Earphones vs mp3 player
Nov 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deepoison

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am planning to upgrade my phone to nexus 4 and need ur suggestion regarding that. I decided to buy a mp3 player along with phone as I am looking for good audio quality.

My friend says instead of buying a mp3 player, if I spend my money on a good earphone, it would enhance sound to the same level.

Is that true?
I am looking at sony z1060 as mp3 player and westone uem2 as earphone(open for suggestions though).

I hold Brainwavz M2 at present which are decent but lack the detail level.

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 8
I don't know about the Nexus 4's DAC, but either way, I think your biggest improvement will be from better earphones.

I'm assuming the Nexus 4 DAC isn't total crap, but I know the international galaxy S3 got a Wolfson (the US versions did not.)

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I don't know about the Nexus 4's DAC, but either way, I think your biggest improvement will be from better earphones.

I'm assuming the Nexus 4 DAC isn't total crap, but I know the international galaxy S3 got a Wolfson (the US versions did not.)

Thanks zalithian.... does nexus 4 + earphone match the audio quality of buying a separate mp3 player
or s3+earphone match a mp3 player?

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 8
I am fairly new to portable hifi. But not to hifi in general. That being said, the rule of thumb is 2/3 of your budget should go to speakers because unless you just have an utter junk source, the biggest bang for your buck in sound improvement is speakers. In this case your speakers = earbuds / IEM / headphones...

I always thought it interesting when people with HTIB (Home theater in a box) would come to the AVS forum asking which Denon receiver they should buy to pair with their Sony speakers from the HTIB... 

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Generally upgrading your IEM will give better outcomes, though you'll reach a point were you gain a see-saw effect, the IEM will be limited to the source feeding it, as will a good sources capability feeding a mediocre IEM. What you want is a balance between both, plus it becomes more complicated with higher end gear, some sources sound terrible with one IEM yet brilliant with another. Personally I believe a good source is really important once you start venturing into $200 - $300 IEM's because you spend all that money and limit them to a low quality source when they could perform so much better. I'm about about 60/40. 60% IEM 40% source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back