EarMen Angel
Aug 11, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #122 of 167
Seeee, this is what I like about our products too! As I've spent more time listening over the years I've found the most revealing/transparent gear tends to pull you in subtly, and as you spend more time you start picking up on more and more little details within music you already love!!!

That said tho, the first time I heard Angel I found a few tracks that wow'd me then and continue to do so haha! It's a fantastic product isn't it!
It is indeed a great product. After using my Angel for some time now, I also still enjoy its sound. Both with full size headphones and with IEM's it has the power and performance to bring out the best in all of them without coloring them in any way. I hear the music as it should be. In fact I havn't used my desktop amplifier for a very long time. The Angel has fully taken over almost all my listening because of its do-it-all-convenience.

But in daily use, I really appreciate some of the design choices more and more. For instance, that it always turns the volume to 0 when plugging in a new IEM the next day. Some IEM's are super sensitive and other amps will stay at a high volume and sometimes blow my ears out. The Angel protects my hearing by bringing the volume to 0 each time. I really like that. I really like the volume adjustment... small increments and always perfect balance between left/right channel. I like that when pushing the high gain button, it keeps the volume the same. This is the only amp I know that has this wonderful feature. Then you can experiment with finding which gain is best without risking super high volume when shifting to high gain.
There are no pops in the sound at any time and I never had any problems with connection to either my phone or laptop... all that on top of very good sound, just makes it a well designed product in so many ways.

Aug 11, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #123 of 167
It is indeed a great product. After using my Angel for some time now, I also still enjoy its sound. Both with full size headphones and with IEM's it …

Well said and summed up. I think Angle is one of the best designed and well-thought products, and it has beautiful color too 😍. Reasons why I love it a lot. I use it daily: as a dacamp with my phone/laptop or as an amp with my LPGT.

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #124 of 167
It is indeed a great product. After using my Angel for some time now, I also still enjoy its sound. Both with full size headphones and with IEM's it has the power and performance to bring out the best in all of them without coloring them in any way. I hear the music as it should be. In fact I havn't used my desktop amplifier for a very long time. The Angel has fully taken over almost all my listening because of its do-it-all-convenience.

But in daily use, I really appreciate some of the design choices more and more. For instance, that it always turns the volume to 0 when plugging in a new IEM the next day. Some IEM's are super sensitive and other amps will stay at a high volume and sometimes blow my ears out. The Angel protects my hearing by bringing the volume to 0 each time. I really like that. I really like the volume adjustment... small increments and always perfect balance between left/right channel. I like that when pushing the high gain button, it keeps the volume the same. This is the only amp I know that has this wonderful feature. Then you can experiment with finding which gain is best without risking super high volume when shifting to high gain.
There are no pops in the sound at any time and I never had any problems with connection to either my phone or laptop... all that on top of very good sound, just makes it a well designed product in so many ways.
Indeed, the way the Angel adjusts the volume when making changes (e.g. switching IEMs) is such an important feature! It might not seem like a big deal, until you get an amp that does not do this. I have used such amps before and had a number of volume jumps that were very painful. One amp even had a design where switching the gain would require turning the volume button before it took effect. Ever since that amp, I have got so paranoid about making mistakes that I always take out/off my IEMs/headphone before turning on the music. EarMen did a really good job paying attention to these sorts of details while designing the Angel.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #125 of 167
Hi, couple of woah moments today, EDM based. Tight and rumbly bass, no muddiness, but also details at the same time. Impressive upgrade!

Camo and Krooked: Climax
Perturbator: future club

P.s. Battery life, using low gain, around 50% volume, 7hrs 30min (I timed it). About 2 hrs movies, 5.5hrs music. Charge time via laptop usb 3hrs 20min.

P.p.s. agree entirely about the zero volume at startup being a great feature, keep it on future models. High gain volume jump control is also good as it's only a couple of clicks different and not like 30% etc that would be difficult to manage or uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #128 of 167
I really want one of these but I need a dac/amp with an analog input. Can you recommend a reasonably priced A to D converter that would allow that? It needs to be decent quality as I also want to use it to rip some of my vinyl records.

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #129 of 167
I don't suppose any of you have compared the Angel with Hifiman's EF400? I'd love to know which sounds better.

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #132 of 167
Two quick Angel questions to confirm if you can please I would appreciate it! Loving the sound a lot

1) I just purchased a new unit Aug-23 (#268) and it has the silver volume dial, later units have a black one, is this purely cosmetic or any functional differences on later units?

2) I will usually use it at my desk and therefore plugged in most of the time, does that wear out the battery or does it bypass the battery when at 100% charge? Some devices don't like to be always charging but it depends how smart the circuitry is, I've googled but can't confirm it. Any issues for the battery lifespan with running it plugged in all the time?

Thanks!
Hi,

I will try to answer your questions:
1. The change is only of a cosmetic nature
2. Constantly holding the device on the charger will not damage the device or change the sound signal, but it will weaken the battery

Hope I helped.
Miroslav

Aug 19, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #133 of 167
If I could complain about just one thing with the Angel, then it is the battery indicator. It was not really an issue, once I found out that the battery is really OK. But for a long time I thought that the battery wasn't really that good and that it could only last for 4-5 hours. It took a while before I found out that it easily lasts 8-9 hours. It is just that the battery LED starts blinking RED for a LOOOONG time before the battery is indeed depleted. Maybe around 50%. So, the battery easily covers a whole work-day but it took a while before I found out.

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #134 of 167
If I could complain about just one thing with the Angel, then it is the battery indicator. It was not really an issue, once I found out that the battery is really OK. But for a long time I thought that the battery wasn't really that good and that it could only last for 4-5 hours. It took a while before I found out that it easily lasts 8-9 hours. It is just that the battery LED starts blinking RED for a LOOOONG time before the battery is indeed depleted. Maybe around 50%. So, the battery easily covers a whole work-day but it took a while before I found out.
100% agree. I noticed the same “issue “ with mine. But the battery does last 7-8 hours so it’s all good.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #135 of 167
Perhaps a firmware update to make it more precise, or like different levels of flash or timing might help? I agree it flashes red around 50% which means I live in charge panic and not really knowing where I am in the battery cycle. I guess we are spoiled by phones that predict the battery life to the minute, for simpler devices it is not uncommon for simple flashing, but perhaps there are tweaks.

Like flash orange at 50%, flash red at 25%, flash purple at 5% 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back