Ear touching inside of headphone?
Aug 15, 2008 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jaxxxon

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, been lurking on these boards for a week or so, and I had a question.
Does anyone elses ears touch or rub the inside plastic part of their headphones? I have a pair of ATH-AD700s and this problem is pretty apparent. Previous pair of headphones was a set of HD555s, and I had the same problem. Always my right ear too, my left one is always completely fine for some reason.
Does anyone know any headphones that have deep cans on them? Do you think I should try a different set of pads from somewhere? I don't know what kinds would fit.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 21
I have exactly the same problem with ATH-AD900s, also my right ear and it's pretty uncomfortable during long sessions, which is a letdown on otherwise excellent headphones that without this problem would also be extremely comfortable.

Unlike the above poster, I'm interested in sollutions that don't involve me buying another set of cans, I quite like these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 21
I have the same issue, with one small part of my right ear as well....isnt it strange lol everyone the right ear.

A solution? possibly open up the earpad and stuff it with something to make it deeper.

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 21
No such problem here.
Regardless if I use the SR-007, 4070, SR-404 or K1000...

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 21
this is strange...i have HD205 which have very little inner space as they are Supra aural..but even then my ears dont touch.

Have u guys tried to re-position the sponge sheet covering the driver? ..err what do u technically call it?

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by larry.said /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happens with my K701s but not my HD650s

Interesting. My ears are unscathed with my K701, which gives me a fairly large soundstage as a result. The only phones where this was a real problem for me was the W5000; I had to stuff padding into the earpads to give it extra space.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 21
Same problem with my HD555 and its on my right ear too. No joke, it feels like my right ear is bigger than the left. It only happens sometimes though, which is weird.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 21
The only phones I've had this problem with were Grado SR80... At first they were ok, but it didn't take long to notice my ears touching the insides of the phones... Grados aren't all that comfy - that's why AKGs, Beyers and Denons are my choices.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 21
I have no problems, but I seem to have smallish ears. Everyone who has tried my 595s (admittedly, only 3 others) have had problems with touching. That's a pretty well publicized 595 issue (if you can call it that), so I assume it holds for the 555s as well due to the angle of the driver.

No similar problems on the 650s from what I can gather.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by di_andrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have exactly the same problem with ATH-AD900s

x2. Fortunately I've no need for those anymore.
biggrin.gif

Wasnt a big problem for me, though.

You might want to try the plastic-tube-mod. I tried stuffing the pads with plastic foam and the sound changed for the worse so it wasnt worth it.

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 21
I tried that, yepyep, and they sounded like they were almost searing my ears.
frown.gif

Does anyone know what other earpads can be used on the AD700? If not, I guess I can live with the minor soreness until I find a pair that works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back