Ear+HD chassis and layout (updated pics page 3)
May 5, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #46 of 105
I finished it last night, and even listened for a while. Very happy so far! I still have my original Ear+HD, so I will be able to compare them side-by-side.

Power-on pics tonight, and also some comparo pics of the original next to the new one, both topside and under the deck. Also, Lloyd was kind enough to send me a set of nameplates for the amp. I have not applied the plate yet, as there are a couple location options. I may ask for opinions if they both look decent. Must preserve the heritage of the amp!
wink.gif

The new chassis, incidentally, is the same width and length as the Welborne chassis. I did this 'just in case' I forgot how to make a reasonably decent-looking mitre joint. Hey, I'm getting rusty. Or, if the case was damaged or whatever, I can always scoop up the Welborne chassis and install the top plate on that. Mine is a slightly different height, though, and also has the plate installed in a rabbett, versus screwed down from the top.

I will also post a list of component revisions between the amps, and also recap the circuit differences.

May 5, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #47 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
I finished it last night, and even listened for a while. Very happy so far! I still have my original Ear+HD, so I will be able to compare them side-by-side.

eek.gif
Can't wait to see it Mark, I bet it's
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #48 of 105
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I swapped out the 1.75 ohm filament dropper for a 2 ohm, and the filaments are now at 12.66 volts. That's better.
biggrin.gif

Preliminary foot question: cones or pucks?
I'm thinking that some 1" diameter x 7/8" tall gold cones would look nice, and would compliment the socket mounts.
Alternatively, some aluminum pucks, same diameter (2") as the volume knob, with a single bearing on the bottom, or a sorbothane pad, would also look decent. Any thoughts?

May 5, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #49 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Preliminary foot question: cones or pucks?
I'm thinking that some 1" diameter x 7/8" tall gold cones would look nice, and would compliment the socket mounts.

It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that bling! Personally, I think with the silver knobs and polished stainless top I'd go Al for the cones.

May 5, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #50 of 105
My favorite feets are these:

Aa130.jpg

About .77"D x .84"H - get em from MOON Equipment in So. Cal.

ok,
erix

May 5, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #51 of 105
Never considered that route, erix. Functional, and practical. You don't often hear them in the same sentence.

Believe me, I wanted to take some pics last night, but I've already had a three nights this week where I only got 3 to 3.5 hours sleep. My eyes were practically bleeding last night. Staying up for 21 hours wouldn't be so bad if I had a full night's sleep the day before.

I've been working on this amp in one form or another since last September, so being so close- but not quite finished has been painful!

May 6, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #52 of 105
Okay, no feet yet. Those are just some old knobs I had stuck under there to hold it up for now. And the Mapletree nameplate is just sitting there, I may mount it in the center, or not at all.
Ear+HD_Birch2.jpg

Mmm... tungsten, with lights off:
tungsten.jpg

Reflection of getter in the top plate:
Ear+HD_getter.jpg

Look, a pair of Ears:
Ear+HDx2.jpg

May 6, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #55 of 105
Thanks, I'm liking it pretty well
smily_headphones1.gif
, and am glad I did not rush it. It sounds pretty darn nice, too, though it only has about 45 minutes on it so far.

The stainless transformer bells are actually 35mm film processing tanks, by the way.

May 6, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #59 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Looks gorgeous! I think the nameplate would be nice in the center.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like this?
centered_plate.jpg

From the top I like it centered better also, but from a lower angle, it then blocks the reflection of the 5751 somewhat...
rolleyes.gif
. I'm not sure just yet what I'll do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
blink.gif

I hope you're bringing that beauty to the next meet!

Soon, I hope.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITZBITZ
Wow, that transformer arrangement looks... ahem... interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, I know you!
wink.gif
Long time, Chris. This is what I've been up to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back