Ear Hygiene (please post helpful tips)
May 31, 2011 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheAwesomesauceShow

100+ Head-Fier
Is it weird that an audiophile website/forum that there are no dedicated section on ear hygiene?  Or where to find a clinic that does ear cleaning?  Or how much it is?  The only one I found in my area is called Medic Express.  They charge $100 for ear examination and ear cleaning is between $200-300
eek.gif
(very expensive w/o insurance)

For cleaning yourself, I use Debrox earwax softener then use an ear syringe I bought from CVS to take out the softened ear wax.  Not the rubber syringe but the plastic one that looks like the one with a hyperdermic needle.

P.S. 
  Don't use ear candling!!!! 

Anyone has any suggestions on how to clean/maintain clean ears or where to find clinics, please post them
redface.gif

May 31, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 8
I use some fizzy saline spray from the pharmacist.

http://www.audiclean.co.uk/

Seems to work well, but makes me dizzy for a minute after using it.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 8
Earwax thread!

We have these now and then.

I occasionally use hydrogen peroxide to clear things out. I always rinse it out in the shower afterwards.

Q-Tips are great for regular cleaning. You'll get the argument about wax plugs being pushed farther in, but you can't push in a plug if one isn't there in the first place.

I also use a Japanese mimikaki device. Though I'm really white and have a European background, I get the flaky, dry kind of earwax. The Japanese have some wonderful tools for dealing with this. If you have this, you'll find some wonderful tools on eBay.

I don't see this as any more dangerous than using contact lenses. If you're careful, you can take care of wax issues yourself.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Helpful tips?  Yeah, Q-Tips!

No, seriously, I once left work (hospital lab) at night, and a large moth flew into my ear and lodged in the ear canal.  That was bad enough, but the thing squirmed.  I went back to the lab, got a 60cc syringe (plain end, not Luer-lock) filled it with water, and flushed that thing out.  It was driving me crazy.  In the same way, after ONE ear flushing at the hands of professionals, I do it myself when necessary.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 8
I do nothing.  I think spending a lot of time cleaning the ears is silly and possibly dangerous.  I can hear just fine, and all I do is rinse in the shower with hot/warm water. 

Anything beyond that is obsessive IMO.  If it was better to have no wax in the ears, we wouldn't create wax in the first place. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back