Eargasm - w K701, Tell me your amp preferences? (Tubes amp?)
Dec 21, 2007 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

Capunk

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I own stock AKG K701 (100 hr burned in), and I'm planning to recable it with Equinox cable or APS V3 cable, later. I use Heed Canamp (stock/unmodded) to drive K701 - and my source is came from iBasso D1 DAC or iMod photo (Connected via Cryo X mini to RCA cable).

This setup isn't really satisfy my ear...
and I thought this is a vast upgrade from my old setup (D1 -> D2000), either I'm not used to K701, or I prefer sounds that came from my little Yuin PK-1.
I found a 'slight' enhancement over the old setup, which is
- slightly bigger soundstage
- deeper bass extension, just a bit
- High become much refined, non fatiguing

So IF I want to sell most of the rigs (D1, D2000, Heed, Cable, etc), and leaving K701 as the primary & only headphone. Which amp should I go next? (Budget $1K)

This is something that I wanted from the new setup:
- Goosebumps ; The first time I listen from my 1st setup, I had a goosebump
- Soft, Sweet & Melancholic - I prefer emotional setup that revolve your listening mood
- Deeper & refined bass extension : I'm a basshead, but I prefer refined bass than massive 'thumps' on your head.
- Detailed? As long I can recognize instruments within the music, that's fine
- Forward soundstaging, I would love to listen to a setup, where you positioned close & front near the stage.

I encounter some of the things I mentioned above in some setup, from previous Head-Fi Sydney meet.

- Marantz CDP vintage w 'Green' Solo 2008 w D2000/W1000
- Cowon D2 w Corda Headsix w Yuin PK-1/UM2

I know I might need to think, the better 'source' as well, but I have a thing in my mind, which is "Mhdt labs Paradisea+".

So, help me decide the next step...
I really wanted to achieve 'eargasm' level, where I would satisfy with my setup, so I can live happily ever after
smily_headphones1.gif

UPDATES!!!: I've PURCHASE OMZ v4 (DAC/AMP) but I'm leaning toward to TUBES AMP
give me your suggestions, it starts on this page.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ear...07/index7.html

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 84
The Moon Audio Silver Dragon V2, or the RAL Cryo-silver Reference, are two more viable options alongside the Equinoxe.

I've heard the K701 w/both the RAL and the Moon recable, and the improvement over stock sound that these cables bring seems to answer to what you are describing/lookng for.

I've never heard the Equinoxe, but I know of some who have compared it and the RAL with HD6xx headphones and came cleanly out in favor of the RAL. In addition, the wait time for brand new Equinoxe cable is horrendous/bordering on the inexcusable (from a business point-of-view).

I currently have the RAL/K701 and enjoy them more every day. Be forewarned that upgrading the K701 cable will tend to make these cans even more revealing of anything upstream, though.

Never heard the NPX-33, but have been intrigued with the prospect of trying one out. For solid state amps, I've always liked the Meiers (Headfive, HA-2, Prehead), but have not had the opportunity to hear the Opera yet. That said, I definitely prefer an amp with tubes. Right now I use the Bada PH-12 3x 6SN7/MosFET hybrid, and its synergy w/the K701 is superlative. Tubes definitely do more justice to the K701, IMHE. I also had good success with the Darkvoice 336i (1x 6SN7/1x 6AS7 all tube) and the G&W T2.6F (2x 6922/MosFET hybrid). These aforenamed Chinese head amps are affordable and perform way beyond their price points.

Keep us posted in any event!

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hggnore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newbie here - Is the AKG K701 worth it ampless?

Umm... No
Even I tried to drive it with my CMOY amp, iBasso D1 and XIN SMIII v6, it's really hard to push out it's potential.

Can't imagine to listen from it, straight from ipod.

Dec 21, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 84
I have been a happy camper with the singlepower extreme platinum & 701s. You can get an extreme new for $1k. A used one with a few tubes and ECC1 adapter could be had for that.

Ampless would depend on the player. Most sources would not be able to make them perform. Most amps don't do good with them. Viva la tube!

Good luck with your search.

Dec 21, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 84
maybe u need another cans to feel that goosebumps, like... HD650
come, join to the other side
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Moon Audio Silver Dragon V2, or the RAL Cryo-silver Reference, are two more viable options alongside the Equinoxe.

I've heard the K701 w/both the RAL and the Moon recable, and the improvement over stock sound that these cables bring seems to answer to what you are describing/lookng for.

I've never heard the Equinoxe, but I know of some who have compared it and the RAL with HD6xx headphones and came cleanly out in favor of the RAL. In addition, the wait time for brand new Equinoxe cable is horrendous/bordering on the inexcusable (from a business point-of-view).

I currently have the RAL/K701 and enjoy them more every day. Be forewarned that upgrading the K701 cable will tend to make these cans even more revealing of anything upstream, though.

Never heard the NPX-33, but have been intrigued with the prospect of trying one out. For solid state amps, I've always liked the Meiers (Headfive, HA-2, Prehead), but have not had the opportunity to hear the Opera yet. That said, I definitely prefer an amp with tubes. Right now I use the Bada PH-12 3x 6SN7/MosFET hybrid, and its synergy w/the K701 is superlative. Tubes definitely do more justice to the K701, IMHE.

Keep us posted in any event!

Thanks you for your input,
ATM, Equinox present the most 'value' option for K701 (due to $50 discount), but I heard alot about Revelation Audio Labs - K701 recable, but still can't imagine how much for 5 ft SE cable, and do I need to send my K701 to them or I just wait for the cable, then DIY it by myself? (plus how long actually for the wait time?)

Back to the topic,
I was longing to try out Corda Opera, but sadly no one near me has it or ever tried it. I tried the mini Headsix, and I love it... so I can't wonder how the big brother would perform, especially it has built in high quality DAC.
While NPX-33 purely influenced by 6moons review, and might a future prospect if I wanted to assemble balanced setup.

On the other side, I have no clue about higher-end tubes amp.
All I can think of, is only Darkvoice 337... but somehow I dislike the younger cousin DV 336i, so I just kept them in my note.
The rest only singlepower ppx3 or mpx3 and earmax pro, which I heard, good for HD650, dunno how it synergize with K701.
I would love to have tubes amp, but I just don't know, which one?

Dec 21, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 84
1st of all- The cans are not burn in and sound nothing like they will after 400 hours......then they are awsome.

2nd- When you recable with RAL or moon make sure it is balanced.

3rd- get a balanced amp and what you get depends on how much money you want to spend.

Dec 21, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 84
I heard balanced rigs are great, but definitely not for my wallet.
And for $1K budget, I probably won't get decent setup.
as in:

- Recabling my K701 to Balanced ($250 - $350)
- Balanced amp ($???, NPX-33 cost $1.1K, HR balanced $1.2 (inc DAC), GSX $1.3K)
- Balanced source (DAC1 usb $$$, CA 840C $1.2K)

at the end, it might double or triple my original budget...
yet I don't want to invest in something that much, without any prior knowledge or even experience it by my self.

Dec 21, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard balanced rigs are great, but definitely not for my wallet.
And for $1K budget, I probably won't get decent setup.
as in:

- Recabling my K701 to Balanced ($250 - $350)
- Balanced amp ($???, NPX-33 cost $1.1K, HR balanced $1.2 (inc DAC), GSX $1.3K)
- Balanced source (DAC1 usb $$$, CA 840C $1.2K)

at the end, it might double or triple my original budget...
yet I don't want to invest in something that much, without any prior knowledge or even experience it by my self.

Understandable. THen I recomend being patient and saving your money while you enjoy your current setup, which isn't bad at all. Let those phones burn in for another 300hours it makes a huge difference with the akg's.

Dec 21, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 84
Heed Canamp.

People here said, they match with K701.
I found they alright, doesn't really have "wow" factor.
Quite musical, and because K701 1st amp is Heed ; I can't really tell the difference between other amps. They just alright... I might need to burned in my K701 more.

Dec 21, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heed Canamp.
They just alright... I might need to burned in my K701 more.

*Might* No You *DO* need to burn them in for another 200-300 hours. It makes a world of difference with these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back