Earphones vs headphones
Feb 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

justinmonty

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm looking to get new earphones/headphones however I'm new to the whole sound world If anyone can help poitn out the advantage/disadvantage of each and how the sound is comparable?!? thanks a lot

what would be my best bet earphone around 100-250$

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 19
There are quite few IEMs to pick from:
But it is hard to recommend you something unless we know what type of sound you prefer, what are you looking for: Comfort, Isolation, Dynamic or Balanced Armatures?
Music you listen to, under what circumstances?

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 19
If I am to purchase earphones I would like some isolations, comfort ( able to jog, etc)  and music wise I like a lot of variety! I will be listening to a lot of acoustic, rock,metal,rap,and a little house.

Thanks

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 19
it is very hard to get an IEM you can jog with. I personally never even attempted to jog with earphones in my ears.
Perhaps you should look into some sport-type Sennheiser earbuds instead...

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 19
I had some I didn't like the sound quality much it didn't sound natural or crisp and I'm no audiophile! is there a big difference in quality from IEM and headphones?

also for jogging I can just use my default apple earphones :xf_eek:

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 19
Usually IEMs are cheaper then Headphones.
If you want Top Tier sounding IEM,  expect to pay anywhere from 150 to 400 dollars..
For Headphones expect to pay double or even triple  for the same class phones.

In my opinion Best value IEM on the market is Radius DDM (HP-TWF11R).

There is quite a few reviews available out there.
Another great IEM is DBA02, HJE900, Ortofon e-Q5, Re262, among few.
Price range 150-250.

Check them out...

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 19
For under $250, I really like RE0, Q-jays, DBA-02, Etymotic ER4 (you can get it used), SRH840, FA-003. These represent fantastic values for the money.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 19
I don't know, my Turbine Pro Coppers are quite heavy, I wouldn't trust them not falling out of my ears even when I'm wearing them for walking outdoor, let alone jogging.
On the other hand, I sweat like a pig even when I'm using the cross trainer, apparently, IEMs with dynamic drivers like the Turbines or IE8s are less likely to get damaged by sweat or moisture than armature drivers, so something with dynamic drivers is a safer bet. 
The difference sound-wise really depends on what kind of music you like or what kind of sound signature you prefer, I think IEMs and headphones can both be great, but I wouldn't take any of my headphones outdoor apart from my HD25-1 IIs. 
wink.gif

Quote:
sound wise whats the difference?

Originally Posted by bunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Monster Turbines worn over the ear can be used whilst jogging without falling out.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 19
One option could be to buy two sets of IEMs.  One for use while jogging/working out, and one for more relaxed use.  For me personally, the Meelectronic M6 works quite well for jogging -- it has a nice cable, goes over the ear, and has a shirt clip which all help prevent microphonics.  And they insert pretty deep and feel very secure.  And they're pretty cheap (I got mine for ~$20).  That would still leave most of the rest of your budget available for a "nicer" IEM to use when you're just listening.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 19
I would also agree in splitting up your budget between earphones you can jog with and headphones you can simply listen to. As far as jogging, there are a bunch of relatively cheap Sony athletic buds and such that will stay on your ear and sound alright. For listening, you can go for the Klipsch Image One headphones. They're extremely comfortable, and sound fantastic for the money (~150 I believe)

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 19
I have always thought that IEM sounds MUCH better than headphones! The sound quality of IEMs (good IEMs mind you, this includes Shure, Westone, Sennheiser, etc) in my experience far exceeds that of headphones. I believe IEMs have higher clarity, soundstage, instrument separation, etc. The only thing IEMs can lack is bass punch, that isn't to say that IEMs don't have bass! They can have incredibly smooth and deep bass, it just won't rattle your jaw like those 50mm drivers in headphones. People seem to always say that headphones are better because they cost more but they cost more because manufactures need to pay for the headstrap, casing and the larger drivers, whereas IEMs the manufacturer pays premium for smaller and more well built sound systems and then a small casing and cable. I also think that IEMs have better SQ because all the sound they emit is being directed directly into your ear canal and everything outside is blocked out if you get a good fitting IEM. Headphones shoot a lot of sound waves at the areas around your ear and don't isolate as well. The reason my Shure's hooked me on IEMs is because of the sound isolation, which increases your ability to focus on the music and the music alone. IEM are on the rise people! Headphones are not always better. Just my 2 cents :) 

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 19
  One option could be to buy two sets of IEMs.  One for use while jogging/working out, and one for more relaxed use.  For me personally, the Meelectronic M6 works quite well for jogging -- it has a nice cable, goes over the ear, and has a shirt clip which all help prevent microphonics.  And they insert pretty deep and feel very secure.  And they're pretty cheap (I got mine for ~$20).  That would still leave most of the rest of your budget available for a "nicer" IEM to use when you're just listening.

+1

I rock the JVC FX40s ($20) when running, TDK BA200s ($150) when I'm at school, and my reshelled TF10s (~$250) on trips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back