EAR HP-4: Which headphones rae the best match for someone who loves Metal?
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gazza

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings,

I've decided to finally, finally get a decent home headphone amp as blasting Metal until 1 in the morning while I study isn't really a viable solution. The HP-4 caught my attention as it seems to be beautifully made, can act as pre-amp (I'll still want to blare my speakers every so often) and is meant to be an amazing sound amp. That, and I've always wanted to wallow in the seductive world of tubes.

I already own the JVC/Victor HP-DX1000 but I'm looking for an open pair of 'phones to complement them. I've narrowed it down to either the Grado PS-1000 or the Sennheiser HD-800. As you've surmised from the thread title I'm a Metal aficionado and as such would like cans that won't sound too polite.

To make it easier for you guys the kind of sound signature I adore is the kind of sound you get with Naim/Densen products; basically a very healthy dollop of PRaT and fast, deep punchy bass. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Grados as from initial impressions of the 800s that they may be a tad polite.

I understand few people have heard either headphones but many are familiar with either product's house sound. Also, if you think there may be a pair of headphones that I haven't mentioned that I should consider then by all means suggest away.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not a metal head, but I am about to get a HP-4. I like acoustic jazz and like the snap and attack that I currently get with my Joe Grado HP-2s and my Aural Audition solid state amplifier. I'm going to pair the HP-4 with Joe Grado HP-2s or John Grado PS-1000, whichever sounds better. Please post your tube experiments if you do any tube-rolling.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 5
ear hp4 with grado rs-1 is by far the best headphone setup i've ever heard. i prefer the rs-1 over the hp2 but i havent heard the ps1 or ps1000 for that matter to comment. i own a naim headline2, that is also another option. they are both killer amps. while i havent heard the aural audition, a trusted ear friend of mine has heard it and gives it the thumbs up but prefers the naim amp as it's more pacey.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can act as pre-amp

The output on the rear is a loop-out, not a preamp out. You can use it as a preamp if you plug a splitter into one of the headphone jacks. Not optimal.

If you go with the HP4, try to find an HP-1000. This is the killer amp for that headphone.

A downside is that the case is built for Sovtek 6SL7's, as is the circuit. The Sovtek tube is a short-bottle tube. Many of the good 6SL7's used a tall bottle that does not fit in the case (when I had my amp, I had a custom case built for it). Further, some of the older 6SL7's were built for less power than the modern ones. Certain 6SL7's can get used up very quickly.

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 5
Hmmm, that's worrying. Maybe I should consider the Zana Duex or the Woo 5LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back