Ear impressions with a perforated eardrum?
Jul 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

A_Dying_Wren

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Just wondering if anyone has done/knows something about getting ear impressions done with a perforated eardrum. I'm a tad bit worried about the risk of the injection mold getting too far into my ear and damaging my already weakened eardrum. Its probably an overblown worry and I shall be consulting an audiologist soon, but if anyone knows something about it it'd be much appreciated.

It'd be a tad ironic to lose my hearing in pursuit of better sound.

Thanks

On a side note, after much searching I've hit upon my audio nirvana, the Unique Melody Mage. I've had a listen to the demo set and the clarity and soundstage is quite surreal, bass be damned (though still present). Not sure if there are universal/custom alternatives (they can be made into universals).

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 4
While they put a small bit of wadding down against your eardrum during the impression process to prevent the silicone from getting there, I would not risk any manipulations or objects near my eardrum until cleared by the ENT doctor/audiologist.

See the doctor first, he will tell you if its safe, or how long you should wait.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Huh I didn't think the wadding went all the way down into the ear to rest by the eardrum. The perforated eardrum is a permanent thing though. Had it since I was a baby so its a go or no go situation.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 4
There's no chance of the mould material getting to your eardrum.A foam or cotton wad is placed after the second bend of your ear cannal before your ear drum, this will stop any and all material. I've had my ears moulded twice now, and there's been no complications what so ever. Just make sure you're going to a seasoned audioligist who's done moulds for CIEMs or hearing aids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back