Earphones better than Brainwavz M1 for around $50?
Jan 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

funnyjoke

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I posted a similar topic around a year ago and after reading all of the helpful replies and reviews, ended up buying the M1s.
They were great but not as good as the reviews made them out to be and one of the earphones stopped giving sound after a while anyway.

So i need to buy new ones now but have no idea which ones to go for. I'd like ones that sound better than the M1s but also for them to be under $50.
Also, not a necessity but it'd be nice if they were better built so that I don't have to buy new ones again so soon.

I was looking at the M2s but i doubt they'd be a real improvement over the M1s because i've read reviews that say the two have almost the same sound and build quality.

So please suggest ones that would be best for me (and also let me know if there's any good deals on them in the US).

All help is appreciated.
smile.gif

Thanks.
smile.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Hmm...What kind of music are you in to? If you like bass over treble, Klipsch S4 might be good. Usually retail at $80 ish, around $50 on amazon.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 15
What did you like about the M1?  What didn't you like about the M1?  What music do you listen to generally?  

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 15
The M1s are nice overall but they sometimes feel too sharp to me enough to get me to lower the volume. Sadly only one half of my M1s works now so I can't really judge them properly right now.

I listen to all kinds of songs but I like rock/energetic songs the most. Drums and bass are my favorite instruments but I like to listen to the vocals aswell.

I just want IEMs that have a better sound quality than the M1s for any genre of music but ones that also have nice bass, if that's not too much to ask for.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 15
The S4s are very bass-forward, and the trebles are slightly shrill, though foam tips such as Complys take the edge off. The trebles are slightly recessed with Complys, but they aren't shrill at all. Sounds like S4 with Complys (Totally not trying to promote my own rig right now) would work well for you.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
The S4s are very bass-forward, and the trebles are slightly shrill, though foam tips such as Complys take the edge off. The trebles are slightly recessed with Complys, but they aren't shrill at all. Sounds like S4 with Complys (Totally not trying to promote my own rig right now) would work well for you.

Thanks for the reply but are the comply tips necessary to get good sound out of them? I don't live in the US (I'm getting someone else to bring me them) so it would be hard for me to get  new ones If I need them.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 15
Where are you? They are on Amazons UK site, though not in the variety of size pack. They are OK without the comply tips, but you still get shrill highs on some songs at higher volumes. Other foam tips will accomplish the same thing, but may not be as comfortable.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Sony mh1c is in your pricerange and has a good non fatiguing sound compared to the more aggressive klipsch

Never tried the MH1C, but I have heard really good things about them. I'll admit, the S4s are quite aggressive and energetic.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 15
An idea might be the Dunu Trident.  Decent V-shape, fits all your expectations above.  

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 15
I was looking at joker's thread and I picked out these 3 IEMs so please tell me which one would be best for me:

id America Spark
VSonic GR02 Bass Edition
brainwavz m5

I'll look into the ones you guys suggested aswell so thanks. :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 15
I still really like the sort of sound I got with the M1.
But I do believe, as was the case for me, that if you get another IEM with superior SQ, the sound signature itself is not that important at first.

My own, still unfinished journey for the perfect IEM, started with M1 and AKG 51DJ. I found the AKG Headphones too bass-heavy. The M1's are very mid-forward and accentuate on vocals.
I can't think of any sub-50 USD IEM that has a similar signature as the M1, apart from the Sony MH1. But my advice is: don't stare blind on signature when you only tried a few IEMs. Best to find out if you might not like another sound signature even better.

I went totally the other direction with Hifiman RE0 and a warm amp to compensate. I loved it. Took a while before I found better SQ after RE0.
Now I have settled temporarely for Hifiman RE262 amped, Earsonics SM3 and Ortofon EQ-5. All 3 have their weaknesses but are amazing value.There still are so many IEMs I want to try and buy!

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
But I do believe, as was the case for me, that if you get another IEM with superior SQ, the sound signature itself is not that important at first.

My own, still unfinished journey for the perfect IEM, started with M1 and AKG 51DJ. I found the AKG Headphones too bass-heavy. The M1's are very mid-forward and accentuate on vocals.
I can't think of any sub-50 USD IEM that has a similar signature as the M1, apart from the Sony MH1. But my advice is: don't stare blind on signature when you only tried a few IEMs. Best to find out if you might not like another sound signature even better.

I went totally the other direction with Hifiman RE0 and a warm amp to compensate. I loved it. Took a while before I found better SQ after RE0.
Now I have settled temporarely for Hifiman RE262 amped, Earsonics SM3 and Ortofon EQ-5. All 3 have their weaknesses but are amazing value.There still are so many IEMs I want to try and buy!

What about the M5s? I'm leaning more towards them but i'm worried about the build quality since half of my M1s stopped working.

Anyway thanks for the replies guys but i just saw the guidance thread so i'll just ask there. :)

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 15
I've owned the M1 and tried the S4 - the latter is much more sibilant and bassier than the former (ie. I don't recommend). 
From reading Joker's review, I'd say go for the M5. I own the MH1C, and it's not a bad choice since it has nice rumble in the lower bass region and it's not sibilant-prone.

Quote:

I second s0lar's opinion, since I went the same route he did: pair an RE-ZERO with a slightly warm amp and now am settling on an RE-262. Try to drag a friend into the hobby so you can try his/her gear. Spread the love 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back