Ear+ Purist HD or PPX3 ?
May 3, 2008 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iamitman

100+ Head-Fier
Which amp you prefer to my HF-1?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 11
I have not heard the Ear+ Purist, but many seem to like it with Grados. Search for threads on that - you should find plenty to read.

I owned a PPX3 for about a year and still have the HF-1. They make a great combination and I really enjoyed the HF-1 on the PPX3. It was on the warmer side, but still had plenty of impact and detail. One nice thing about the PPX3 is that you can swap between the 6CG7 and the 6GU7 and get two different presentations from the same amp. I would check to see if any used ones are about - you can save a lot.

May 3, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the Ear+ Purist, but many seem to like it with Grados. Search for threads on that - you should find plenty to read.

I owned a PPX3 for about a year and still have the HF-1. They make a great combination and I really enjoyed the HF-1 on the PPX3. It was on the warmer side, but still had plenty of impact and detail. One nice thing about the PPX3 is that you can swap between the 6CG7 and the 6GU7 and get two different presentations from the same amp. I would check to see if any used ones are about - you can save a lot.

I have owned both of these amps and I prefer the PPX3. I am using a woodied MS1 with the amp currently and I am very impressed with the sound using the 6GU7 tubes.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

May 4, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 11
I had/have both and I would recommend the PPX3 for your HF-1. I spend a good time with both amps and had the HF-1s at the same time as well. I did like the PPX3 more.

May 4, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned both of these amps and I prefer the PPX3. I am using a woodied MS1 with the amp currently and I am very impressed with the sound using the 6GU7 tubes.

IMG_0164.jpg

Hey sacd lover those MS1s look great. I'm gonna get my MS1s woodied soon too
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey sacd lover those MS1s look great. I'm gonna get my MS1s woodied soon too
smily_headphones1.gif

The woodied MS1's are a great buy .... right up there with the Senn 580 .... well above if you prefer the Grado sound. I have been very pleased with mine.
icon10.gif

May 4, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The woodied MS1's are a great buy .... right up there with the Senn 580 .... well above if you prefer the Grado sound. I have been very pleased with mine.
icon10.gif

Thanks sacd lover. Can't wait to get them in. I did enjoy the Senn 580 as well. I'm actually getting a woodied SR225 as well. Have a good one
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 11
I guess there has to be a weird one in every group!
rolleyes.gif
So in this one it will be me.
eek.gif
wink.gif
I prefer the Ear + Purist HD!

I find the bass has more impact and there is a certain amount of "sweetnes" and "roundness" to its presentation that the PPX lacks. Sadly none of us can truly answer, only you with your ears, music, and the rest of the gear can make that call. Good luck.

May 4, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 11
Why don't you try your friends' amp first? I think now there's quite many people in Thailand own great headphone gears, and most of them may live in Bangkok. so it's easy to ask them for trying it out.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back