Eargasm - w K701, Tell me your amp preferences? (Tubes amp?)
Dec 25, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #31 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For 575$ you can have your very own Yamamoto HA-02 from Venus Hi-Fi as a end of year special. No I am not associated except for being a happy owner of one.

Here is the link:

End-Of-The-Year Clearance, Part V: Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02 Headphone Amplifier - AudioKarma.org Discussion Forums

thread with HA-02 discussions:

Yamamoto Headphone Amplifier Group Purchase - StereoNET Australia

Some additional impressions here:

Mini Meet Impressions - SGHeadphones

Wow, what a steal! The Yamamoto is a great amp!

In terms of amp for the K701, from my various experience I would say this is the order:

1. Single Power Extreme
2. Headamp GS-1 & Yamamoto HA-02 (depends on what kind of sound you like)
3. Heed Canamp
4. Graham Slee Solo Green

However, looking at the overall question, I believe the root of the problem is the source and the headphone. I have went into a lot more details in pm however so I won't repeat it here.

Quote:

I was in love with "Graham Slee 'Green' solo" before, but someone offer me a heed with an offer that I can't refuse. So if I buy a "Green" solo, I would think this as a small margin of upgrade, beside I heard Green solo works better with low impedance headphone such as my Denon D2000, and hardly synergies with K701.

If I remember correctly, Graham uses the HD650 as an reference for making the Solo - and the 650 is a current hungry phone. The 650 sounds better out of the Solo than the GS-1, but the Grado RS-2 (low imp) sounds far better on the GS-1 than on the Solo. The Solo did sound good with the K701, but the GS-1 + K701 is a much better match in the same price range.

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #32 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You give the K701's at least 1500hours; you’re gona to be left with one of the most beautiful presentations you may ever come across.
A FOB K701 has nothing on a well burnt in pair.. NOTHING!

If someone came'a knocking offering me $5000 for my old ~7000+ hour K701’s. I’d slam the door in there face. No lies!

+1 I'd heard that the 701's needed a lot of burn-in time but I didn't really believe it. But the more hours (600 and counting) I'm putting on my 701's the better they're sounding, and I'm hoping that they'll continue to sound even better as I put more hours on them.

alternative 701 tube amp recommendation = I've been running my 701's through a pair of Quicksilver Mini-Mono tube amps (using a DIY adapter) , and I couldn't be happier with the results. It's a great sounding combination, and at 25WPC let's just say that the Mini's have more than enough oomph to drive the power hungry 701's.

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #34 of 84
Thank you very much for your great inputs, I really appreciate it so much.
Especially with tons of advice, that I need to burn my K701 more, and mixed suggestions, whether Recabling my K701 is the first thing to do or the least thing to do later.

While on the other hand,
Yamamoto HA-02 deal, is ringing the bell in my head, but recent thoughts from my friends regarding the trouble to taking care tubes amp, giving me second thought - should i get tubes or not?

Corda Opera and recently suggested.. the new headamp unit from Oritek, is really a hard hit to me. Both has great reputation, and good reviews, and both units has built-in DAC, which is ideal for me for high quality all-in-one solution. Yet some folks I chat with, suggest me to get.

- Corda Opera as SS amp
- Yamamoto as Tubes amp
- OMZ v4 as the Source

This is a great combo that able to plunk me to bankruptcy.
biggrin.gif

So, I still don't want to finish this thread, I would love to see more input from you guys.

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #35 of 84
It's not imaginary, the k701 improves with age and use. Mine is at 700+ hours, and continues to get better. I use it with the Woo3, not a famous combination by any stretch. Even so, I have never heard anything better when it comes to acoustic music, or classical. It is my headphone nirvana for A Love Supreme, or PJ Harvey's White Chalk. Acoustic and electric guitar of any variety is immersive and exciting, and I think would be very hard to improve on. The down side is that the Woo is not 'fast', and gets somewhat lost on driving bass tracks, not an ideal choice for techno or metal. Kinda just shreds out when there are too many heavy bass notes too close together, still listenable to me, but doesn't get near the magic of it's other qualities. The HD600 does a better job at the bass, but at the expense of all the fun, never heard the 650.

I'm curious about the Woo6, and the upcoming Mapletree Ear+ HD Super.

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #36 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While on the other hand,
Yamamoto HA-02 deal, is ringing the bell in my head, but recent thoughts from my friends regarding the trouble to taking care tubes amp, giving me second thought - should i get tubes or not?

This is a great combo that able to plunk me to bankruptcy.
biggrin.gif

So, I still don't want to finish this thread, I would love to see more input from you guys.

The first point the WE408a tube is about the most affordable tube around right now. At about 5-6$ per tube they are a bargain.

On the second paragraph you know what they say about your wallet around here.

Hypothetically, if I were to explore SS amps again I would look at the Graham Slee Solo or the Blue Circle amp reviewed by Skylab. I find but of these very interesting from what I have read.

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #37 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk
Corda Opera was my dream amp, and maybe still...
but have anyone here, ever pair it with K701? does opera still introduce the warmth and close soundstage that offered by it's mini brother, Corda Headsix?

Though my 701s are normally paired with a Cayin, I've tried them with my Opera and this makes for a very nice combo. For my tastes, they 701s sound best with tubes. I liken the Opera to a SS that tube lovers could easily coddle up to and the really does a nice job with the AKGs bass wise. With crossfeed on, spacial presention, a strong suit of the 701s, is just lovely as well.

Cheers,
Garry

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #39 of 84
Virtually, almost none... but a lot of amps below 250 able to drive K701 loud, but the thing is... loud isn't equal as sound quality.

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #40 of 84
You can look at my profile for my quipment and figure out my creds for yourself. A well broken in K701 with stock cable is now one of my headphones of choice.

All other more esoteric suggestions aside, you are going to get no real sonic improvement in your system until you upgrade your source. iPods are merely convenient. Hook the rest of your system to a good dedicated oversampling redbook CD player, a solid SACD player, or a good balanced vinyl rig and you will see what you already have.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #44 of 84
M^3 DIY amp? or Mini^3 ?

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #45 of 84
The bigger one that is maxed out will do fine, M^3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back