Earbuds for gaming help
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Au13

New Head-Fier
First time poster here, I'm looking to find an upgrade to the current earbuds I use while gaming. They're so many out there and i definitely could use some help finding earbuds that will work for me. First off, a couple of things I'd like to say to help get me started.

I'm looking for earbuds, not headphones or IEMs. My ears get crazy hot when playing with headphones and I start to get sick, I've tried both open and closed back headphones and even ones with more breathable pads.
Second on my unlucky list. It feels like I have really small ear canals and a majority of IEMs hurt.(For reference I have a pair of Tin T2s and even the smallest pair of included tips hurt after awhile. The blue foams I can't even get to stay in.) I'm not looking to get custom molds either so I've stuck with classic buds, right now I'm using a pair of Edifier H180s running through an audio interface on my PC for the last 2 years and some Ve monk plus buds. The monks sound good for things like Jazz but once I launch a game its like mud shooting out of a ketchup bottle for me so the H180s have been my main pair.

I'm looking to upgrade. The H180s sound great to me but I still have trouble hearing things like footsteps until they get too near to be worth hearing. I want to bump up the quality of sound with buds that cost more than $10. I've got a price range anywhere from 50-$100 or even more if it'll help me. I'm mainly looking for better sound and a comfortable fit, H180s fit well and I find them comfy. I use to have some bell shaped Philips that were awesome with comfort too, the monks are a little snug for me but the fits are always so finicky. Any helpful input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Side note: can someone give me a rundown of foam covers for earbuds? I don't use any with mine and I know it can help change the fit, isolation and sound all together. Is there any recommended brand or place I can get some to try with the ones I have? I'm guessing that along with an upgrade these could help me out.

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 3
Lots of info on various buds on the earbuds round up thread.

Not sure what sound signature would be best for gaming, but I condensed my thoughts on foams here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-15581039

If a neutral bud with very good (iem like) bass response works and a MX size (15.4mm driver) buds fit you well, I'd recommend the ST-10 if you can find one or possibly the newer ST-10S (with a slightly different signature, I've not heard it though).

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 3
Lots of info on various buds on the earbuds round up thread.

Not sure what sound signature would be best for gaming, but I condensed my thoughts on foams here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-15581039

If a neutral bud with very good (iem like) bass response works and a MX size (15.4mm driver) buds fit you well, I'd recommend the ST-10 if you can find one or possibly the newer ST-10S (with a slightly different signature, I've not heard it though).
Thank you! This helps a ton, especially with the foams

Users who are viewing this thread

Back