EAR HP-4 Question
Aug 29, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Schizorabbit
Would anyone reccomend this product for a headphone setup which didn't include HD600's w/Cardas?

If you've got the money, it will drive just about any dynamic headphone out there. It has output transformers for both low and high impedance headphones. It also has transformer-coupled inputs. Inputs can be single-ended or balanced. It's got passthrough outputs to connect to a speaker amp if you want. Output is single-ended. It uses a quad of 6SL7GT's.

It's particularly good with Grado's, as well as Sennheisers and just about anything else. I'd think twice about spending US retail price though. You can get the perfomance out of the Singlepower amps (if not as much power) at much less cost. You'll also need to do some serious tube hunting to find the ones that sound best to you (and they may not be the same for each headphone). One of the best commercially available headphone amps around, but the price is high. If you can get a used one at a decent price, I'd grab it.

Aug 31, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Watts can be misleading in a headphone amp, as headphone drivers are often driven by voltage rather than current. So, you're likely to see output measured in voltage rather than watts.

In terms of what it can drive, IMO the HP4 strains with the AKG K-1000. Then again, that headphone wants a 7-10 wpc speaker amp. Aside from that, the HP-4 will drive any dynamic headphone.

My personal favorite headphones with this amp include the Sony R10, Grado HP-1, Grado RS-1, Sony CD-3000, and Audio-Technica W2002 (finally! An amp that makes this headphone sound good to me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back