Ear Plugs
Jul 27, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 29
While I don't have any experience with earplugs that high-end, I've been using the Etymotic attenuators that Headroom carries for the past couple of months.

http://www.headphone.com/products/ac...ttenuators.php

They're great. To me it seems like they attenuate noise very linearlly -- I always wear them when I go to the movies (they crank the volume so high, it's so stupid), and when I'm in my friend's car and they're blaring their bass-heavy hip-hop on their "big ol' subs (tm)". All of the sounds retain their sonic value, just attenuated.

I'm sure the ones you linked are probably just a little better at retaining the sonic quality. It also looks like they attenuate more -- the ones that I have are only rated for 10dB, I think. Plus, they're only $10 so you really can't go wrong.

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 29
Do a search for "Etymotic ER-20", it's been discussed alot here and it's very popular.

I carry mine wherever I go.

Given the price difference, I'd rather buy a whole bunch of ER-20's and have spares in case I misplace one, or those damned underpants gnomes steal something again.

-Ed

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 29
i love the underpants gnomes' theme song

anyways, about the plugs, i'm thinking about getting a pair myself for band, both concert and marching. my director likes to put los altos infront of trombones and trumpets.

they could also come in handy for concert going and other loud antics of mine

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 29
Yeah, try the ER-20's first to get used to using the high-fi earplugs, then graduate to custom molds. I probably have five pairs of ER-20's at this point, and they're great!

Jul 28, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 29
i rec the er-20's also. i've had mine for about a year and use them often. they're cheap and a lot better than other non- custom plugs...

Jul 28, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 29
I forgot to mention in my first post that I need these for performing music. So, would the er-20's be good enough to wear while tuning a timpani etc.?

-A

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim
I forgot to mention in my first post that I need these for performing music. So, would the er-20's be good enough to wear while tuning a timpani etc.?

-A

Sound fidelity or total sound blocked?

-Ed

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

sound fidelity

-A

Well, I can't say for sure how well it performs right next to a Timpani, but using them in a small concert hall, the ER-20's roll the high frequency off the most, but it is far flatter a frequency curve overall than normal earplugs. I did not have difficulty making out the timpani or other percussions for that matter.

Seriously, just buy a pair or two of ER-20's and try them out before dropping a Benjamin+ on custom ones. Even if you are not totally satisfied with their fidelity, they will be awesome back ups and for carrying around everywhere you go, for say, use in a loud club, restaurant, movie theater, etc.

-Ed

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
i love the underpants gnomes' theme song

anyways, about the plugs, i'm thinking about getting a pair myself for band, both concert and marching. my director likes to put los altos infront of trombones and trumpets.

they could also come in handy for concert going and other loud antics of mine

Oh that's nothing, our director put the clarinets in score order directly in front of the freakin' drumline!
basshead.gif
I actually had my hearing tested once in the music program at university, and luckily I didn't sufferr damage, but I count myself as very lucky that I didn't.

In reality though, wouldn't you have time to take the plug out quickly to tune, and jam it back home before the downbeat?

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Oh that's nothing, our director put the clarinets in score order directly in front of the freakin' drumline!
basshead.gif
I actually had my hearing tested once in the music program at university, and luckily I didn't sufferr damage, but I count myself as very lucky that I didn't.

In reality though, wouldn't you have time to take the plug out quickly to tune, and jam it back home before the downbeat?

Sometimes I would have time to take them out, but other times I am tuning with one foot and playing something else, it just depends on the part. I'm also thinking that 20db might be too much sound blocked sometimes. I guess I'll get some and try them out and just go from there. Thanks for all the help.

-A

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Sometimes I would have time to take them out, but other times I am tuning with one foot and playing something else, it just depends on the part. I'm also thinking that 20db might be too much sound blocked sometimes. I guess I'll get some and try them out and just go from there. Thanks for all the help.

-A

I thought that in performances the director is supposed to stall while the percussion section confusedly gets stuff together
wink.gif
and the guy with the timpani tunes. Shows you how much I know about percussion, except that they didn't hold much stock in remembering to bring their music.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I thought that in performances the director is supposed to stall while the percussion section confusedly gets stuff together
wink.gif
and the guy with the timpani tunes. Shows you how much I know about percussion, except that they didn't hold much stock in remembering to bring their music.
wink.gif

I know a lot of percussionists who lose music, in fact, a few people owe me parts that I have given them... Oh, and in many pieces, there are timpani pitch changes in the middle of the piece, so even if you tune in the beginning, it may not be what you will need later. Also, there are sometimes small adjustments that need to be made, just like the strings and brass tune to each other, the timpani needs to tune to them.

-A

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Do a search for "Etymotic ER-20", it's been discussed alot here and it's very popular.

I carry mine wherever I go.

Given the price difference, I'd rather buy a whole bunch of ER-20's and have spares in case I misplace one, or those damned underpants gnomes steal something again.

-Ed

I used to do the same until the gnomes got mine.
plainface.gif

If you buy the IM716's you get a coupon for a free one.
biggrin.gif

Anyone willing to sell their ER-20's to me? I think I left mine back at a hockey court where I was playing football (soccer) with some buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back