Earmax Pro vs regular Earmax?
Oct 6, 2002 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone done a comparison between the Earmax regular and the pro? Or does anyone know the difference? I heard that the Pro was designed to be able to handle lower impedence headphones such as the Grado. Since I am using the HD 580s this shouldn't be a problem right? It just seems to me that the pricing difference is pretty high and they both look the same (though looks can be deceiving)

But then again the Morgan Jones is basically the Earmax anyway right? So I could probably save even more by doing that DIY and I get to grab telefunken tubes right away instead of wasting money with the stock tubes.

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 9
I own the Earmax Pro and have never heard the regular Earmax. But several Head-Fiers (markl for one) have said that they had clipping problems with the regular Earmax even when driving high-impedance headphones like the Senn 580 or 600, something they didn't experience when they got an Earmax Pro later. It seems the Earmax Pro will allow higher volumes with both high and low-impedance headphones.

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Get the EMP...I have nothing but admiration for this little jewel which sits next to my bed!

"EarMax Pro looks the same as the EarMax, but has a different circuit, tubes and power supply. The advantages of the EarMax Pro include a slightly higher output level, more robust sound and the ability to drive lower impedance headphones such as Grados."

-Quote from ThemeGifts.com

Regular EarMax:

Bandwidth: 4 Hz - 1 MHz, ±3dB
Power Output: 100mW/ch
Input voltage: 19 volts
Load Impedance: 200 W - 2 KW
Source: any HL audio signal
Tube complement: 1 x ECC81; 2 x ECC86
Dimensions: 3.75" W x 3.50" D x 4.00" H
Weight (cast) 15 ounces
Input: RCA Jacks
Output: standard 1/4 inch headphone jack
Designed By: St. Brocksieper

EarMax Pro:

Bandwidth: 4 Hz - 1 MHz, ±3dB
Power Output: 150mW/ch
Input voltage: 18.9 volts
Load Impedance: 35 W - 1 KW
Source: any HL audio signal
Tube complement: 1 x AT7; 2 x 6DJ8 )or equivalent)
Input: RCA Jacks
Output: standard 1/4 inch headphone jack
Supply Input: Professional Lemo receptacle
Dimensions: 3.75" W x 3.50" D x 4.00" H
Weight (cast) 15 ounces
Designed By: St. Brocksieper

This is definitely one of those cases where you get what you pay for...

wink.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 9
You guys are probably right about this, the Earmax would be my endall purchase for my headphone amp so I think going the extra bit would be worth it. I bought the 580s instead of the 600s and there are times that I regret it.

Oct 8, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 9
First of all, I think the EMP is a terrific amp.

I have owned both the Earmax and the EMP. The Earmax is, IMO, essentially a worthless piece of gear. I listen loud, and the regular Earmax was not capable of driving the 100 ohm Etymotic ER4S to a satisfying volume without clipping. Upgrading to the EMP solved this problem. If bass response with your HD600 is a hot-button for you, there is no better amp than the EMP. Deep, deep bass, and all the tubey goodness (coloration) that can be had from tube gear.

Mark

Oct 8, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 9
RickG

Shame on you! How could an EMPro owner mix up the specs between the EMP & the regular EM!
redface.gif

The EMP is the one with the Power Output of 150mW/ch, amongst the other specs.

wink.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Larry, you're right! First i was confused by the «Load Impedance: 200 W - 2 KW», which mean ohm instead of watt...

I like my EMP, too – I think it's one of the best amps with the HD 580/600 (and not only with these). Despite its ability to drive 32 ohm headphones, it can play louder with a 300 ohm load. Therefore the Grados, e.g., are not the best match with it, although the sound is great – like with all headphones I own.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Oct 8, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by LarryS
RickG

Shame on you! How could an EMPro owner mix up the specs between the EMP & the regular EM!
redface.gif

The EMP is the one with the Power Output of 150mW/ch, amongst the other specs.

wink.gif

LOL! I didn't notice. I just did a copy and paste of the specs and mislabled them.

I think I'll fix it!

wink.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 9
I am new to the HeadFi world, but somewhat of an old hand on the Headwize site.

Here is just a little more information about these amps.

The original Earmax was reverse engineered by Morgan Jones in his book where he published a schematic. This schematic became the basis for several DIY tries at what was called the Morgan Jones headphone amplifiers.

If (and I do mean IF) the Morgan Jones schematic is accurate for the original Earmax, then the original Earmax design was extremely poor. It used an unbalanced White Cathode output stage that limited its power output capability and made it unable to drive low Z headphones.

I am not at all surprised by the comments in this thread.

For information on what is wrong with the original earmax and how to correct these flaws see:

Morgan Jones Amplifier

I revised this design using work done by John Broskie of the TubeCad Journal. Several DIYers have built the feedback and non-feedback versions of the revised amp and are getting very good results.

My understanding is that the Earmax Pro is a completely different design, using an SRPP output stage. This is a decent output stage, but IMHO it is inferior to a properly designed White Cathode amp.

But, I know that audio is frequently a matter of taste and my opinions may not be true for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back