Earbud? IEM? Forget it??
Apr 7, 2005 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kiwirugby

Headphoneus Supremus
I would appreciate some counsel...please.

I have been toying with the idea of an earbud or IEM, but I fear my ears may not be up to it! I currently have a Sennheiser MX400 with RS foamies, and getting these things in my ear, let alone getting them to stay there, is a challenge. So I am wondering, if I am blest with small ear canals, or whatever they may be called, would ear buds or IEMs be smaller and therfore a better fit? Easier to fit? Or am I stuck with my KSC 75s?

I listen to primarily classical music and jazz, and use a Sony pcdp (D-EJ2000, 985, 915) with a Xin SuperMacro (4 switches).

Any thoughts would be most welcome....espceially for the ear canal challenged!!

(I'm assuming that stretching the canals, like one would shoes, is out of the question!!!)

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 4
The next step up in sizing and comfort are the semi-canalphones (at around 30 bucks the sony ex71, at around 20 bucks the panasonic rp-hje50, at 50 dollars the sharp md33-s) they don't go as deeply as many true canals but they do cut out a portion of the sound and they havesome of the most comfortable and sizable tips you will find outside of custom molded 500 dollar canalphones.

Apr 7, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 4
earbuds and IEMs function completely differently from one another. IEM goes deep inside your ear canal, while an earbud simply hangs off the the outside of the ear.

i can't wear earbuds, they are uncomfortable, irritating and always fall out. IEMs, on the other hand (specifically ety er4p), i find very comfy... i forget they're in after awhile. they do, however, require some getting used to.

Apr 8, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 4
My ER6i's stay in just like ER4's would, but with one exception-that nub of cartilege(I don't know if I spelled that right) is where the ends of each earpiece rests when inserted. I have to press in that cartilege to get a firm enough grip to remove my canalphones, due in part to the polished plastic not yielding a decent grip like ER4's do.
But does that impede my
etysmile.gif
? Hell no!
Keep on rawking,
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back