EAR HP-4 : are you experienced ?
Apr 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HP-4 is high on my "wanted but highly unlikely I'll ever be able to get it" list.
But who needs another headphone amp if you already have seven (or was it eight)?
I don't.
redface.gif

I just looked at your profile.
eek.gif

May 25, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #49 of 61
Hi, everybody,
I'm going to receive an HP4 for audition next week. I have also ordered a Sugden headmaster. I'll compare both to my Graham Slee solo. I'm listening to classical vinyl LP's. (Sorry for the frequent I's). Sorry also not to have Headroom or Meier Opera for comparison. What is your learned opinion on Headroom or Opera vs. HP4? (Forgive my English)

May 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #50 of 61
Think again before you decide to listen to the HP-4. This may be a point of no return :)

In my opinion, the HP4 is definitely better than the Solo, which in turn is better than the Headmaster. I haven't heard the Opera but don't think it is the same class as the HP4.

F. Lo

May 26, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #51 of 61
Yasha, please let us know your impressions.

I use a Yamamoto HA-02 (with RS1 - waiting for ED9s), and I'm perfectly happy with it, but the curiosity bug is hitting me again. By any chance, has anyone compared the HA-02 to the HP4?

Separately, I am considering an EAR 868 preamp for my speaker rig, and I shudder to think how the HP4 would sound fed by the EAR preamp. That could be the ultimate setup. I think someone commented in a thread a long time ago that Tim de Paravicini had said that the HP4 benefits from being fed by a preamp . . .

May 31, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #52 of 61
Hi,
I'd like to share my impressions on these sets.
Listening with the HP4 brought least fatigue and was throughout enjoyable (+). However, the questions arose: was the music ment to be that way? (-) I usually feel, that music is about suffering, namely, with discomfort being its integral part. It is like the harmony vs. dissonance approach to music. The HP4 is about the harmony (+), but forgets dissonances (?). Is never harsh. A good person, no doubt about it. I couldn't resist its appeal and decided to keep it.
Never mind, that it broke down in the first hour of use. I just sent it to Mr. de Paravicini to repair. I am forgiving to good persons like this HP4...
Meanwhile I am listening to Sugden Headmaster. Sorry to disagree with Mr. fcklo, but in my opinion, the Headmaster sounds superior to the Solo. It is nicer (a bit in the direction of HP4), less harsh and more profound. It is situated, on the harmony-dissonance scale, between the Solo and the HP4, which qualifies it for balance, prudency and, I'd dare to say, maturity. I also found its operation as a preamp adequate and unobtrusive: it caused no deterioration of sound in my system. So, I decided to keep the Sugden as well.
I am afraid, my Solo has to go nearby my TV-set. It served me so well,,, And even if I could notice, that it were in some respects equal to the Sugden (perhaps, it is as analytical?) - it won't be enough to keep it with my system. I must say, that it is good for the price and excellent for the dimensions, thought. An excellent amplifier to go travelling with.

May 31, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasha.Z. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
Meanwhile I am listening to Sugden Headmaster. Sorry to disagree with Mr. fcklo, but in my opinion, the Headmaster sounds superior to the Solo. It is nicer (a bit in the direction of HP4), less harsh and more profound. It is situated, on the harmony-dissonance scale, between the Solo and the HP4, which qualifies it for balance, prudency and, I'd dare to say, maturity. I also found its operation as a preamp adequate and unobtrusive: it caused no deterioration of sound in my system. So, I decided to keep the Sugden as well.
I am afraid, my Solo has to go nearby my TV-set. It served me so well,,, And even if I could notice, that it were in some respects equal to the Sugden (perhaps, it is as analytical?) - it won't be enough to keep it with my system. I must say, that it is good for the price and excellent for the dimensions, thought. An excellent amplifier to go travelling with.

Hi Yasha,

It is perfectly o.k. to disagree with me
smily_headphones1.gif
No bad feelings at all. We need diversity in opinion to make this community worth.

The Headmaster is smooth, but I think the Solo has more slam and react better to dynamics / transients. But as I heard them at different times and the fact that I owned a Solo for quite few months my impression is naturally more firm on the Solo (BTW, mine is with PSU1 which makes a good difference compared to the Solo standard).

You mentioned that the HP-4 failed after the first hour. This is something I heard first time. Can you describe the failure - was it a blown fuse, or pop & smoke, or channel unbalance .... ? Was your HP-4 a new one ?

I have been using mine for quite a while and have no problems at all.

F. Lo

May 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #54 of 61
What tubes are you using in the HP4? They make a big difference regardless of what Mr. de Paravicini says.

I liked the Sylvania VT-229, Tung-Sol VT-229 and Philips later production 6SL7.

Mitch

May 31, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mentioned that the HP-4 failed after the first hour. This is something I heard first time. Can you describe the failure - was it a blown fuse, or pop & smoke, or channel unbalance .... ? Was your HP-4 a new one ?

F. Lo

Hi, fkclo,
first, not all the outputs did work, some were silent
later, some rustle in the left ear, getting stronger until the pop and smoke occured.
the set was (supposed to be) new, I got it from Mr. de Paravicini (he has no representative in Finland). I sent it back for repair. He promised to look at it very carefully before returning. I am really curious as to what this could be caused by? Any suggestions, please, everybody, before it is too late
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #56 of 61
The HP-4 has just returned from England, repaired. I was told it was a matter of a capacitor which failed and caused other problems. The output jacks were resoldered to fix the problem that I reported earlier.
I gave it a more thorough listen alongside the Sugden Headmaster. I would now say that I don't see advantages of the Sugden anymore compared to HP4. It is just harsher and more distorting, especially on loud passages in higher register. In this way it really brings important details more forward than the HP4 - but in a wrong way, I would say. The details sholdn't be distorted or harsh. However the Sugden is not bad at all in the bass and in the middle. The overall impression of the sound is thinner though (with Sugden). With HP4 I had an impression of sitting in the concert hall. There was no fatigue associated with listening through speakers or headphones.
Could anyone tell me, what would be a serious contender to this amp? Perhaps a Ray Samuel or a Brocksieper (although much cheaper)?

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #57 of 61
There's an HP4 on Audiogon right now for $2222! I saw it yesterday and thought for sure it would've been sold by now but it's still available...

AudiogoN ForSale: EAR HP4

If I was looking for a high-end dynamic tube amp I would've been all over this! Someone buy it before I do something rash and completely not thought out!
tongue.gif
I know someone will save me from my wallet doom! I almost want it but I have to save towards other stuff!

Ultimate dynamic tube amp for low-impedance headphones right there folks, I'm sure whoever buys it will love it!

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #58 of 61
Send p.m. to the guy 5-6 hours ago, but still no answer yet
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an HP4 on Audiogon right now for $2222! I saw it yesterday and thought for sure it would've been sold by now but it's still available...

AudiogoN ForSale: EAR HP4

If I was looking for a high-end dynamic tube amp I would've been all over this! Someone buy it before I do something rash and completely not thought out!
tongue.gif
I know someone will save me from my wallet doom! I almost want it but I have to save towards other stuff!

Ultimate dynamic tube amp for low-impedance headphones right there folks, I'm sure whoever buys it will love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back