer much more. I personally do find them fairly comfortable though and can wear them for hours.
The build quality of it overall isn't anything amazing, but Klipsch has a 1 or 2 year warranty.. so it should be okay for you.

I can't really recommend any other IEMs for android though.

Good luck!

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
I'm using a pair of Klipsch S4A (second version, but also had the first gens too) and I personally do like them. I have a similar taste in music to yours. One thing to note though is that again, both the S4A versions have straight connectors rather than L-shaped.

As for the cord itself, the newer version is a "tangle-free" (thicker, flat cord), but I don't like how they put the mic so far down. It's placed right before it splits apart rather than on the left earphone cord which I prefer much more. I personally do find them fairly comfortable though and can wear them for hours.
The build quality of it overall isn't anything amazing, but Klipsch has a 1 or 2 year warranty.. so it should be okay for you.

I can't really recommend any other IEMs for android though.

Good luck!

Yea, I also dislike the placement of the microphone on the Klipsch S4's. I have the newer "tangle-free" cord one, but I really don't care much for it, I much rather have a cable that doesn't product so much microphonics.
I'm fine with comfort with Klipsch, and yea there is a 2 year warranty.
Like I stated before though, the main problem I have with the Klipsch is the "straight" connector instead of "L-shaped".
Thanks for your input though.
Quote:
Out of your budget a little, but I'm using Shure SE215 with the optional mic cable (extra $50) on my GSII with great results.

Nice, it has the L-shaped connector :)
But I googled and there are two different mic cables. One for Apple products and another for Android devices.
The apple one has 3 buttons, to play/pause, change songs, and answer/end calls.
The android one only has one button to answer/end calls.
You probably have the android one with one button right? Can you change songs with it? Or only to answer/end calls?

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Nice, it has the L-shaped connector :)
But I googled and there are two different mic cables. One for Apple products and another for Android devices.
The apple one has 3 buttons, to play/pause, change songs, and answer/end calls.
The android one only has one button to answer/end calls.
You probably have the android one with one button right? Can you change songs with it? Or only to answer/end calls?

I'm fairly sure all (or almost all) android mics can change songs with one button by usually double tapping the button. You can also download a few apps to customize the button hitting. The thing I hate about the one button is that I always end up dialing somebody instead.

I'm about to Brainwavz R1 from MP4 Nation. It's on sale and it's super cheap with a microphone. Dual drivers.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 15
I use the android app Headset Button Controller and set it up like this:
1 click: pause/play
Double-click: skip
Triple-click: previous
Long click: volume up
Click and hold: volume down

1 button does it all.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I'm fairly sure all (or almost all) android mics can change songs with one button by usually double tapping the button. You can also download a few apps to customize the button hitting. The thing I hate about the one button is that I always end up dialing somebody instead.

I'm about to Brainwavz R1 from MP4 Nation. It's on sale and it's super cheap with a microphone. Dual drivers.

Lol, that's weird.. how do you end up dialing someone??
And thanks for the heads up on the R1's! It's L-shaped and cheap too, but do you think it will work with Android devices?
Quote:
I use the android app Headset Button Controller and set it up like this:
1 click: pause/play
Double-click: skip
Triple-click: previous
Long click: volume up
Click and hold: volume down

1 button does it all.

-Accidental ******* aka Jeremy
[Guide] Headphone/Earphone Buying

Ohh yea, I remember reading something about an app controller before. Good to know 1 button is enough, thanks.
Do you know if the app will work with the Brainwavz R1? If not, I will prob end up getting the Shure's.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Lol, that's weird.. how do you end up dialing someone??
And thanks for the heads up on the R1's! It's L-shaped and cheap too, but do you think it will work with Android devices?
Ohh yea, I remember reading something about an app controller before. Good to know 1 button is enough, thanks.
Do you know if the app will work with the Brainwavz R1? If not, I will prob end up getting the Shure's.

My HTC One X has default setting to redial the last number if I hold it haha.
On the website it says it should work with Androids and iPhones, but after looking around on google, it seems the R1's don't work with Sony smartphones. I'm using a HTC One X though, so I should be okay. 
I have no idea about the apps working with the R1 but it probably will. I never had mics that haven't worked with apps yet. 

On a side note, I have no doubt that the Shure SE215's are probably great since I see them continuously getting good reviews. But these are a third of the price and have pretty nice reviews too (aside from the quality control). The R1's also have dual drivers compared to Shure's single one.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
My HTC One X has default setting to redial the last number if I hold it haha.
On the website it says it should work with Androids and iPhones, but after looking around on google, it seems the R1's don't work with Sony smartphones. I'm using a HTC One X though, so I should be okay. 
I have no idea about the apps working with the R1 but it probably will. I never had mics that haven't worked with apps yet. 

Oh lol interesting, hopefully I can disable that setting if it's on my phone.
I'm getting a Nexus 4 so, I should be okay.. hopefully :)
I wonder if my S4i's for apple products will work with the app then? I'll probably still end up getting the Brainwavs anyway, but just wondering lol.
And yea, I'm leaning more towards the R1's right now because of the price difference.
Edit: Also, I read that the Brainwavz R1's with mic on sale at mp4nation right now is the old version. Just a heads up

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 15
Should be okay! Uh my experience with one of the Logitech UE IEM's (don't remember which) that was made for iPhones didn't work with my Samsung S2 with or without an app. 

Oh damnit I already put in an order for the one with a mic. I did contact their customer service to just send me the non-mic version if it's the old version at the same time I put in my order though. Hope it's all good. Thanks though.

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 15
I used to use Klipsch S4i (bought before S4a was announced), with Headset Button Controller, center button was fully functional, just like I use the button with my Shures.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Should be okay! Uh my experience with one of the Logitech UE IEM's (don't remember which) that was made for iPhones didn't work with my Samsung S2 with or without an app. 

Oh damnit I already put in an order for the one with a mic. I did contact their customer service to just send me the non-mic version if it's the old version at the same time I put in my order though. Hope it's all good. Thanks though.

Quote:
I used to use Klipsch S4i (bought before S4a was announced), with Headset Button Controller, center button was fully functional, just like I use the button with my Shures.

Thanks both of you for the fast and helpful responses! Appreciate it :)

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Let us know when you get them how the remote works with Android. I'm considering picking up a pair for my son on his birthday in March.

I posted this in the bigger Brainwavz R1 Review thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/631240/brainwavz-r1-review), but here it is again. Overall, if your son likes bass-heavy music, get them. I use these to work out since they're over-ear.

Here's another quick review of the Brainwavz R1s.
I bought these during the pre-order sale about 3 weeks ago. 

Build:
Luckily, these second generation versions of the Brainwavz R1s have fixed their mic position that previous reviews have mentioned and no longer are too far up. It sits at about your upper pec (good spot).
The memory wire by the ear works fairly well (must be worn over-ear. 
Eartips... They don't fit the greatest for me. Luckily, they do include Comply Foam Tips, which do conform to basically any ear and provide a very nice seal. The problem with these (as all comply foam tips), is that you better clean your earwax often, otherwise it'll stick to these tips. 
Wires look solid, with an 3.5mm jack.

Sound:
These are my first dual driver IEMs, but I have/owned a few consumer type headphones/IEMs (Klipsch Image One Bluetooth, Bowers & Wilkins P3, Klipsch S4A (I & II), Monster Turbines, IE Beats, Shure 215, various cheap ones). 
Currently, I regularly use my S4A (II).. and while I love the S4A, these are much better for bass IF you can find the proper seal. Just massive bass monsters that are fairly clean for a very good price. The treble and their mids however, are just okay. 
One problem I do have with these though is that they have driver flex on bass-heavy songs when played louder. I've been informed that changing the eartips may help, but the other tips don't fit very well with me.

Price:
Amazing value overall, especially since I got them on sale. 

Overall:
If you're into pretty bass-heavy music, definitely! I'd probably stay away if you're looking for bright headphones or listen to a lot of treble/mid focused music. 
Great product in my opinion though, driver flex aside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back