Earmax Pro & Sennhieser HD650's V.S. Stax SRS-3030 Classic System II
Nov 8, 2004 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jasonharkin

100+ Head-Fier
Due to persistent nagging by family regarding the volume of my 5.1 surround system, I believe it is time for myself to delve into the audiophile world of the Headphone Enthusiasts. I am new to this world of headphones, however this forum has proved most useful in regards to information and reviews concerning hardware. I am currently looking at two headphone and amp setups they are,

First being an Earmax Pro and a pair of Sennhieser HD650's

Second being a Stax SRS-3030 Classic System II.

Additionally can anyone purpose any other quality headphone amp setups for a budget of £600.00 ($1150)

I would like to get some feedback from individuals who are familar with the above equipment as to what they sound like, and essentially which one is the best (If only it was that easy). Also a point of minor relevance is that the Earmax Pro I am considering buying is a used 2yr old German model, as live in the UK does anybody also know any information regarding voltage and German plugs etc.

Any Information is much appreciated.

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Even for someone who has heard both systems it will be impossible to say which one is «better». Their characteristic is very different, they have different virtues and flaws. Only you can decide which one is better for you.

I own the HD 650/Zu Mobius/EMP combination as well as an electrostatic system somewhat comparable to the 3030 system (I've just heard the latter yesterday again). I've decided for me that the dynamic system is better -- warmer, smoother, better sonic balance, more colorful (midrange!), more organic, more palpable, more impact throughout the whole spectrum, better microdetail, more musical (and slightly minor, but still great detail). These criteria weigh more than the higher resolution, the greater airiness, the deeper bass and the more lifelike soundstage of the electrostatic system.

I can't tell you anything about the compatibility between German and British plugs, but this shouldn't be an unsolvable problem anyway since both countries use 50 Hz/230 volt (right?).

peacesign.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 5
The two systems you list are very different sounding from each other. The Earmax Pro/Senn system is going to sound lush and warm while the the Stax system will sound noticably more forward, cool, and clean.

Both have a fantastic midrange. Do you have any experience with tube amplifiers? If you are looking for the classic tube sound (ie: warm, dynamic, slightly rolled off frequency extremes), you will love the Earmax Pro. What is your source? Note that the Stax will be less forgiving of your source material. If you have a bright sounding CD player I wouldn't recommend the Stax. I am a Stax owner and I love them but the sound isn't for everyone.

Although the Earmax Pro is a nice amp, there are also many other reasonably priced solid state and tube amplifiers that sound great with the Sennheisers.

Nov 8, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the info, I am going to opt for the Earmax Pro/ HD650 system. Maybe a few years down the line i'll treat myself and opt for the Stax. Regarding the Earmax Pro, you can get them for great prices from Germany on Ebay, one just went for a £140.00 today. I am interested in replacing the tubes on the pro, the audiophile club Uk informed me that they would provide me with a complete set of superior military tubes for the Earmax Pro and a German/UK adapter for £51.00 is this a good deal? Futhermore are these tubes difficult to install. I am also pursuing a new source cd Player, I am quite interested in the Naim range, however I don't have the cash for this upgrade yet, I will just have to make do with my old Sony DVD player until, I get the cash.

Cheers for the Info.
Jason

Nov 8, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Dude it would be cheaper for you to get the tubes yourself. I own the earmax pro and feel that changing the tbes would be ahuge benefit. If you have any questions about the EM standard or the EM pro then PM and I can go into more depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back