EAR HP4 / Luxman SQ100 / Manley Neo Classic 300B RC (OPINIONS NEEDED!!! :-)
Oct 10, 2010 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
EDIT: I think I've narrowed it down to one of these three, but can people comment on one of the three amps in title (or 2 or all) :)

I already own the TTVJ Millett 307a but I want a secondary amp with a very different sound signature:

Pricerange: No more than 4k
please note although my price limit is $4,000...that does not mean that much cheaper amps won't be considered.  A good amp is a good amp and a great value will always be considered

What I am looking for:

1. Amp should be warm, wet, rich and seductive (but not bloated)
  2. I will be primarily using the HD800 and T1 out of this amp
  3. Tubes are preferred, but a great Hybrid or solid state which fits my description would be considered
  4. Black background would be appreciated, but low noise is a must
  5. Cosmetically I don't care what it looks like as long as it sounds great (and is durable!!)
  6. Balanced capability is preferred but a great single-ended amp will be considered

Thanks in advance!!!!

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 38
Hi,

I may be high on life right now, but I just received my 3 channel Beta22/Sigma22 amp and it's working terrifically with the HD800. It's both robust and delicate. It's quite amazing really. Just a suggestion for thought.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 38
I haven't found that to be the case at all. Before I picked it up, I'd heard it was a warm amp. LoL

The GLite is bright in comparison. The bass depth and impact of the Beta22 would put that to rest in itself. The upper mids and highs are also pushed back a bit further when compared to the GLite. If you think the HD800 has a upper spike, be assured, the B22 tames it. This is a super amp thus far.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 38

Quote:
I haven't found that to be the case at all. Before I picked it up, I'd heard it was a warm amp. LoL

The GLite is bright in comparison. The bass depth and impact of the Beta22 would put that to rest in itself. The upper mids and highs are also pushed back a bit further when compared to the GLite. If you think the HD800 has a upper spike, be assured, the B22 tames it. This is a super amp thus far.

Thanks! I'll look into the B22 then.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 38
I use HD800s too, mostly, and I like my Leben a lot - I call it the CS300XA, because it has the "X" upgrades and it's retubed with NOS Amperexes (which are nearly as old as I am.)  It has many virtues, including a totally non-scientific "X-factor" ... I remember when it first arrived, with the stock Sovteks, I plugged it in to check that it had survived the shipping, and I listened for a second to make sure it was working ... and then ... suddenly the whole album was finished.  I had been entranced for 40 minutes.

Over the years I have come to believe that a dead-quiet, low- to medium-powered, old-fashioned integrated is the best headphone amp.  It's even worth trying straight out of the speaker taps.  (Or if you like the convenience of the jack, take out the padding resistor.  Due to the logarithmic nature of power delivery, you get some leeway with the volume control.)  Headphones require very low average power, but major headroom helps a lot.

OTOH my favorite solid state alternative is the Luxman P-1u - surprisingly warm, wet, rich and seductive.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 38

Quote:
Yoshino EAR HP4 with 4 x NOS 6SU7GTY TUNG SOLS Brown base, black glass from the 40's or earlier 50's.

Very good reccomendation for this amp. Im not too familiar with tube rolling it, so No comment on that, but the amp I heard was outstanding.

I would also add a SP MPX3 (thats been checked out, bla bla, bla) to the list of stuff to try.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #10 of 38
Here's a vote for the Manley 300B. I love my Manley but I wouldn't say it is overly warm but rather seductively organic. It has a natural air about it that gets out of the way of the music and gives you a huge, three-dimensional picture. Build quality is reassuringly battle-ship solid.

Oh, and it's also a jaw-dropping preamplifier in its own right.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 38
David, are you going to buy the Apex Pinnacle? I take it from this thread that you won't buy it. I find it interesting that many people prefer a horizontal approach (having multiple headphones and amps) rather than spend money vertically ( putting together a single chain from outlet to phone, with each piece being the best they can afford). I want to build vertically, but have instead bought multiple Grados and amps.

On topic, I love the sound of the HP-4. It is detailed and full-bodied and has a rightness to the sound.

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 38
I would love to be able to afford the Pinnacle.  But I don't see that happening for a year at least.  I figured I'd trade up when ready.  I like my 307a too much to sell it for anything less than I paid 7 months ago.  If someone wants to give me $5,000 for it, I'd consider it.

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 38
Please just buy all three and return the two you don't like. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
   I'd like your impressions of them vs. the Pinnacle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back