EarMen Sparrow
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #136 of 354
In your experience, is it entirely quiet with zero emi noise and hiss while using its balanced mode? Have you tried/heard it balanced? SE for me is pretty much OK. But I get intermittent hiss on its 2.5 mm output - which distracts from the music :rolling_eyes:
That single incident as I remember was with balanced, the only cable I had at that time. The interference was the same whether I attached the unit to the phone or kept it away at the Sparrow's cable length.
Regularily, Sparrow is dark pitch quite on both SE and Balanced.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #137 of 354
For everyone who is experiencing EMI noise issue:

I sent my unit back to Earmen UK distributor. They tested it and came back to me saying: there's nothing wrong with my Sparrow. They cannot replicate the EMI issue. This was tested by multiple technicians on multiple different devices.

I put the Sparrow on as soon as I got it back. Same thing. EMI noises everywhere.

So people, if you don't like noises on your Sparrow, tough. Unless the retailer you bought it from accept a return, you're stuck with it.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #138 of 354
For everyone who is experiencing EMI noise issue:

I sent my unit back to Earmen UK distributor. They tested it and came back to me saying: there's nothing wrong with my Sparrow. They cannot replicate the EMI issue. This was tested by multiple technicians on multiple different devices.

I put the Sparrow on as soon as I got it back. Same thing. EMI noises everywhere.

So people, if you don't like noises on your Sparrow, tough. Unless the retailer you bought it from accept a return, you're stuck with it.
Just great, that really sucks 🙄 big time. Thanks for sharing, though.

Dec 19, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #145 of 354
The EMI noise is real, but seems to be related to a strong external WiFi source. If you're hearing EMI, try a different room or step outside. Chances are the noise will dissapear. It's also generally inaudible when music is playing. So yes, there seems to be a shielding issue, but only under certain (rare) conditions.

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #146 of 354
The EMI noise is real, but seems to be related to a strong external WiFi source. If you're hearing EMI, try a different room or step outside. Chances are the noise will dissapear. It's also generally inaudible when music is playing. So yes, there seems to be a shielding issue, but only under certain (rare) conditions.
That could be a solution (go to a different room), but in my case it's quite impractical. I'm renting, and sitting on the corridor is not exactly a comfortable environment for enjoying music.

My EMI noises is actually audible during playback, which is quite sad.

I've contacted Earmen. Will update here once they got back to me.

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #147 of 354
That's was my assumption as well. Cheked with my friend (where I experienced the interference). He has a crappy wifi router where connection is frequently interrupted.
Try to shut down your router and see if the interference persists on mobile data. If none, then try to change your wifi band.

Hope that helps.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #148 of 354
My problem with mine is not EMI/RFIcnoise related, no problem with hiss either.. but the Balanced output [only] hard clips (clicking noise along with the music *and stops playing in iPad*) when volume is increased just a tad beyond medium with an older iPhone and iPad with the latest IOS.. No problems with a laptop running Win 10 Pro. Latest FW is being used..

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #149 of 354
My problem with mine is not EMI/RFIcnoise related, no problem with hiss either.. but the Balanced output [only] hard clips (clicking noise along with the music *and stops playing in iPad*) when volume is increased just a tad beyond medium with an older iPhone and iPad with the latest IOS.. No problems with a laptop running Win 10 Pro. Latest FW is being used..
I think I know what you mean. Hard clips that is very loud and stops the music.

My Android tablet has the same problem. I almost went deaf twice thanks to it.

Phone doesnt have that though.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #150 of 354
I think I know what you mean. Hard clips that is very loud and stops the music.

My Android tablet has the same problem. I almost went deaf twice thanks to it.

Phone doesnt have that though.
In both cases it sounds like something is altering your output volume too high. Since the Sparrow doesn't have its own volume control, you need to be VERY careful what's controlling your output from the source device. Reset all playback volume to zero and then increase it slowly until you get to a good level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back