EAR HP4 / Luxman SQ100 / Manley Neo Classic 300B RC (OPINIONS NEEDED!!! :-)
Nov 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
The Luxman integrated has been incredible with every headphone that I have including the T1, HD800, HD650 and K340.  

Those are all high impendence phones, though the 6moons reviews states that it's great with lower loads as well, such as my favourite ATH-W5000. How does your D7000 fares with this looker?

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #32 of 38
My D7000 is out being modified to a LA7000 by Markl at Lawton Audio.   I'm expecting it to be delivered tomorrow so I will post my thoughts of the N100 and the LA7000 soon.

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #33 of 38
I received my modded Denons, the LA7000, yesterday from Mark Lawton (Markl) of Lawton Audio.  So how does the Luxman SQ-N100 drive the low impedance modded Denons???  Well lets just say that the LA7000/N100 combo sounds absolutely gorgeous.  I have to say though, the LA7000 is a totally different animal than the D7000 but I don't want to get off track here so I will leave that to another thread.  This combo sounds so good that I think it will totally dominate my other phones for playing time.   Listening to some jazz and female vocals this morning put a big smile on my face.

Yesterday I also tried my stock K340 on the Luxman.  The K340 is one of the most difficult dynamic cans to drive well.  Many amps can achieve decent volume with the K340 but few can drive it with authority and provide a rich full body sound.  I can say the N100 is one of those few amps that get it right.  In fact, of the amps that I have tried it on, the N100 is clearly my favorite.  I've heard my K340 on the following amps, Grace 901, RSA Raptor, Rudistor RPX33, Meier Opera, SPL Phonitor and the Zana Deux SE.   Driving the K340, IMO of course, none of these amps are even in the same league as the N100.  I guess you can tell I'm pretty happy with my new amp.  My biggest problem now is deciding which headphone I want to listen to.  But that may not be a problem for long with the LA7000 just entering the house.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #35 of 38

Gazza said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's a vote for the Manley 300B. I love my Manley but I wouldn't say it is overly warm but rather seductively organic. It has a natural air about it that gets out of the way of the music and gives you a huge, three-dimensional picture. Build quality is reassuringly battle-ship solid.

Oh, and it's also a jaw-dropping preamplifier in its own right.

Thanks for your analysis! It's helpful to me, Nice writing.

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #36 of 38
I have auditioned all 3 of your top list and bought the HP4. It is by far the most flexible with high Z and low Z inputs and single ended and balanced outs and much much more. Its a fantastic heirloom piece and you will never part with it. Tube rolling is a joy and yields remarkable and precise changes to fit your tastes and phone needs. I use Grado PS 1000s, Grado Ref. 1s, Ultrasone Edition 8s, and whatever comes in for review. Ultra detailed, quiet as a tomb, superb fit and finish, and neutral open precise defintion. Listen with the new Audeze and be amazed. Or try it with your 800's, and hear near perfection. Reveals everything! It will test your upstream gear. Stock, select tubes that are provided are exceptional right out of the box...you may never tube roll. State of the art.

The Luxman is pleasant  and ordinary sounding. The Manley is open, rich and powerful, but not even close to neutral. Not overly quiet as it is provided with cheap tubes. Little flexibility as it is not really supposed to be a headphone amp. Neither are bad and both are cheaper than the HP4...but, the HP4 is so close to perfect that passing on it in favor of either of the other 2 means buyers remorse is absolutely guaranteed!!

I've used headphones for 45 years and the HP4 is worth the effort to afford. Buy it before the price goes up again! It's a Tim de Paravicini designed masterpiece. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #38 of 38

Quote:
I have auditioned all 3 of your top list and bought the HP4. It is by far the most flexible with high Z and low Z inputs and single ended and balanced outs and much much more. Its a fantastic heirloom piece and you will never part with it. Tube rolling is a joy and yields remarkable and precise changes to fit your tastes and phone needs. I use Grado PS 1000s, Grado Ref. 1s, Ultrasone Edition 8s, and whatever comes in for review. Ultra detailed, quiet as a tomb, superb fit and finish, and neutral open precise defintion. Listen with the new Audeze and be amazed. Or try it with your 800's, and hear near perfection. Reveals everything! It will test your upstream gear. Stock, select tubes that are provided are exceptional right out of the box...you may never tube roll. State of the art.

The Luxman is pleasant  and ordinary sounding. The Manley is open, rich and powerful, but not even close to neutral. Not overly quiet as it is provided with cheap tubes. Little flexibility as it is not really supposed to be a headphone amp. Neither are bad and both are cheaper than the HP4...but, the HP4 is so close to perfect that passing on it in favor of either of the other 2 means buyers remorse is absolutely guaranteed!!

I've used headphones for 45 years and the HP4 is worth the effort to afford. Buy it before the price goes up again! It's a Tim de Paravicini designed masterpiece. 

I've also had the HP4 for a couple of years and think it way better than what I've heard at NYC meets etc, but I haven't tried so many amps.  I do have a problem with HD800 sibilance, but that is possibly a combination of source and power cords.  I just swapped for some old GE tubes and need isolation feet now, using my Finite Elemente Ceraballs from my phono amp.  Anyone recommend good isolation for this amp?   Ordering some Pangea AC-9SE and 14SE power cords to see if that helps my HD800 sibilance.   I might have to go back to my warmer Silvanias for the SACD, but breaking in some Sophias now.
  Your description sounds similar to the Robert Levi review.  Did his review inspire you to get the HP4?   I think his recent review is helping regenerate interest in this fine amp, which has been overlooked by a lot of head-fiers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back