Earmax Pro (Hope this Post Works)
Aug 2, 2003 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Harty

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to my Sennheiser HD600 headphones plugged directly into the headphone socket on my Sony TA-FA777ES Integrated Amp (List Price £1,500.) I was wondering if I would get better quality sound from my Amp if I bought the Earmax Pro Headphone Amp and connected it to the Pre-Outs on the back of my Amp with good quality Interconnects. I would be very grateful if you could please advise me on this.

Best wishes,

Paul.
600smile.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 7
In one word, YES. The EMP is supposed to be a very good amp for those headphones.

Aug 2, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi Harty....
I will say, if you are listening to your reciever as an AM/FM then that is justefied to hook the output of your integrated amp to any headphone amp, Which means you are using it as a source.
BUT if you are using another external source like CD player or DVD or what ever, my advice is get the integrated amp out of the audio path. As the more electronics you imply in the circuit path, when not needed, the more distortion & noise you introduce.
Good lock.
Ray Samuels

Aug 2, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks SENOR4Q and Ray,

SENOR4Q, I've got my cd player hooked up to my Amp, but my cd player has only one set of analogue outputs, which I connect to my Amp, so the Headphone Amp will need to be connected to the Pre-Outs on my Amplifier, as I also listen to my speakers during the day, and my headphones mostly at night.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Aug 2, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Harty...
Quote:

...the Headphone Amp will need to be connected to the Pre-Outs on my Amplifier...

...that's very bad -- that way you have your receiver's preamp stage in the signal path. You could use the tape out for the amp which should provide a loop through of the source signal, but even better some vampire splitters to hook up the amp directly to the CD player.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back