Earphones/IEMs for Classical and Jazz?
Aug 8, 2008 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
To elaborate, I'm looking for a pair of earphones/IEMs (well, music playing things to stick into my ears, regardless of depth) to go with my classical collection, and to a lesser extent, my jazz music as well. More specifically, I want a pair that'll play Mozart (esp. Requiem) and Mile Davis well. Any ideas? Price range between $50 and $150 (i.e., $100, with a large standard deviation). Thanks!

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 13
ER-4Ps, no question.

After hearing those, the SF5Ps were unlistenable to me.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my SF5pros with Jazz.

What kind of jazz do you listen to? I mostly listen to modern smooth jazz.

Pretty much everything, except for smooth jazz. A lot of bebop, post-bop and also more modern stuff.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 13
The Klipsch line is perfect for jazz and classical. I will have to at least admit that, sadly I listen to more rock if anything in which there's not enough at the higher end of the frequencies for me.

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #8 of 13
My vote is for something Etymotic. At the low end I loved the ER-6i for classical. Wasn't listening to jazz when I had them so I won't comment there, other than to extrapolate and say I think they will do fine with most jazz genres, but not all.

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 13
I have the ER-6i's and they are too 'clinical' for classical, they make it sound very cold. I'm not sure if any IEM will work well with classical music to be honest.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Id also say go for the etys. I actually like the way the details are heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 13
ER4 are a classic for classical
wink.gif
. I am now enjoying a lot my new yuin PK1. Amped from the ipod-mini³ and unamped from the cowon D2 are very nice. Very different from the etys, colored, bassy, but also with a sweet warm sound.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 13
The Ety's are not good for jazz. Jazz requires quite a bit of warmth to sound good which the Etys are lacking. Etys are great for classical but not ALL classical because again, they do lack that warmth.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 13
True, but they (even the er4P, or specially them) improve with an amp. An ER4P (which is bassier than the S) connected to a mini³ has bass. Try it. Out of an ipod with its bass roll-off, they lack bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back