Ear hair removal for improved sound quality
May 3, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #47 of 51
I was going to start a new thread but figured it would be better to just revive an old one, hope you all dont mind...

Every year since my late twenties my ear hair growth has steadily increased, Im 37 now  and my ear/nose hair growth rate is now just insane! I've used trimmers and tweezers but decided to try singeing it for speed and effortlessness and Im pleased to say that it actualy works very well.. probably too well !

I accept no responsibility if anyone burns themselves or singes their head hair in the process

My method- tilting my head to the side so as not to singe my head hair I simply spark a lighter inside my lug hole for maybe half a second and then immediately extinguish the burning hairs with my finger so as not to burn myself then repeat until Im happy that Im rid of it all then go for a shower to clean my ears properly and to get rid of that singeed hair smell.. :D

The results are excellent.. you actually do get a proper 100% seal because even the smallest furry hairs are removed and with my TF10's you have to remove your IEM's very slowly otherwise you will hurt/damage your eardrum due to the vaccum created.
The bass increases by huge amounts.. too much for me but some may like it.   Iem's that are generally lacking in bass will likely have it filled in after doing this..

Again, although I have been doing this for the last 8 months without hurting myself... this is potentialy dangerous and I accept no responsiblity for anyone else trying this, so be very careful if you do.

May 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #48 of 51
I have read a lot of odd things in the world of audio tweaks, but this is just plain awesome.

Makes sense though.  If there's a forest of fur growing in your ears, things might sound a little louder and cleaner after a trim.

May 5, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #49 of 51
Some seem to be reporting that treble is improved but that is certainly not something I've noticed. When you remove obstructive speaker grills from speakers the treble only changes a miniscule amount if atall..
If you have hairy ears like I do, you almost definately wont get a great seal with IEM's, when you remove that hair by burning it, you are also removing all the small 'furry' ones which should acheive an even greater seal than those who dont have to burn the 'pubes' in their lugs.

In my experience It is the extent of the seal and therefore the vaccum that changes the depth and extent of the bass. After a week or two the hair starts growing back and the sound signiture changes again..for the better! Imo as my TF10's have adequate bass without a 100% seal, Im definately not a basshead but some may like it... and it also may improve other bass-light IEM's.?

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #50 of 51
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back