EarMen Sparrow
Jan 18, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #181 of 354
Wow @KB just over an hour after ordering the 2.5 SXC 8 I get a FedEx tracking #! Typical Campfire/ALO Audio service one again.

as expected @KB SXC 8s arrived today. @EarMen have great punch and power for Cascade with 2.5 balanced output.

Jan 25, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #182 of 354
I suppose if Earmen don't get in touch with me in the next month or so about sending a replacement and the new ddhifi cable also still has the same rfi issues at least there's another cable I can try!

I think you're gonna be waiting for a while for a replacement cable mate.
Last time I spoke to them, they haven't got any ETA yet.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #188 of 354
Dear Valued Customers,

We would like to inform all of the Sparrow users who have an issue with a USB C cable to contact us in order to receive a new cable replacement.
You would need to send the order number or any proof of purchase, as well as information about receiving the shipment to the following mail: sales@earmen.com .

Thank you.

EarMen LLC

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #191 of 354
Hey all,

Is anyone driving a Hifiman Sundara with their Sparrow?

Is there.enough power there? What it like on the single ended output?

Thanks guys!!

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #193 of 354
Hey all,

Is anyone driving a Hifiman Sundara with their Sparrow?

Is there.enough power there? What it like on the single ended output?

Thanks guys!!
The BL output is much powerful and sounds way better than the SE - i suggest you replace your Sundara cable or the headphone :wink::wink:

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #194 of 354
For all those who asked,

EarMen Sparrow balanced 2.5mm TRRS standard

output-onlinepngtools (2).png

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #195 of 354
First, let me state that when this little device works properly the sound coming out of the balanced output is exceptional.
But unfortunately I have been having a lot of issues with the sparrow. When using on iPhone 12 with Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, static/crackling sound makes it impossible to listen to. EarMen’s CS replied to my complaint with this statement: Our recommendation is to keep Sparrow away from your phone and use shielded GND USB C cables at least 50 cm long.
Adding a 50 cm cable to a portable unit that should work with your smartphone kinda defeats the purpose of buying this thing for, you know, it’s portability factor. None of these crackling sounds appear when using on an iPad Pro.
However, when I pair them with a pair of Final Audio E5000, I need to plug in the Earmen labeled USB c to c in first, wait until the sparrow is turned on after blinking lights and then plug in the earphones cable (in this instance a 2.5 balanced cable) in order for them to be appropriately amplified. This also occurs with other earbuds (who are easier to drive) I own. The difference is night and day. Does this happen to anyone else? A portable device like this should be plug in and play IMO.

Every 30 minutes or so when listening from my IPad Pro, the sound would suddenly stop coming through and then play the audio completely distorted. Plugging the DAC in and out of the USB c input of the iPad resolves this. But again, this is not a pleasant experience.

EDIT: when listening from the USB C to USB A into USB Camera Adapter Lightning to iPhone 12 I also receive the message ‘accessory uses too much power’ as seen in the screenshot attached.

Maybe this is why the Cobalt, which only has a 3.5 mm output, with similar specs, arguably worst build quality but seamless workflow on any operating systems costs 100usd more?

I received an email from Earmen’s customer service saying that all issues would be resolved if I upgrade the DAC. However, I only own Apple devices and the FW upgrade can only be done on windows 10. It is not easy to find someone/a stranger with a windows laptop who will allow you to plug in a flash drive-looking device, especially during a pandemic.
I really hope Earmen get their stuff together, replace/refund all defect units or I find someone with a windows computer and the FW update resolves all these issues because boy when this thing works, it kicks ass!

Attachments

• 50895872-4DCF-4669-95F5-04B4EB819844.jpeg
    50895872-4DCF-4669-95F5-04B4EB819844.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back