EAR HP-4 : are you experienced ?
Oct 6, 2006 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm about to pay a big sum for this jewel
rolleyes.gif
; it's been vouched more then one time to be the very best match for the ps-1 , given my love for them I'm willing to give it a try ( I hope that even the hp-2 will be comfortable with it )

I'd like to know what's your experience ( even meet experience / tube experience / whatever ) with the little Yoshino .

Thanks really

[size=xx-small]edit : I'll be pairing it with a fine and bass capable source ( wadia 301 , or hopefully soon a 861se or a 302 )
[/size]

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 61
I've heard the EAR HP-4, it was under meet conditions. I spent quite a bit of time with it, just because it was so good. I listened to a variety of headphones with it, Grados, AT's and Sennheisers. It was fantastic with all of them. It's a great looking amp too. It has four headphone jacks, two high, two low, and a wide variety of inputs, balanced & unbalanced. The EAR HP4 is definately a contender in the world of top headphone amps.

- augustwest

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 61
Congratulations!

I just got one delivered Monday!! I regretted selling the last one before it even left my apartment.

DSCN5592.JPG

It has the Ratfink Seal of Approval. Having it again makes me free up time to listen to music. And there’s just something very satisfying driving that big brass volume knob.

It’s not little and it’s reasonably heavy. It’s an excellent match for the PS-1’s. The stock Sovteks can be improved upon and the 6SL7’s are not expensive. Right now I’m using Sylvania VT-229’s in the back and Philips 6SL7’s in the front.

Have you gone over Hirsch’s thread on tube rolling the HP4?

I know tone and Zanth are HP4 owners.

I’m breaking in the HP4 \ PS-1’s in anticipation of a no holds bared death match against the Aristeaus \ HE90’s. Hopefully it will be winner take all and not a split decision.

Mitch

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 61
nice hype , and thanks for congrats .. please braillediver , keep me posted about it as it burns ..
I've alredy asked and discussed with Zanth on the purchase and he seems to be quite all positive about

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 61
Talk about a timely thread. I am just about to order an HP4 as well.

(Even though this is my first post, I have been reading these pages for the past couple of years. So as part of my first post, my wallet would like to thank you all for fostering this disease.)

Anyway, for those interested there was an HP4 for sale on ebay (in the UK), even though it was shipping from San Francisco. There were 0 bids, and I know the amp is still available. The seller never answered my questions so I didn't bid. If you're interested in buying used, you might want to follow-up.

Finally, I may move back to the US in the near future. Does anyone know how easy it is to change the voltage? Could anyone do it, or do I need to send it in?

Thanks everyone.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 61
Welcome to head-fi.

Talk about timely post .. I'm buying that particular hp-4 my friend .
I'm in normal contact with the seller and we're finalizing the sale at the moment ( payment/shipping/blabla ) .

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartagnan
Finally, I may move back to the US in the near future. Does anyone know how easy it is to change the voltage? Could anyone do it, or do I need to send it in.

If you know how to solder, it's pretty easy to change the voltage. The transformer has taps for 120 and 240v, and all you've got to do is hook up the appropriate tap. I've got an illustrated quide on doing this (originally prepared by zzz) if I can find it. The US distributor will do the work for a minimal fee ($50 or so).

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I'm about to pay a big sum for this jewel
rolleyes.gif
; it's been vouched more then one time to be the very best match for the ps-1 , given my love for them I'm willing to give it a try ( I hope that even the hp-2 will be comfortable with it )

I'd like to know what's your experience ( even meet experience / tube experience / whatever ) with the little Yoshino .

I sold my HP4 before I owned the PS-1, so I can't comment on that match. However, the HP4 is one of the best amps around for the HP-1000. Your HP-2 will be very happy.

Oct 6, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 61
“Does anyone know how easy it is to change the voltage?”

It’s as simple as unsoldering one wire and soldering another in its place. It would take longer to properly package the amp for shipment than it does to change the voltage.

I did it myself rather than take the risk of shipping the amp anywhere for service.

DSCN2288.JPG

If I decide to keep the HP4 I Will be looking into doing some tweaks and modifications to it. I’m very interested in seeing if the HP4 can be used with 12AX7 tubes in a 6SL7 adapter. That would open up an incredible amount opportunity to tube roll.

It is expensive but few items have given me this much pleasure.

Mitch

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 61
RS1 SR225 W2002 W5000 HD650 K701 DT880, all were very well served by the HP4 in stock form. I cannot comment on the PS or HP Grados as I have not had the privilege of hearing them. I doubt you will regret this purchase.

Oct 6, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
Welcome to head-fi.

Talk about timely post .. I'm buying that particular hp-4 my friend .
I'm in normal contact with the seller and we're finalizing the sale at the moment ( payment/shipping/blabla ) .

If you want confirmation or just to have someone eye-ball the amp before it is shipped to you, I live in SF and would be willing to check it out for you -- assuming the seller was comfortable with meeting me to do so. PM if you want to follow up on that thought.

Oct 6, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
If you want confirmation or just to have someone eye-ball the amp before it is shipped to you, I live in SF and would be willing to check it out for you -- assuming the seller was comfortable with meeting me to do so. PM if you want to follow up on that thought.

This is really generous of you Voltron!

A prime example of why I feel Head-fi is a distinctly awesome forum, nearly a close knit extended family as it were. Really great stuff.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron

I'd definitely be glad if you did it , anyhow from what I understood from the mail exchange we have had the seller run quite busy life ( must be a studio pro eng. , or else or more ) .

The amp is paid and should be shipping out on monday - I asked the seller some pict with date and signature side of the amp , it seems that the sale is legit . I should have better asked a serial number but I didn't .

this is one pic

DSCN0167.jpg

notsoshinyplatehereasyoursbraillediver
frown.gif
tongue.gif

ps Amp is more then 1 year old .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back