Earmax anniversary edi. vs Graham Slee Solo
Feb 5, 2008 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rlaxowjd155

Head-Fier
Hi.
I use my HP-2 with Graham Slee Solo, I like it.
But I'm interested in matching with tube amp, esp. Earmax anniversary edi.
Is it better upgrade than matching with my GSS?

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock Grotto Forum - earmax silver headphone amp

WoW! Bunchs of information which I want!
Thank you!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 22
According to the forum's discussion,
Earmax AE or silver edi. is suitable for high impdedence headphones like senneheiser's , not for low impedence grado headphones.
Eventhough HP-2's impedence is unknown, I think HP-2 has quite high impedence not like other grado's headphones
I'd rather trying all tube amp for my HP-2
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 22
I have been interested in the Earnax pro SE for a long time now. Never heard it yet. The strange thing is that it is claimed on the website (Brocksieper) that they are a special design for low impedance headphones.
I made a particular inquiry by e-mail because I want to use it with my JVC DX1000, 40 Ohm) and got the answer that the SE edition ought to deliver more than enough current for them....
Another thing is that I did some investgations on HeadFi and found out that it is actually the most popular amp with PS-1 owners...
Maybe some of them could chime in an tell us if it has to do with the tubes they use?

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 22
It depends on tubes on the Earmax. My Earmax Pro sounds weight better and nicer than Solo, to my ears. And also it depends on headphones. for example, Solo plays a wonderful job with K701 while Earmax Pro is not even a good headamp for it.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been interested in the Earnax pro SE for a long time now. Never heard it yet. The strange thing is that it is claimed on the website (Brocksieper) that they are a special design for low impedance headphones.
I made a particular inquiry by e-mail because I want to use it with my JVC DX1000, 40 Ohm) and got the answer that the SE edition ought to deliver more than enough current for them....
Another thing is that I did some investgations on HeadFi and found out that it is actually the most popular amp with PS-1 owners...
Maybe some of them could chime in an tell us if it has to do with the tubes they use?

I am afraid Earmax Pro would have a hard time with DX1000. Not sure SE, but it must be a better option for the specific headphone.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlaxowjd155 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the forum's discussion,
Earmax AE or silver edi. is suitable for high impdedence headphones like senneheiser's , not for low impedence grado headphones.
Eventhough HP-2's impedence is unknown, I think HP-2 has quite high impedence not like other grado's headphones
I'd rather trying all tube amp for my HP-2
wink.gif

HP1000s are very nice with EMP. I prefer these headphones to RS1, PS1 and GS1000.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 22
Choosing between Gramham Slee and Earmax is like apples and oranges. You must first know what you want, it is not possible to say which is best because they are so different. The Slee is a solid state amplifier that I assume is general purpose and can drive any headphone.

Earmax is a very different amplifier with a low output. Its strength is that it has a very natural and smooth sound that feels true to the music. It is very good for acoustical and vocal music, most jazz and some rock. If you want to play bass heave electronic music loud it is not the amplifier of choice.

I have an Earmax Pro and has mostly used it with HD650 and most agree that this is a good combination, at least if you don't play VERY loud. I don't remember any problems when I used it with Grado RS-1, but maybe I mostly adapted my choice of music to the amplifier and used another one for the bass heavy stuff.

Recently, I connected it and used it with AKG K701 and it sounds very good with this headphone. The Pro model has difficulties driving this headphone that need more power than Grado and it distorts on heavy bass punches. When I listened to classical chamber music etc. there was no problem at all. However, The EMP / K701 sounded so good that I am thinking of upgrading to the Silver edition that will drive the K701 better, in best case without any problems. The SE has more power and it better adapted to low impedance headphones than the Pro and is according to German reseller suitable also for K701.

There is a review of Earmax Anniversary here (Silver and Anniversary are very similar except that Anniversary has NOS tubes and Anniversary is hard to find if not completely sold out).

Earmax Headphone Amp Review

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 22
I love my Earmax SE with my RS-1's. No problems driving them at all.

Currently listening now and no distorted bass here. Mind you I am not up at half way on the volume dial. I am currently at between 9 and 10 o'clock and that is pretty loud as is, and I know I listen more louldy than I really should. I would imagine up at 12 o'clock it is seriously loud !

Got a bit of Bob Marley going as we speak, 11 o'clock and all I hear is a nice tuneful low end, not a hint of distortion.

I would reserve judgement and listen for yourself before ruling out the Earmax based upon the Rock Grotto thread.

I find it works well with my Grado's.

I've got a Solo too and I prefer the RS-1 combined with the Earmax. Senns is a different story however.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anniversary has NOS tubes and Anniversary is hard to find if not completely sold out).
Earmax Headphone Amp Review

I bought used one yesterday.... I'm really looking forward to listen with this beautiful thing!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HP1000s are very nice with EMP. I prefer these headphones to RS1, PS1 and GS1000.

Thanks!!! that's what I want to hear!! I boght EMP AE yesterday!!!!!
I'll picuture up soon!
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The strange thing is that it is claimed on the website (Brocksieper) that they are a special design for low impedance headphones.
they use?

The previous owner of earmax AE told me that this amp did great work with sennheiser hd540 reference with notoriously high impedence, 600ohm!!!
eek.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

The previous owner of earmax AE told me that this amp did great work with sennheiser hd540 reference with notoriously high impedence, 600ohm!!!
eek.gif

I believe so. They play extremely well with my HD600+Equinox (the best headphone to me). I have had other senn's and beyer's headphones which all have great synergy with EMP/AE. Grado is good but not as all around performing as senn and beyer. I replaced the tubes and the power cable to release the magic of these headamps.

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

I bought used one yesterday.... I'm really looking forward to listen with this beautiful thing!!

Thanks!!! that's what I want to hear!! I boght EMP AE yesterday!!!!!
I'll picuture up soon!
biggrin.gif

Congrats! You got one of the best headamps in the world, if not the best the most pleasing headamp.

Feb 13, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! You got one of the best headamps in the world, if not the best the most pleasing headamp.

Sound from HP2 matching with Earmax AE is soooooooooooo GREAT!!!!!!!
Much better than matching with solo for my ear
HP2 has been changed into quite different gorgeous animal!!
0a8b8e07_.jpg

a4e59cc1_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back