Earbud target curve tests
Dec 21, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #211 of 318
Wavelet support only android 9 and up. I have LG G7 and Android 8 so UAPP works fine and U can purchase Parametric EQ for the same player by ToneBoosters.
For streaming services (Tidal, Deezer, Spotify, etc) I use the free app RE Equilizer.
Shame that wavelet is only android 9 is up :< I didn't know about RE Equalizer so I'll be giving that a shot. Have you also tried the MorphIt add-on?

I miss my lg v20 dearly. The build was good and the external batteries were awesome. I'm actually thinking of dumping my Sony nw a105 and picking up the lg v20 again. Wavelet implements the eq files better than peace/apo does and is truly system-wide.. Some users are saying there are issues with UAPP working with wavelet if direct mode is on.
Replaceable battery is the main reason I got one! Plus they're easy to find below $100 on eBay. Though definitely wouldn't buy a tmobile or sprint version (unlike me), so you can install Lineage OS.

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #212 of 318
I miss my lg v20 dearly. The build was good and the external batteries were awesome. I'm actually thinking of dumping my Sony nw a105 and picking up the lg v20 again. Wavelet implements the eq files better than peace/apo does and is truly system-wide.. Some users are saying there are issues with UAPP working with wavelet if direct mode is on.
Yup. LG V20 is a really great-looking phone and the last model with a removable battery. Also, the "REAL" second screen, I love this feature. On the newer model, I don't use this feature because it's superfluous and I don't like its implementation. Is V20 the first LG phone with QuadDAC? And G7 is the first from "G" series?
I would like LG to have separate music, photography, and business line, like Sony once had.
They could pay more attention to each segment separately, and the phones themselves don't have to be expensive due to the crowded options of "AIO" devices that no one use.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #213 of 318
Yup. LG V20 is a really great-looking phone and the last model with a removable battery. Also, the "REAL" second screen, I love this feature. On the newer model, I don't use this feature because it's superfluous and I don't like its implementation. Is V20 the first LG phone with QuadDAC? And G7 is the first from "G" series?
I would like LG to have separate music, photography, and business line, like Sony once had.
They could pay more attention to each segment separately, and the phones themselves don't have to be expensive due to the crowded options of "AIO" devices that no one use.
I was so intrigued by the second screen when it came out. Something just for media controls! From what I read, the new phones just use a strip of the top screen? So in terms of past phones, V20-V40 had quad dacs but the V10 was the only one with a dedicated amp (rest use a Qualcomm amp or something). Not sure about the G series. I'm just shocked at how cheap they are used vs even the cheapest Chinese DAPs. Plus I've been burned by Fiio and Shanling lack of updates/terrible UI one too many times.

Sigh that'd be nice. Or one super phone WITH updates like the Xperia 1 II <3

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #214 of 318
Shame that wavelet is only android 9 is up :< I didn't know about RE Equalizer so I'll be giving that a shot. Have you also tried the MorphIt add-on?
I tried Morphit as VST plugin with APO. Is ok but for commercial headphones and some IEM's.
But all of that and more you already have here and the list is constantly growing, and everything is free.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
Jaakko Pasanen covers headphones and IEM's and mister Sam_L covers earbuds like a "BOSS" :wink:

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #215 of 318
I was so intrigued by the second screen when it came out. Something just for media controls! From what I read, the new phones just use a strip of the top screen? So in terms of past phones, V20-V40 had quad dacs but the V10 was the only one with a dedicated amp (rest use a Qualcomm amp or something). Not sure about the G series. I'm just shocked at how cheap they are used vs even the cheapest Chinese DAPs. Plus I've been burned by Fiio and Shanling lack of updates/terrible UI one too many times.

Sigh that'd be nice. Or one super phone WITH updates like the Xperia 1 II <3
The lack of updates is why I hate LG. Only the Korean market and T-Mobile receive new updates, the rest, no.
Sony has better software for audio adjustments than LG. I still have an old Sony Xperia V which is not too loud but the clarity of the sound is amazing.
It’s pretty battered and I was planning to replace its battery but Android 4 is the biggest problem because it doesn’t support new apps.
You are right about Sony X1 II is a "superphone" but not for everyone. For video and audio with all that options for professional use ... I think there is no competition

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #216 of 318
The lack of updates is why I hate LG. Only the Korean market and T-Mobile receive new updates, the rest, no.
Sony has better software for audio adjustments than LG. I still have an old Sony Xperia V which is not too loud but the clarity of the sound is amazing.
It’s pretty battered and I was planning to replace its battery but Android 4 is the biggest problem because it doesn’t support new apps.
You are right about Sony X1 II is a "superphone" but not for everyone. For video and audio with all that options for professional use ... I think there is no competition
Its a real shame. Since otherwise the hardware is quite nice. At least the prices drop fast.

I do remember my Xperia Z2 sounding pretty great when I had it. Though I also was running Viper4Android on it with power amp. Did you look on XDA to see if anyone forked Lineage OS to it?

The cost is yikes for the average consumer. Especially when it have a flashy design or novel features like a Galaxy phone. It really does seem to check all the boxes otherwise.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #217 of 318
Its a real shame. Since otherwise the hardware is quite nice. At least the prices drop fast.

I do remember my Xperia Z2 sounding pretty great when I had it. Though I also was running Viper4Android on it with power amp. Did you look on XDA to see if anyone forked Lineage OS to it?

The cost is yikes for the average consumer. Especially when it have a flashy design or novel features like a Galaxy phone. It really does seem to check all the boxes otherwise.
Sony is one of those companies that doesn't lower prices so fast. After all, it's not in their interest to profit from the phone, but from the PS console, so only a certain group of people buy Sony smartphones aka. "SUPERPHONES" :wink: . Their products are of high quality and they are a well-known brand, so we cannot dispute the price.
I don't like Samsung phones because of their flashy design. This year they have released a great line of budget phones at a very affordable price and their battery capacity is huge (5000-7000mAh) and also a big screen. The processor is not in the flagship range but if you mostly just listen to music, is fine.
This is the perfect solution if you use DAC/Amp dongles or portable devices without an internal battery.
Again you will have better speed then DAP devices with outdated android

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #218 of 318
Sony is one of those companies that doesn't lower prices so fast. After all, it's not in their interest to profit from the phone, but from the PS console, so only a certain group of people buy Sony smartphones aka. "SUPERPHONES" :wink: . Their products are of high quality and they are a well-known brand, so we cannot dispute the price.
I don't like Samsung phones because of their flashy design. This year they have released a great line of budget phones at a very affordable price and their battery capacity is huge (5000-7000mAh) and also a big screen. The processor is not in the flagship range but if you mostly just listen to music, is fine.
This is the perfect solution if you use DAC/Amp dongles or portable devices without an internal battery.
Again you will have better speed then DAP devices with outdated android
Oh how I wish Sony phones were cheaper. Though I get how they dont want to diminish their brands perceived value. I like the Samsung whacky design and colors! I didn't know about they updated their budget phone lineup but wow they look competitive especially at the price. It is a shame they don't use main stream SoCs (much less likely to get community dev support) but assuming Samsung sticks to committing to updates it seems like a great deal if you want a new phone.

Seriously for the price of these flagship DAPs, you could buy a budget android phone with external dac/amp. Then toss out the phone when it gets old and buy another and still come out ahead. Its ridiculous! Though I guess you miss out on a all in one solution and dont get expandable storage. Hence why I'm sticking to cheap LG phones for microSD support :sweat_smile: (also cause its not my daily driver phone).

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #219 of 318
Thank you for sharing your observations. You're doing a better job than I did in describing how deficient the default tuning is. I'm at an age where I don't hear or perceive much in the brilliance range and sadly, it takes alot for sibilance to come through where I'd be annoyed. But what you're describing I can corroborate at an intuitive level when I hear the default tuning on the Datura Pro's (DP).

I do listen to a ton of classical music and fully agree that violins sound wonky at default tuning. The upper registers of the piano also comes across as harsh and shrill. But one of the biggest failures was the overall congestion and constricted soundstage. It was terrible.

I've not found a good solution for system wide PEQ for my macbook. The main problem being saving 40+ profiles. I tried backhole and the older soundflower options but gave up in the end because of the hassle of clicking on a number of things when switching back and forth between sources. When I am on my macbook, I'll be using 10 band GEQ settings for now. Much easier implementation for me.

For anyone else stumbling on this thread, reading about the Datura Pro's, keep in mind that these are $26 buds and when we say that the change is "extreme", it is simply shocking how much improvement there is. They have to be heard to be believed. $26, wow.

10 band EQ settings: Bass version
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 31 Hz Gain 6.9 dB Q 1.41
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 62 Hz Gain 4.1 dB Q 1.41
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 125 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 1.41
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 1.41
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 500 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 1.41
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain 1.7 dB Q 1.41
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 4.7 dB Q 1.41
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 0.2 dB Q 1.41
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 4.7 dB Q 1.41
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 16000 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 1.41

Neutral version:
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 31 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 1.41
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 62 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 1.41
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 125 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 1.41
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 1.41
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 500 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 1.41
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain 1.7 dB Q 1.41
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 4.8 dB Q 1.41
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 0.0 dB Q 1.41
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 4.8 dB Q 1.41
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 16000 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 1.41
I've been trying these EQ settings roughly eyeballed dialed in directly into Apple Music and on my DAP. Higher pitched female vocals sound a bit thin to me vs the parametric EQ. I'm not quite sure if its a issue from the EQ itself or just my ears adjusting after the past week or so :sweat_smile:

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #220 of 318
Wavelet is unreal. Even crappy Chi-fi Bluetooth buds like the qcy t10 and boya BY-AP4 are salvagable. I mean, you have to tell it they're blessing 2's and BLON B20 respectively, but they sound a million times better. I think there's actually a preset for the Boltune BT-BH024!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #221 of 318
Wavelet is unreal. Even crappy Chi-fi Bluetooth buds like the qcy t10 and boya BY-AP4 are salvagable. I mean, you have to tell it they're blessing 2's and BLON B20 respectively, but they sound a million times better. I think there's actually a preset for the Boltune BT-BH024!
Yes, fully agree. Now we just need to get the rest of the audiophile community to buy into it. :)

I really believe onboard dsp is the future, which is one of the reasons I'm cheering for the Apple headphones... not that I would actually buy a pair (many other models I'd rather spend the money on), but hopefully people will begin to open up to the possibilities of shaping the FR for the optimal listening experience.

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #222 of 318
Yes, fully agree. Now we just need to get the rest of the audiophile community to buy into it. :)

I really believe onboard dsp is the future, which is one of the reasons I'm cheering for the Apple headphones... not that I would actually buy a pair (many other models I'd rather spend the money on), but hopefully people will begin to open up to the possibilities of shaping the FR for the optimal listening experience.
With Momentum Wireless also you can adjust EQ on mobile app and settings will be stored inside earphones
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/momentumwireless

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #223 of 318
version 1.5 bass edition
Yincrow X6

What the wavelet file is doing:

I'm running it at 70%

Giving it a twirl. I didn't think they needed improving. But wow, love this. Bass retained, but cleaned up. Highs brought to life. Nice work!

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #225 of 318
R4YS 300 Ohm
v1.5 bass and neutral targets

In its stock configuration, sub 1khz graphs identically to the monk plus. Thankfully the upper mids and treble regions look much better.

r4ys 300ohm.jpg

If you're using peace/apo:
  • start with a pre-amp value of -7dB and adjust as needed to avoid clipping.
  • you might also want to press "compress" once or twice.

On wavelet, I'm using this file at 75% eq strength.

Screenshot_20210112-084550.png

Attachments

• r4ys_300ohm FixedBandEQ v1.5 bass.txt
    467 bytes · Views: 0
  • r4ys_300ohm PEQ v1.5 bass.txt
    471 bytes · Views: 0
  • r4ys_300ohm wavelet v1.5 bass.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • r4ys_300ohm FixedBandEQ v1.5 neutral.txt
    467 bytes · Views: 0
  • r4ys_300ohm PEQ v1.5 neutral.txt
    469 bytes · Views: 0