Ear Plugs
Jul 29, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim
I know a lot of percussionists who lose music, in fact, a few people owe me parts that I have given them... Oh, and in many pieces, there are timpani pitch changes in the middle of the piece, so even if you tune in the beginning, it may not be what you will need later. Also, there are sometimes small adjustments that need to be made, just like the strings and brass tune to each other, the timpani needs to tune to them.

-A

I felt bad for the percussion section when they took too long to get setup. You know, some peices just have lots of stuff going on in them and it takes time. The director would get impatient, and call them the drum section - to which each drummer would give looks of death.

Well, if you have to tune during a song - there's just no way you could wear earplugs and really hear it I wouldn't think. I don't envy having to do that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

I forgot to mention in my first post that I need these for performing music. So, would the er-20's be good enough to wear while tuning a timpani etc.?

-A

i'm a musician also (a horn player) and i notice no pitch alteration with these plugs in. all they do is provide a db attenuation. it's an excellently cheap choice for a performing musician.

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcans
i'm a musician also (a horn player) and i notice no pitch alteration with these plugs in. all they do is provide a db attenuation. it's an excellently cheap choice for a performing musician.

I went to rock concerts with ER20 and I did notice a higher attenuation of highs as compared to the rest of the audible spectrum.

Jul 29, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Anybody here have high end ear-plugs? I'm really considering buying some. I'm thinking about buying these http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx. Anybody have any experience? Thanks.

-A

They only have 10 - 15 dB of attenuation. My cheapies have about 30. What a jip! I never leave without mine, and sometimes I wish for more attenuation than even they give.

Laz

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
I went to rock concerts with ER20 and I did notice a higher attenuation of highs as compared to the rest of the audible spectrum.

thanks. i guess i never really "critiqued" or really put these plugs to the the test with strong fidelity concerns. i believe that they might not be 100% across the frequency spectrum. i am still impressed with these plugs for their price and i haven't found any that are even close for the price (if someone knows of a pair please let me know-- as i would like to try them out).

fyi--- a lot of the time i don't even use these to seal my ears completely-- in other words, i like to put them in my ears half way/quarter way (if the setting isn't to loud) so i can hear a bit more of what's going on-- without attenuation. i have no idea what the exact attenutation is with them not completely in but i know it's better than nothing at all..

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #25 of 29
Back from a Rolling Stones concert. I tried once more the ER20 (I was very close to the stage and it was LOUD!!!)... I can confirm that the advertising with "equal attenuation for all frequencies" is a joke. The highs just disappear if the seal is obtained and are still strongly attenuated if I fiddle with the earplugs in order to get a convenient compromise "sound level reduced / sound still good".

The ER20 muffles the sound less than an ordinary foam earplug, but the claim that it decreases linearly the sound level is simply untrue.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #26 of 29
I just purchased a pair of ER-20's today. Im gonna be using them when my band practices mostly. The cymbals are a real killer for my ears. Ive just been more and more concerned with preserving my hearing because I love listening to headphones so much. Im not really super concerned with sound quality though. I chose these because they were recommended here and because they dont completely cut you off from the world.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #27 of 29
K those ER's are def great, my partner and I both had them. we both lost one of the pair at one point or another.  Depending on what you want and how much you need to block out, but i discovered silicon earplugs by mack's, i think their company is McKeon.  check these out: http://www.macksearplugs.com/products/Pillow-Soft-Earplugs-2-pair-white and i even bought some in beige so they don't stand out too much, and when i am done i can throw them away,  they have a where to buy section but i get mine from CVS next door. I also have the hear plugs: http://www.macksearplugs.com/products/hear-plugs-earplugs made specially to rock out or when i head out to Burning man fest, you can hear but without the damaging noise... good luck! - T

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #28 of 29
K those ER's are def great, my partner and I both had them. we both lost one of the pair at one point or another.  Depending on what you want and how much you need to block out, but i discovered silicon earplugs by mack's, i think their company is McKeon.  check these out: http://www.macksearplugs.com/products/Pillow-Soft-Earplugs-2-pair-white and i even bought some in beige so they don't stand out too much, and when i am done i can throw them away,  they have a where to buy section but i get mine from CVS next door. I also have the hear plugs: http://www.macksearplugs.com/products/hear-plugs-earplugs made specially to rock out or when i head out to Burning man fest, you can hear but without the damaging noise... good luck! - T

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #29 of 29
I now have my second pair of Musician's Earplugs from ER and I think they are the best thing that I ever bought for my ears. I don't leave the house without them in my pocket and wear them whenever it's loud(er). Might get you some strange looks from others but I think not having that annoying beeping in your ears after a concert or a band rehearsal is just worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back