Earphones. Which?
Mar 15, 2005 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

IpodSF

100+ Head-Fier
Which earphone do you guys recommend as a complete upgrade from the iPod buds but under $50? It needs to be comfortable and stay in your ears. Let me know. Thanks in advance!

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 32
use your er4-p... best you'll find
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022
use your er4-p... best you'll find
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh, I know that however I am searching for the best low end earphone under $50.

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 32
Doooo do dooo do. Doooo do dooo do. Doooo do dooo do. ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 32
True however I am looking for an earphone not Shure or Etymotic and it strictly must be for $50 or under.

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 32
Koss KSC75

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 32
I have the E2C, and while I can live with the rolled off top end, the comfort and hassle of inserting is just too much of a pain for me. So, based upon the many recommendations here, I just picked up the Sharp MD33-S from Audiocubes (arrived in 4 days!). Out of the box, these things are great straight out of my iPod. No rolled off highs, nice mids, and decent bass (at least the equal of the 2C). I'm sure all will improve with use.
The best part for me is the ease of insertion (none needed) and the comfort level. I have them in now and don't even know they're there! These things are just about weightless and very soft. I'm luvin' 'em already! At $49 shipped, these are a helluva bargain. Highly recommended.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF
True however I am looking for an earphone not Shure or Etymotic and it strictly must be for $50 or under.

Poor guy. Nobody seems to be reading the whole post or else people are just ignoring the earphone part of it.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I've been doing some research on earbuds myself, and the only ones that seem to be consistently well regarded in that price range are the Senn MX400/450 and the Sony MDR-E888LP. The Senns are only around $15 and the Sony is going to run you around $45 off of eBay.

Beyond those, it looks like the next step up would be the Audio-Technica CM7. I'm personally probably going to go with those. It's way past your budget though, at around $140 from AudioCubes.

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 32
i've heard the new grado sr325i's are great

[size=xx-small]but really, i think the senn MXx00's very sound good; get those[/size]

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 32
Sony Ex71. Right at $50. Good phones <$100, if a little bass heavy.

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 32
I would put the MD33s in the same category as earbuds. They do not require any insertion technique, ala Etys or Shures.....you just put 'em in....no muss, no fuss....just like buds. Thay also do not isolate nearly as much as Etys or Shures. I have the MX-400, MX-500, and the Sony E888 buds, and I would rank these Sharps at the top of the heap. The extremely detailed sound is what sets them apart. That's to my ears, of course.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I have the E2C, and while I can live with the rolled off top end, the comfort and hassle of inserting is just too much of a pain for me. So, based upon the many recommendations here, I just picked up the Sharp MD33-S from Audiocubes (arrived in 4 days!). Out of the box, these things are great straight out of my iPod. No rolled off highs, nice mids, and decent bass (at least the equal of the 2C). I'm sure all will improve with use.
The best part for me is the ease of insertion (none needed) and the comfort level. I have them in now and don't even know they're there! These things are just about weightless and very soft. I'm luvin' 'em already! At $49 shipped, these are a helluva bargain. Highly recommended.
biggrin.gif

Interesting however are the Sharp MD33-S earbuds only avaliable from Audiocubes?

Mar 15, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
Sony Ex71. Right at $50. Good phones <$100, if a little bass heavy.

I hear the EX71's come out of your ear fairly easily and to stay away from them unless you like holding them in your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back