Earphones for Sansa Clip + Recommendations
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tofty

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask for some recommendations if I may;
What earphones would people recommend for use with a Sansa Clip +?

I have several Sansa/Sandisk players , old and new, but I'm looking primarily for recommendations for use with the Clip+/Zip.
The searches I've made on this forum and elsewhere have uncovered results, but these threads were too old to be of use, since the earphones recommended have long since been discontinued.

Currently I'm using a cheap pair of JVC sport earphones (HA-EB75), but I've read that the Sansas can provide a much better sound than I'm currently utilising.
Most of my music is still in 320 mp3 format, but I'm looking to shift to more modern lossy and lossless formats where possible. I listen to a large variety of music, so can't really pin down any specific way I listen to things.

My budget is anywhere up to £250/$300 and I would be looking at getting more than one type as well, so I'm interested in all options: IEM, open air, with or without noise cancelling, earphones more suitable to a specific genre or other. I'd rather there was no in-line remote, but it may be unavoidable in some cases.

Where do people feel the limit of the cost vs benefit comes in with earphones used on a Clip +? When do the Clip's DAC shortcomings start to overwhelm any improvement in sound quality from higher end earphones?

I also have a Clip Sport Plus, so any recommendations for a set of wireless Bluetooth earphones for sport use would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Have you Rockboxed your Clip+/Zip units?

Headphones.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
or for more bass, ATH-WS99.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Wireless, can't go wrong with the Sony WF-1000XM3, can be had for around $140 refurbished, less if you buy used off the forums.

Not sure about wired recommendations as I don't know what kind of power those units put out.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 7
Have you Rockboxed your Clip+/Zip units?

Headphones.
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
or for more bass, ATH-WS99.

Yes I have Rockboxed some of my units and those are the ones I use most often.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Although I'm not primarily looking for over the head phones, as they're just not practical for me a lot of the time.

Wireless, can't go wrong with the Sony WF-1000XM3, can be had for around $140 refurbished, less if you buy used off the forums.

Not sure about wired recommendations as I don't know what kind of power those units put out.

Thanks I'll have a look at the Sonys.

I've read that speakers up to 80 ohms can be satisfactorily driven by a Clip+/Zip, but 16-32 ohms is the most suitable range.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 7
Non-isolating I'd recommend the Smabat ST-10S earbuds if you are ok with neutral'ish sound signature that has IEM like bass (ie: not rolled off or missing like many earbuds).

What kind of sound signature do you prefer?

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks I'll check out the Smabats as well.

I'm not really sure about my signature preference, as I've not experimented much, but I suppose I tend towards a more bassy sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back