EarMen TR-Amp
Oct 3, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #16 of 165
I sent mine back. I was using mine as a portable amp utilizing an Ipad as a source. By the time I got a CCK and USB-C cords hooked up and then added IEM cables it just did not work for the space I used it in. I did like the sound and the 6.5 jack. The problem I did have was the volume control emitted audible static every time the volume was changed. Ultimately it went back and purchased a DAP which I found more versatile.
Yes, one of the "characteristics" of the TR-Amp is that it does indeed only produce static noise while the knob is being turnt - as soon as you stop turning it, the noise goes away. It also depends what headphone/IEM you are using - for example, I don't get any noise with Dekoni Blue or Hifiman Deva, while I am almost positive that I do get it with almost every dynamic driver. To me this wasn't a big issue, I found the performance of the TR-Amp to make up for this - you kind of get used to it after a short while.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 165
yeah I liked it with harder to drive full size headphones honestly

but the only small headphone I own is a wireless port a pro which is perfectly fine for what it is but if I want to sit down read a good magazine article newspaper or book I've got the tr-amp for that purpose

now they also have their earman eagle which is pretty spectacular and works much better and smaller spaces, it's much more compact and you don't have the line outs.

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 165
yeah I liked it with harder to drive full size headphones honestly

but the only small headphone I own is a wireless port a pro which is perfectly fine for what it is but if I want to sit down read a good magazine article newspaper or book I've got the tr-amp for that purpose

now they also have their earman eagle which is pretty spectacular and works much better and smaller spaces, it's much more compact and you don't have the line outs.
TR-Amp has quite a good amount of power, it really can power the majority of the stuff - Hifiman Deva did give it a challenge, but then, I could drive Dekoni Blue (also planar magnetic, but I believe much smaller driver) at very loud levels even when the knob was turned 12 o'clock.

So, the way that I understand it is that TR-Amp is directed more towards headphone use (look out for sensitive headphones, they can pick up noise)

Whereas Eagle and Sparrow are aimed towards IEMs/earphones and dynamic driver headphones. Both of these devices are tiny, yet they give out quite a good performance, I could drive my SR2 with no problem with both of these - and there was still 40% headroom for unreasonably loud volume. Sparrow benefits from the option of using the balanced 2.5mm output. To put it in perspective - Eagle and Sparrow are hardly the size of a thumb, like ridiculously tiny and easy to carry (Eagle uses the ES9281, while Sparrow uses the flagship ES9281Pro).

Here are the specs for both Eagle and Sparrow, I noticed that they aren't labelled on EarMen's website:
Eagle - ES9281
THD + N = -106 dB
SNR = 123 dB

Sparrow - ES9281PRO
THD + N = -112 dB
SNR = 122 dB

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 165
Yes, one of the "characteristics" of the TR-Amp is that it does indeed only produce static noise while the knob is being turnt - as soon as you stop turning it, the noise goes away. It also depends what headphone/IEM you are using - for example, I don't get any noise with Dekoni Blue or Hifiman Deva, while I am almost positive that I do get it with almost every dynamic driver. To me this wasn't a big issue, I found the performance of the TR-Amp to make up for this - you kind of get used to it after a short while.
This happens to me in another portable amp - Oriolus BA20. This happens when the ICs are overheating. I applied a small heatsink to the opamps and this issue went away.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #20 of 165
TR-Amp has quite a good amount of power, it really can power the majority of the stuff - Hifiman Deva did give it a challenge, but then, I could drive Dekoni Blue (also planar magnetic, but I believe much smaller driver) at very loud levels even when the knob was turned 12 o'clock.

So, the way that I understand it is that TR-Amp is directed more towards headphone use (look out for sensitive headphones, they can pick up noise)

Whereas Eagle and Sparrow are aimed towards IEMs/earphones and dynamic driver headphones. Both of these devices are tiny, yet they give out quite a good performance, I could drive my SR2 with no problem with both of these - and there was still 40% headroom for unreasonably loud volume. Sparrow benefits from the option of using the balanced 2.5mm output. To put it in perspective - Eagle and Sparrow are hardly the size of a thumb, like ridiculously tiny and easy to carry (Eagle uses the ES9281, while Sparrow uses the flagship ES9281Pro).

Here are the specs for both Eagle and Sparrow, I noticed that they aren't labelled on EarMen's website:
Eagle - ES9281
THD + N = -106 dB
SNR = 123 dB

Sparrow - ES9281PRO
THD + N = -112 dB
SNR = 122 dB

I loved the Earmen Sparrow sound- and size-wise, but sent it back due to the fact it was picking up data noise as I walked down the street. This would become extremely clear when you’d be in between songs. If that wasn’t the case the Sparrow would have been a very much loved mobile dac for me. Now interested in trying the Tr-Amp for my main system.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 165
I loved the Earmen Sparrow sound- and size-wise, but sent it back due to the fact it was picking up data noise as I walked down the street. This would become extremely clear when you’d be in between songs. If that wasn’t the case the Sparrow would have been a very much loved mobile dac for me. Now interested in trying the Tr-Amp for my main system.
What type of noise? I couldn't get any type of noise with either of them (I tested them with ~6 different headphones,couldn't hear noise).

I know that headphones can get microphonics from the cable, but not sure how there is noise when you walk 🤔 Also, am not sure how walking would affect it. Did you keep it in your pocket?

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #22 of 165
What type of noise? I couldn't get any type of noise with either of them (I tested them with ~6 different headphones,couldn't hear noise).

I know that headphones can get microphonics from the cable, but not sure how there is noise when you walk 🤔 Also, am not sure how walking would affect it. Did you keep it in your pocket?

Initially I thought it was the cable, but after trying different cables and IEM combinations I was starting to worry. Next to that I have walked around with a Fiio BTR5 in Bluetooth and wired mode, never had that issue either.

I don’t know how to accurately describe it, but it’s the same sound as mobile phones would pick up in the past, the same bleeps. It’s not constant. Maybe WiFi coverage in my city coming from homes, as everyone is using routers.

It happened when connected to a MacBook as well. Mobile phone wise I use an iPhone 11. Tried different cable combinations with lightning connectors as well.

I truly regretted sending it back, because I loved the sound. But the pick-up of those sounds were unforgivable at that price point.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #23 of 165
Initially I thought it was the cable, but after trying different cables and IEM combinations I was starting to worry. Next to that I have walked around with a Fiio BTR5 in Bluetooth and wired mode, never had that issue either.

I don’t know how to accurately describe it, but it’s the same sound as mobile phones would pick up in the past, the same bleeps. It’s not constant. Maybe WiFi coverage in my city coming from homes, as everyone is using routers.

It happened when connected to a MacBook as well. Mobile phone wise I use an iPhone 11. Tried different cable combinations with lightning connectors as well.

I truly regretted sending it back, because I loved the sound. But the pick-up of those sounds were unforgivable at that price point.
Hm.. quite unusual. Did you try contacting EarMen about it? I'm sure they could've sent you a replacement unit.

I am not experiencing what you are, not at any point.

EDIT: AHAAAA. Finally figured out what you are talking about. This was an issue with SABRE's chip, it was fixed with a software update. I can confirm this, EarMen officially brought up this issue to me and confirmed that it is now fixed with a software update.

This was confirmed to me last week, so this is a problem of the past

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #24 of 165
Hm.. quite unusual. Did you try contacting EarMen about it? I'm sure they could've sent you a replacement unit.

I am not experiencing what you are, not at any point.

EDIT: AHAAAA. Finally figured out what you are talking about. This was an issue with SABRE's chip, it was fixed with a software update. I can confirm this, EarMen officially brought up this issue to me and confirmed that it is now fixed with a software update.

This was confirmed to me last week, so this is a problem of the past

What update was that? I did do a firmware update once that could be found on their website.

I did inform the shop I bought it from, and they said they would look into it. The problem is that it’s not something you can test, it comes and goes. The only way is listening and walking around or sit and see what happens.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #25 of 165
What update was that? I did do a firmware update once that could be found on their website.

I did inform the shop I bought it from, and they said they would look into it. The problem is that it’s not something you can test, it comes and goes. The only way is listening and walking around or sit and see what happens.
I don't know how recently it was fixed with the firmware update, but SABRE fixed it (with a delay...) with the firmware uodate that you can find on the website. Now it is fixed, that's something that I can say for sure. It is exactly as you said - inconsistent noise/crackling.

You could contact EarMen directly to ask about the exact date that the update was put in function.

Oct 4, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #26 of 165
I don't know how recently it was fixed with the firmware update, but SABRE fixed it (with a delay...) with the firmware uodate that you can find on the website. Now it is fixed, that's something that I can say for sure. It is exactly as you said - inconsistent noise/crackling.

You could contact EarMen directly to ask about the exact date that the update was put in function.

No, that isn’t the same issue. The firmware update I added was pretty recent. The unit I had was sent back just last week. It’s not crackling, it’s a distinguished soundwave from picking up data. I might send a message to Earmen regarding the problem though.

Oct 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #27 of 165
It's a shame this doesn't have 4.4mm I/O

Oct 4, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #28 of 165

Users who are viewing this thread

Back