Ear pad cushions alternative for Sennheiser HD515
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fairgun

New Head-Fier
My ear pad cushions have finally torn apart after 5 years of usage. I want to change it but I could not find anything cheap enough to replace. There are replacement from Sennheiser UK, but it cost 24 pound. It is too expensive for me and especially for this item which only cost $100 or less.

Can anyone recommend the best economic way to replace the ear pad cushions?

Thanks a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 3
I haven't found one... I reached out to Sennheiser North America and got this response:

"You can call us at 1-877-736-6434 and order Part number: 510614 HD 515 - Earpads 1 Pair or your local dealer can order for you. You will enjoy your second pair just as much as the first (if not more) :wink:"

This doesn't really help the headband cushion issue I'm having (it's disintegrating as well), but it would at least get them to a wearable state.

From my perspective, for a pair of headphones I bought in 2004 for USD $62.34, I've more than gotten my money's worth out of them and can justify buying replacement parts.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 3
The most economized way to do it would be from scratch.  Find a piece of foam the density that you want, cut out a couple doughnut shapes and adjust their height to be suitable for the density of the foam, then buy at least a couple square feet of nice cloth from a fabric store and cover them.   Don't mean to be too personal but if your mother is around and into sewing she might have all the materials needed.

Glue the cloth onto the back of the foam, then glue it to the cans.  If you can salvage the snap-in plastic plate piece from the old earpad then you can glue that onto the back of your new pads and have them be removable like the originals were. 

You could get even fancier and use pillow wadding with glove leather cut & sewn over it to make a doughnut, or still cloth instead of leather... it's just making a little pillow with a hole in the middle.

FWIW, one thing that I noticed made mine degrade badly was exposure to UV/sunlight.  I had a pair in the back of my car, half covered by a jacket.  The half that was exposed to the sun had the cushion totally disintegrate into a little pile of fuzzy stuff in a cloth bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back